Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 20, 2024, 01:16:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  IGT I-Game and Game King.
| | |-+  3902 Board issues
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3902 Board issues  (Read 6915 times)
MrBellMan
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 153

Wild Thing!

« on: August 08, 2009, 03:30:32 AM »

I have a 3902 board go belly up on me and I was wondering if someone might know what to look fir to fix the issue.

As soon as I put the board in the game and turn it on I get screen garbage (see picture). All of the LEDs on the front of the board are on and the red one blinks. I have tried different games, games with and without SIMMs, with and without the sound board, but it doesn't make a difference.

It there a 3902 manual anywhere that has trouble shooting ideas?

Thanks,

Rob

* IMG_3097.JPG (305.75 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 210 times.)

* IMG_3098.JPG (164.62 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 210 times.)
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 139

we are opened a home sale store on us 58

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 10:28:50 AM »

leg out on chip or bent pin on plug or plugs on back of board
Flexpipe
Contributing Gold NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 154

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 12:12:40 PM »

Could be bad EPROM, as well, have seen that before.

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration
Slotmaster

Total Karma Storms: 172

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 12:34:56 PM »

or a cut trace under the eprom socket (ends) due to a screw driver getting under the stocket instead of between.

MrBellMan
Contributing NLG Member

Wild Thing!

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 01:39:41 PM »

Thanks for the ideas.

I went over the board this morning with a magnifying glass to see if I could find the "screw driver" scrape and found this (see picture)...

I assume this is my issue. If not I have other issues now. There are two missing transistors I believe. The ones next to them are marked "T5D" and have what looks to be a "08" listed sideways. The print is so damn small I can barely read it.  Nerd

Does anyone know if they make a full size replacement component for these micro ones?

Thanks,

Rob

* IMG_3100.JPG (368.3 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 229 times.)
Slotmaster

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 02:05:02 PM »

Thanks for the ideas.

I went over the board this morning with a magnifying glass to see if I could find the "screw driver" scrape and found this (see picture)...

I assume this is my issue. If not I have other issues now. There are two missing transistors I believe. The ones next to them are marked "T5D" and have what looks to be a "08" listed sideways. The print is so damn small I can barely read it.  Nerd

Does anyone know if they make a full size replacement component for these micro ones?

Thanks,

Rob
This was the reason I said cut trace or really something similar like a few chips knocked off.  You had said you tried different software so that ruled out what it normally is when you see snow.  This is aside from putting the GME1 and GM2 in the opposite socket, bent pin or a miss match. 

Tilt

Total Karma Storms: 366

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 02:11:21 PM »

Thanks for the ideas.

I assume this is my issue. If not I have other issues now. There are two missing transistors I believe. The ones next to them are marked "T5D" and have what looks to be a "08" listed sideways. The print is so damn small I can barely read it.  Nerd

Thanks,

Rob

You're missing CR9 and CR15.  Both are common 1N914 switching diodes.  They are available as a full size component, but it will be difficult to mount/solder in.  Your local rad shack should have them.
MrBellMan
Contributing NLG Member

Wild Thing!

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 02:28:47 PM »

1N914 Switching Diodes. Sweet!

I will pick up some, install and report back with hopefully some good news!

Wish me luck!   arrow

Rob
Slotmaster

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 03:19:44 PM »

Good luck and if RS has them I will be super shocked, I have found that most of their stores do not carry these anymore or similar items.  

As noted it will not be easy to solder in but give it a shot.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 10:49:27 AM by Slotmaster » Logged
MrBellMan
Contributing NLG Member

Wild Thing!

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 10:53:17 PM »

RS did have them. $2.79 for 50...  Scratch Head Scratch Head Scratch Head (anyone need some diodes?)

Anyways, I was able to get them soldered in place, but no change. Still snow and no boot.

Thanks to everyone for there help. I guess I will just look for a replacement board.

Rob
CommTech

Total Karma Storms: 251

Joe

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 11:55:59 PM »

RS did have them. $2.79 for 50...  Scratch Head Scratch Head Scratch Head (anyone need some diodes?)

Anyways, I was able to get them soldered in place, but no change. Still snow and no boot.

Thanks to everyone for there help. I guess I will just look for a replacement board.

Rob

How did you determine which direction to install them?
MrBellMan
Contributing NLG Member

Wild Thing!

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 12:00:02 AM »

I got a copy of the schematic.

Rob
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 04:44:15 AM »

RS did have them. $2.79 for 50...  Scratch Head Scratch Head Scratch Head (anyone need some diodes?)

Rob
Rob,

It is hard to tell from the picture, but the trace (The small "wire" in the circuit board) may have been broken as well causing the problem to continue. Also I did spy some bare copper there as well which after soldering the new parts on may cause a short. Not sure to what level of board repair you are comfortable with? May be worth some more effort, but then again, maybe not. Scratch Head

CaptainHappy CaptainHappy

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.