Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 12:19:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Universal Reel/Video Games. (Moderator: uniman)
| | |-+  Universal help needed
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Universal help needed  (Read 19454 times)
penman
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 2

« on: September 27, 2008, 03:01:50 AM »

HI every one, I am a new owner of an old slot machine.  Last weekend I found a Universal – Double Crunch Jackpot – model Y 89 at a garage sale.  The machine had a sign taped to it stating “BROKEN GLASS, BAD CORD and NO KEYS”.  The price was right…FREE.  I took it home.

I cut the face of the door lock to remove the key pins so I could get inside.  I found 300+ $1.00 tokens inside.  I replaced the power cord and plugged it in.  The unit lit up and had a hum from the speaker and a code 12 – battery polarity.  With help found on this site I powered up the unit while holding the reset button… EVERYTHING WORKS! (except a few burned out bulbs)

Now I need some help. 
1) Any idea where I might find a reel glass?
2) It will only accept 2 coins… It won’t accept a coin to credit… It will not credit wins, it pays out in coins only.  Is there a way to set the unit to use credits?
3) Any idea where I might find a matched set of lock and switches with keys?
4) What do the two key switches on the side of the unit do?

Any help would be appreciated.

uniman
Topic Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 695

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 12:13:15 PM »

Nice find!!!
And with all those tokens to boot!
I'm always rubber-necking when I drive by garage sales and never see such deals.  hissy fit

Answer to your questions;
1. For the glass, try BlueRidge Slots. They are one of our sponsors and there is a link at the top of the page. They will need to know the size of the glass. BlueRidge should have bulbs for your machine too.
2. Universal does not have an option for coin-in to credit above the max bet. As far as keeping credits on the machine after a win;
You have two choices, credit selectable and always credit. It is a dip switch setting on the board. Yours is set to credit selectable.
Replace the bulb in the cashout button with a known good one, press the cashout button and leave it lit. Credits will remain on the machine. (It will revert to cashout if no credits are on the machine for a given length of time)
3. I think BlueRidge may be able to help with the locks too.
4. On the side, the top key switch is the jackpot reset key switch. It is turned counter-clockwise to reset a jackpot.
(It also serves another purpose, it can be used to adjust the "time window" for the coin-in optics when in self-test mode #3. I highly recommend you don't play with self-test mode #3 !!!!)
You can;
A. Find a jackpot key
B. Replace the lock with a toggle switch.
C. Just reset the MPU board after hitting a jackpot. (resetting the MPU will cause loss of all credits)
The bottom key switch is used to access the metering reading program. Unless your into statistics, not much use to the home user.

You should pull the board and check the battery for leakage. It is a NiCad battery 3.6v.
When you pull the board, also check the dip switch settings on the eight-pac dip located on the small daughter board at location 1A. Dip #4 determines Credit or Credit Selectable. It should be OFF now. Turning it ON makes it credit only.

Hope this helps.
Uniman
penman

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 04:44:41 PM »

Thanks for the quick response!   applause

I went to the BlueRidge Slots link at the top of the page.  I didn't see an e-mail address or other means to contact them.  Any sugestiond.

Penman applause
OhioGaming
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 297

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 11:40:16 PM »

I clicked on his banner at the top and this phone number was on top of that page .. (703) 730-0821
penman

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 01:52:18 AM »

Wow! - missed that one - must have missed the phone number in the sentence wrap.

Thanks!
penman

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 11:51:58 PM »

Well it's been a couple of weeks now.  Everything is up and running fine. Cactus  Waiting for response on glass. Haven't replaced any bulbs yet.

I have seen posts mentioning replacing bulbs with LED's.  Does anyone have any info on this?  Scratch Head

Penman
uniman
Topic Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 12:54:23 AM »

Well it's been a couple of weeks now.  Everything is up and running fine. Cactus  Waiting for response on glass. Haven't replaced any bulbs yet.

I have seen posts mentioning replacing bulbs with LED's.  Does anyone have any info on this?  Scratch Head

Penman
Universal bulbs are 24v. Most LED's I have seen are rated for 12v. But I did try some 12v LED's in one of my machines and had mixed results. A couple worked just fine and are still working and a couple got very bright and then went very dim. I got them cheap off of eBay.
The real problem with Universals is the plastic insert in the buttons. They yellow with age. Even with the LED's they are still yellow. Need to find a way to create or find a source for new inserts. Also, the three decals in the reel window yellow from age and the heat from the 24v bulbs.

I just looked again at your first post, is the reel glass all that you need? I may have one that matches. Send me a closeup picture and I'll check.
penman

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 10:04:58 PM »

The reel glass is all that is needed. Odie  Let me know if you need a better pic.

Are the small fluorescent bulbs readilly available?

The one above the reels in my machine is burnt out.
The bulb removed is a :

46135 20830
SYLVANIA
Cool White          8W
F8T5/CW______USA

* Universal DCJ3.jpg (190.15 KB, 1504x1000 - viewed 372 times.)
uniman
Topic Moderator

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 01:35:01 AM »

The reel glass is all that is needed. Odie  Let me know if you need a better pic.

Are the small fluorescent bulbs readilly available?

The one above the reels in my machine is burnt out.
The bulb removed is a :

46135 20830
SYLVANIA
Cool White          8W
F8T5/CW______USA

Wow, I guess it is busted!
That reel glass with the yellow stripes looks to be custom for that game. I know I have blue reel glass, not sure if I have an exact match. Right now I'm away from home, will check what I have tomorrow.
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 03:03:55 AM »

The bulbs are easily acquired on the net, check with local vendors of bulbs near you.

Happ even has them, but they are pricey for shipping with a $25 minimum order.  http://www.happcontrols.com/lighting/91300000.htm
Watch happ unless you have them not ship Back orders separately and such you can be hit with multiple S&H charges. They will ship things from different Warehouses as well.

Ace and Home Depot .com didn't have them.

I have visited Target and Kmart stores all I can find are usuable but are not the CW versions of the F15T8 and I think I did see the F8T5 non cool white as well. they will give off more of a yellow/orange light.
I googled the F8T5/CW and found many sites that list them as available.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 03:22:50 AM by foster » Logged

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
penman

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 02:46:31 AM »

I have now done a bit of research and bought some bulbs.

Grainger has about anything you may need in the line of miniature bulbs.  I found one of my small wedge mount bulbs to have a number on it (656).  Grainger sells a direct replacement, Grainger item number for 1 bulb is  1C572 ($1.16 each) or for a 10 pack the item number is 2FMN7 ($7.50 for 10).  The Grainger replacement for the F8T5/CW is item number 2V235 ($5.38 each).

I also found a miniature 24 volt LED that appears to be a direct replacement for the 656 bulb.  The Grainger item number listed is 2FNT2.  It's a bit pricey..... $18.30 each.

Please do your own research.  This info may not be 100% accurate.  Grainger has a great web site and has locations in most major cities.

Penman
blueridgeslots
703 730-0821
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1262

703 730-0821

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 04:28:27 AM »

656 bulbs $3 box 10, brand new blue reel glass $20

Selling Quality Tested and Guaranteed Slot Parts and Machines at Wholesale

http://stores.ebay.com/BLUE-RIDGE-SLOT-SERVICE
slot monkey
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 402

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 03:00:46 AM »

Hey blueridgeslots

I went to your ebay store and didn't see any of the 656 bulbs.

Can you give me more info?

I have a universal rainbow 1993.

I will be needing some parts in the near future.

thanks,

slot monkey

blueridgeslots
703 730-0821
Senior Full time Member.

703 730-0821

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 03:08:40 AM »

$3.00 per box, plus $2 to ship up to 4 boxes, just send a pm

sharon
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 10:54:54 PM »

I'm having trouble with my Universal. I hid a jack Pot and it started to pay out than it stopped. The code that coming up #13 and #50. I checked all the six fuses that was on left side of the machine. They were all right. It does power up but it won:t accept no coins,. I push the max, spin or bet one button and nothing happens. I don't know if their is any more fuses that I should check;                             Thanks Sharon
 uh!
uniman
Topic Moderator

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 11:33:35 PM »

I'm having trouble with my Universal. I hid a jack Pot and it started to pay out than it stopped. The code that coming up #13 and #50. I checked all the six fuses that was on left side of the machine. They were all right. It does power up but it won:t accept no coins,. I push the max, spin or bet one button and nothing happens. I don't know if their is any more fuses that I should check;                             Thanks Sharon
 uh!
Code 13 is a message, "just powered up" and 50 is "the door is open" or "the door was open".
They will not go away until a coin is accepted.

So you hit a jackpot. Did you reset the machine with a reset key?
If you do not have one, no problem.
Do a RAM clear.
With the machine off, open the door (or open the door and shut it off) and pull out your hopper.
Look at your MPU board case on the left. (Some models the MPU case is in back)
There should be a round hole at the bottom. Put your finger in the hole and you feel a small button. You need to hold this button in while turning on the machine. Hold it in for about 3 seconds.
Put your hopper back in and plug it in if you unplugged it while taking it out.
Close the door and lock it. The "Insert Coin" light should be flashing. (If it isn't burnt out)
Should work now.
Let us know how it goes.
(With a RAM clear you will lose all credits that were on the machine)
sharon
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 12:23:26 PM »

I did reset the buttom. It is located just inside the door on top. I also pushed  the service and test switch.Still nothing happens.
sharon
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 12:50:44 PM »

I did reset the buttom. It is located just inside the door on top. I also pushed  the service and test switch.Still nothing happens. I found the button and still nothing happens.  I push the max button and bet one. It does nothing. I can't pull the handle down also.
uniman
Topic Moderator

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 08:45:20 PM »

I did reset the buttom. It is located just inside the door on top. I also pushed  the service and test switch.Still nothing happens. I found the button and still nothing happens.  I push the max button and bet one. It does nothing. I can't pull the handle down also.
The service and test switch will not help. Neither will the yellow reset.
So let's get this straight.
It hit a jackpot. Coins were coming out and it just stopped. Not working since.

I need to know a few more details. Please take the time to answer these questions.

1. What game do you have and what amount did you win when it was paying out?
2. When it just stopped paying out, what error code(s), if any, showed up then?
3. Was the hopper empty when it stopped or still had plenty of coins in it?

These answers will help point me to your problem.
If you can post a picture of your machine, that would be great too!
I'll watch for your reply.
Uniman
sharon
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 02:37:39 AM »

I brought this machine in 1995. It's a universal #7656, if that's  helpful. It's a double jackpot quarter machine. I hit triple double jackpot with three coins in. I only have about 3 hundred coins in the machine. When I hit other jackpots the machine spits out all the coins out. I then refill the hopper with the coins, reset the machine, close the door . The machine would start spitting out the coins needed according how much the jackpot was. I hit the biggest payout the machine has,triple jackpot. This pay out 2400 coins.  The machine spitted out the coins. I refilled it two more times then it wouldn't spit out no more coins. The codes that coming up is #50 and #13. The win meter has 1200 on it. The credit meter has 58. Hope this helpful to you.                                 Thanks   Sharon                                           I also checked to make sure the hopper wasn't jammed.     On the outside of the machine is says that it only pays out 1200 coins the rest to be paid out by the attandent                                             
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 03:24:42 AM by sharon » Logged
uniman
Topic Moderator

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 09:09:11 AM »

Ok, that is helpful.
Sounds like the machine never saw the door get closed after you refilled the hopper. It still thinks the door is open.
There are two places that it checks the door. So try this;
Next to the yellow reset button, inside top right, there is a white push button switch. When the door is closed this switch should be pushed in. If you open the door and just pull ithe white knob out about 1/4" it will close the same contacts and that tells the computer board the door is closed. (a great way to test it)
Now, with the door still open, lock the door. The door lock has a little switch or grey optic inside the door that tells the computer the door is locked.
With the door still open, drop a coin in and see if it is registered. If it is, you may need to adjust the bracket the white switch is mounted to. Loosen the two screws and move the bracket a liittle bit out.
blueridgeslots
703 730-0821
Senior Full time Member.

703 730-0821

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 11:32:59 AM »

If there is a candle on the machine, are both colors flashing at the same time or is only one flashing and one steady on?

sharon
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 11:51:42 PM »

I tried the white switch, pulled it out and everything. I put a coin in and it goes though without register it. Their is a candle on top . The light on top blinks and the buttom stays on. Also the cash out/ pay credit light is on too.Seeing the machine all ready paid out the 1200 coins shouldn't I do something to reset the machine. According to the outside of  the machine the rest of the payout is suppose to paid by an attendant. The pay out was 2400 COINS.      sHARON
uniman
Topic Moderator

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 12:24:14 AM »

I tried the white switch, pulled it out and everything. I put a coin in and it goes though without register it. Their is a candle on top . The light on top blinks and the buttom stays on. Also the cash out/ pay credit light is on too.Seeing the machine all ready paid out the 1200 coins shouldn't I do something to reset the machine. According to the outside of  the machine the rest of the payout is suppose to paid by an attendant. The pay out was 2400 COINS.      sHARON
Perform a RAM reset. Look at the picture below. Open the door, remove the coin tray, remove the hopper. See the white arrow, it points to a hole in the mpu case where the ram reset switch is.
With the machine turned off push the button in this hole and hold it in. Turn on the machine while still holding this button in. Wait 3 seconds and then release the button.
Put the hopper back in, plug it in and put the coin tray back on. It should take coins now.

* ram-reset.JPG (63.49 KB, 480x640 - viewed 360 times.)
sharon
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 03:24:43 PM »

Thank you very much. ITS NOW WORKING.  Just a quck question if you wouln'd mind.  Do I have to grease this machine, if so where. Yhe manual I have has a picture of where I should be greasing but it's real dark and I can't make it out.     Thanks    Sharon
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 06:25:32 PM by sharon » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.