Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 02:19:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  Trouble with IGT Sizzling 7s
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trouble with IGT Sizzling 7s  (Read 17175 times)
BJones
« on: May 03, 2009, 03:48:10 AM »

Hi, my friend has an IGT Sizzling Sevens that will not work properly.  Its a slightly older model, and my guess is late 90s or 2000 or so.  I have zero slot experience and deal with only Pinballs (I am a pinball collector).  The game will turn on and all lights power up, except there is nothing on the displays.  I was told that when the game was powered on, it would give an error code with no lights.  I printed off a sheet with the error codes and likely suspects, but the game didn't even do this anyway.  No problem as I have them for future reference. 

Could someone help me out by walking me though some steps and things to look at on this game?  Like I said, I don't have any slot knowledge at all, only knowledge about Pins Smiley.

Thanks for your time and help,
Brandon
MEHEN GOVENDER
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 08:29:22 AM »

Hi Brandon

I am correct there should be an I/O card on the door just below the display theres a capacitor that goes bad on them  replace the capacitor or just swap the board out with one from a working machine if it does not work send a picture of the door so i can see with model it is

best of luck
mehen
Slottex
Contributing Gold NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 120

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 09:23:13 AM »

Try checking fuses on power supply bottom right hand side, also check the wiring harness going from power supply to mother board. Some times the connection at the mother board fails, you will see a brown spot on the molex connector at the mother board if this is the problem !

Hope this helps
Ron (r273)
NLG Welcome Wagon & General Chat
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 401

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 10:53:34 AM »

Try checking fuses on power supply bottom right hand side, also check the wiring harness going from power supply to mother board. Some times the connection at the mother board fails, you will see a brown spot on the molex connector at the mother board if this is the problem !
Hope this helps

Here is a picture of the connector. You have to slide out the hopper after you turn off the power. The picture shows the molex connector pulled and turned around to see the burn spot. Sometimes you can replug it and it works. Sometimes you have to replace the short harness.

And welcome to NLG, you may find a new hobby here.

Ron

* S+ Burnt_Conn..JPG (162.69 KB, 592x400 - viewed 427 times.)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 11:00:19 AM by r273 » Logged
BJones
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 03:00:37 PM »

Wow, you guys are quick!  Thanks very much for the replies.  It will be next week before I can get back to the game as it is not here at my house on hand. 

You may very well be right, as I've been wanting to pick up a slot or two for something different.

Thanks for the welcome,
Brandon
dpalmi
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 291

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 10:03:22 PM »

Hello!

Also - frist, with the machine off, spin one of the reels with your hand.  Then, turn the machine on and do the same thing.  Do the reels feel stiff now with the power on?  Or do they spin just like when it was off?

Dan #2

A great man once said, "I was told last time I would get a piece of cake."

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 01:28:23 PM »

Hiya BJones,
First of...Welcome to New Life Games!
We will be able to help you more if you can post a picture of both the award glass
and the reel glass that shows what is or is not being displayed.
Also, behind the reel glass is a pc board up against the glass.
Are there wires going into it?
BJones
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 12:05:00 AM »

Well I went over there on my lunch break to take a gander at it, and forgot my camera.

The serial number is as follows:
Model # B5027CFW
Seial # 494372

I'll swing back by tomorrow and get some pictures.

I checked the fuses (all good), the connector behind the hopper wasn't burned either.

I am assuming the I/O board is sandwiched between a metal plate and the door?  Also, how do you get the protector plate out off in front of the control board?  It has a black handle but won't come up or straight out. 

The reels move freely with power as well.  The board behind the reel glass is there and all connectors are on it.

How do I get behind the award glass at the top of the machine?

Thanks,
Brandon
BJones
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 12:31:30 AM »

I forgot to add, I believe on the serial sticker, there was a Refurb date of 03/96.

Brandon
OhioGaming

Total Karma Storms: 297

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 12:32:36 AM »

Serial number indicates it is about a 94 model .. S+. Check the back side of the white connector for burn marks.
dpalmi

Total Karma Storms: 291

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 02:54:22 AM »

The reels move freely with power as well.  The board behind the reel glass is there and all connectors are on it.

Serial number indicates it is about a 94 model .. S+. Check the back side of the white connector for burn marks.

Hello Brandon,

I agree - if the reels move freely with the power on just like when the power is off, that means the MPU board is not getting power.  That's the board in the silver tray with the black knob behind the hopper.  It comes out by pulling that black knob straight up towards the top of the machine.

Dan #2

A great man once said, "I was told last time I would get a piece of cake."

knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 05:46:55 AM »

Power, for sure.  Was this game ever working for your customer?  If you've already replaced the fuses, I'd check and try replacing that cable, even if you don't see really obvious burn marks.  At a minimum, check both ends of the cable (both where it plugs into the motherboard and the end that plugs into the power supply, which is the rectangular silver box in the lower right corner of the machine).  Try plugging and unplugging each end a few times to somewhat clean any oxidation off of the connections.

Indeed, the MPU board is behind the hopper as Dan said.  That "protector plate" with the handle is actually the tray that the board is mounted in.  With the power off, lift firmly straight up on the handle.  It'll jerk loose (if it's really wedged in there, try shifting to the left and right as you apply upward pressure), at which point you can then pull towards you and remove the MPU board tray.  Look for any obvious burns on there, too, as that could be the problem.  My money is still on that stupid cable, though.  Don't remove or insert the MPU board tray when the power switch is on.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
idylewild1

Total Karma Storms: 140

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 10:37:53 AM »

With the reels spinning freely with the power on it's more than likely the power connector mentioned above. If you need a connector send me your address and I'll send you one at no charge as a welcome gift to NLG. Hope this will fix your machine.

BJones
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 10:45:33 AM »

Ah thanks very much for the help.  If the problem is indeed the connector, are there cheap replacements available or am I better off cutting the burnt one off and putting a new connector on?

BJones
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 10:47:05 AM »

Wow, thanks idylewild!

I'll swing by and take a look today or tomorrow during my lunch break. 

Brandon
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 07:02:14 PM »

K+ to idylewild for his nice offer.   applause

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
BJones
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 09:01:30 PM »

Well it looks like i owe some people a beer if I ever see them.  I'll be damned if the backside of the connector was burned (2nd or 3rd pin on the right if I remember correctly).  I'll take you up on your offer for that cable, but in the future if I need to get another one, where do I go to get one?   I didn't see them on Happ.

Thanks very much, 
Brandon
bunnyslots
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1006

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 09:21:44 PM »

Hi Brandon
If you want to play the machine while you wait for the connector here is something you can try
With the machine off open the door and remove the bottom coin tray and pull out the hopper
With the machine open power it up and jiggle the burnt connector slowly up and down until you see the reels energize (they wont spin)
Then put everything back and close the door and you should be good to go. I did this for years on one of my machines until
I broke down and replaced the cable. If you are afraid of electricity have your wife do it. Mine does it and she has a full head of very curly hair
Ron

BJones
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »

Hehe, as far as electricity is concerned, I can't tell you how many times I've been shocked inside pinball machines.  I'll see if I can give that shot.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 12:24:56 AM »

Bunny,
I don't think it matters if your hair is straight or curly...
my guess is that if you'd get a good electrical jolt,
all the hairs on a human head would turn straight! Tongue Out

My wife now thinks you're a very bad man.... bust gut laughing
Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS

Total Karma Storms: 288

513-984-2201

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 01:29:44 AM »

Brandon    since you worked on pinball machines, then you must have come across these type plugs, especially on Bally and Williams machines.They never engineer their power supply for the proper amount of current and always seem to do this to general illumination plugs. Anyway you can fix this yourself, have done it for years and never had one that didn't work.  remove the harness from machine,involves cutting a few tywraps,   on the opposite side of the connector that is pictured,there are slots that correspond to each wire, at the top of the slot there is a raised tab that pushes against the plug housing, (Use a exacto knife ) with the knife gently press that tab down so it is flat and no longer pushing against the housing. then remove the contact  by placing the knife at the end of the contact and push it out,  or by pulling on the wire itself.  you will see the contact is almost at a forty five degree pitch, it should be at least sixty or greater. take a needle nose and reshape the back curved part to achieve this.Also clean the contact and remove any film or residue ( I use alcohol and a pink eraser ) then take a single edged razor blade and lift that tab that you flattened to remove  and push connector back into housing until it snaps back in place. After it is assembled you can hold the plug up to a light and look at the spacing between the contact and the top of the housing, and you will see the contact is almost up against the housing. On bad ones there is a big space between the top of housing and the contact ( usually 1/16")

This may seem  like a lot of work, but after you do one, and understand what I am saying, you could perform the repair faster then it took me to type this!!
Should only take ten minutes.
Jim

MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma.
bunnyslots
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1006

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 06:44:21 AM »

Bunny,
I don't think it matters if your hair is straight or curly...
my guess is that if you'd get a good electrical jolt,
all the hairs on a human head would turn straight! Tongue Out

My wife now thinks you're a very bad man.... bust gut laughing

Mr Tacman told me to do it that way, but I was smart and had the wife do it so Tacman is a very bad man

knagl

Kevin

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009, 08:44:36 AM »

I can't tell you how many times I've been shocked inside pinball machines.

You too, huh?  My old EM has zapped me more than once.

BJones
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2009, 10:22:13 AM »

Yeah whenever I pickup a new game, I always check and see if the General Illumination plugs are cooked in the backbox. 

I wouldn't of thought anything similar would happen in a slot machine though.
idylewild1

Total Karma Storms: 140

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 10:09:07 AM »

Your cable is in the mail as of this A.M. Hope this helps.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.