Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 07:53:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  BALLY Game Maker. (Moderator: tacman)
| | |-+  Leaving Machine on
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Leaving Machine on  (Read 4950 times)
fastedy1
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« on: May 13, 2009, 06:49:18 PM »

Is it better to leave the machine on for days at a time or just turn it on when you want to use it?? My main concern is monitor life..
rickhunter
SMAA Founder and Chairman
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 226

I Void Warranties

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 07:05:49 PM »

Depends on how often you use it.  It's the same dilemma with PC's.

I keep mine off for the most part and only turn them on when I want to use them, unless it's the weekend in which case I keep them on all the time.  Since I rarely play my games during the week, it's not worth it to have them on.  Personally I think the monitor's life should be an issue, I mean when we all had TV CRT's how often did we do the on/off cycle and the things lasted longer than you typically owned your everyday car.

Come to think of it, my main widescreen CRT (yes CRT) is now around 9 years old.  I've gone through 3 cars during that period.

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
idesign
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 509

If it aint broke why mess with it?????

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 09:12:36 PM »

Screen burn will eventually be another issue if you just leave it on.
jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 624

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 09:24:57 PM »

Depends on how often you use it.  It's the same dilemma with PC's.

I keep mine off for the most part and only turn them on when I want to use them, unless it's the weekend in which case I keep them on all the time.  Since I rarely play my games during the week, it's not worth it to have them on.  Personally I think the monitor's life should be an issue, I mean when we all had TV CRT's how often did we do the on/off cycle and the things lasted longer than you typically owned your everyday car.

Come to think of it, my main widescreen CRT (yes CRT) is now around 9 years old.  I've gone through 3 cars during that period.

I do what Rick does.. mine stay off for the week and on for the weekend.

StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 10:00:52 PM »

Screen burn will eventually be another issue if you just leave it on.

Not necessarily. My 24 mains have an attract mode that starts just two minutes after play ends as long as there are NO CREDITS (important) on the machine. It cycles from the main menu to one of the 10 games and back, moving through all 10 games, and then repeating in an infinite loop. Some of the games also have splash screens that are displayed. In this mode, the screen doesn't stay on any one image for more than 10 seconds.

However, this option failed to work when I used the 22 mains, even though the option to add custom text and to turn it on was present. So I guess that the mains installed matters.

Having said this, I still power off my game when it will not be used for a few days. If I know that I'm going to play it for two or three days in a row, then I just leave it on. Don't forget to make sure that you plug the machine into a decent surge protector! That could be more important than whether or not you leave it on.

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
tacman
Topic Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 446

Genius in training.

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »

I turn mine off as well. Not luck enough to have LCD's .... Yet! Also, wasn't there something in the old forum about leaving monitors in bright sunlight to negate screen burn? Or was that just an old wives tale?

Dan (tacman)

jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 624

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 11:06:26 PM »

Leaving the monitor in the sun will negate the screen burn - but it will also wash out the picture and make it look faded and dull.   I've seen it happen from display tvs in the store.
tacman
Topic Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 446

Genius in training.

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 11:16:47 PM »

Alas, never an action without the old re-action. no Thanks for the info!

Dan (tacman)

StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 11:33:35 PM »

So screens burn out of the sun and fade in the sun. Skin burns in the sun and fades out of the sun. Isn't life interesting.. stir the pot / get cooking Weird Eyes  Duh!  knockout knockout  bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

You can put sunscreen on your hand to prevent burns. You can put sunscreen on your monitor to prevent your seeing that you got burned on that last hand!  arrow arrow slap Duck! Duck! Duck!  rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Ron (r273)
NLG Welcome Wagon & General Chat
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 401

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 10:08:49 AM »

You can put sunscreen on your monitor to prevent your seeing that you got burned on that last hand!  arrow arrow slap Duck! Duck! Duck!  rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao
[/quote]

Boy you can learn so much stuff here!  stir the pot / get cooking bust gut laughing
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.