Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 01:30:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  Welcome wagon and General Chat (Off-Topic Post Welcome) (Moderator: Ron (r273))
| | |-+  Slotbox - Spin Reels button for use with PC slot program
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slotbox - Spin Reels button for use with PC slot program  (Read 5845 times)
Paladin
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 63

« on: September 03, 2009, 03:06:53 AM »

I just finished a little slot related project, and thought some of you might be interested.  I'm calling it the Slotbox!

I recently bought the IGT 'Little Green Men' slot machine game for the PC.  One of the things you can do in the game is press the space bar to repeat your last bet.  Not too long ago I also bought a trashed slant top machine (long story) and ended up gutting it, which netted me some spare slot parts including the player buttons.

As I was playing the PC game I remembered that I had an Ultimarc I-Pac interface that I wasn't currently using.  In a nutshell the I-Pac is a small USB board that takes input from switches and outputs keyboard presses to the PC.  It's commonly used in MAME arcade cabinets to interface arcade joysticks and microswitch buttons to a PC in order to play emulated arcade games with 'real' controls.

It occured to me that using the I-Pac to send a space bar input to the PC in order to spin the wheels of the slot machine game would be super easy.  I then wondered if I could power the light bulb as well.  The I-Pac supplies 5 volts from the USB port, but I didn't want to tax the power output of the port.  I knew a regular light bulb probably wasn't a good idea, but an LED should be perfect.

I logged on to Radio Shack and looked up their LED's.  I found a cheap 2 pack of white LED's, item 276-0017.  I also used an online LED resistor calculator and bought some 68ohm resistors to bring the 5v down to the 3.3v of the LED's.  Then I bought a project box to hold everything. 

I bent the legs of an LED so it would fit in the bulb holder, then I soldered it in place.  I also put a resistor in line with the 5v wire.  I drilled holes in the project box for the button, and the USB cable.  I used double sided tape to hold the I-Pac to the bottom of the box.

It works great!  The LED's are only 7000mcd in brightness which I thought would be too dim.  I was thinking of using 2, but one works just fine.  The whole project only took about an hour, not counting 2 trips to Radio Shack and a dinner break.  I was going to move the button to the left and put a coin entry slot to the right, but I must have tossed the coin entry slot as I couldn't find it.

* slotbox1.jpg (117.16 KB, 600x785 - viewed 300 times.)

* slotbox2.jpg (123.3 KB, 600x747 - viewed 291 times.)
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 10:09:34 AM »

Now that's cool. applause propeller  You can sit back in your easy chair and play computer slots. That program isn't the only one to use the space bar to spin the reels, so your box could be used for other slot programs as well.

Your next generation model could have "bet one" and "bet max" buttons, and maybe even "cash out" and "insert coin" buttons if you're feeling adventurous (or you could go over the top and rig a coin drop with a single optic to trigger a coin-in keystroke as you touched on in your post. You might then set up the internal board to be easily reprogrammed so that the box could be made to work with any PC slot program. Hail Hail

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 11:41:47 AM »

Oh , I can see it now...
next we'll be pulling the handle on the side of our lazyboy chairs to activate the spin mode... bust gut laughing
stormrider
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 131

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 12:01:55 PM »

Nice work Paladin I have a mame setup here upright cab 25in monitor, trac ball, with the Ipac 5000+ classic games on it
but also installed little green men CD and a few bally ones too what's best about the little green men CD
is the wife loves some of the titles on that CD and its just like playing the real game besides the fact I cant afford an Igame
so in total I have about 200 different slots to play in my mame I also have them installed on my computer which I might
add your new found spin button project.  applause
reho33
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 146

Slot Losers of America / Tokie Owens

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 12:10:25 PM »

I would like to port winPoker to a coin-in and hopper out within a cabinet program. How does one start to approach this?

** NOTE: The information contained in any of my posts relating to slot machine ownership and use is information that I have gathered from publicly known sources correspondingly under the same protections of Free Speech governed under the Laws of the United States and Canada and is for informational use only. As is my Constitutional Right under United States and Canadian Laws the redistribution of said information is considered a form of free speech. Using this information in the United States or Canada to conduct illegal gambling in states/provinces where it is unlawful has been declared against the law in those states/jurisdictions and as such I do not advocate the illegal use of such information under both the United States and Canadian Laws. All references and examples of personal experiences are hypothetical in nature, and it is up to you to determine if the information presented is applicable to your situation or not**
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 12:37:23 PM »

I would like to port winPoker to a coin-in and hopper out within a cabinet program. How does one start to approach this?

Check out MALA's project. propeller
http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=3159.msg26123#msg26123

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Paladin
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 01:55:04 PM »

I got hold of a touchscreen kiosk a while back.  It has a 17" touchscreen monitor, but the monitor is going out.  I was going to sell it, but then threw in a PC with a touchscreen jukebox program as well as the Little Green Men game.  It turned out to be so much fun that I'm keeping it. 

The touchscreen adds a lot to the game play, especially in the games with a bonus round!
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 04:11:22 PM »

Oh , I can see it now...
next we'll be pulling the handle on the side of our lazyboy chairs to activate the spin mode... bust gut laughing

rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao

CH CaptainHappy

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 04:13:26 PM »

Paladin,

K+ for ingenuity, imagination, and sharing! applause

CaptainHappy CaptainHappy

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
haaswood
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 05:32:15 AM »

I think you are on to something.  I would like to see the idea continued to allow multiple inputs -- i.e. the pull handle and the push buttons.  Could take an old left over PC, a cabinet, etc. and some IGT parts... excellent!  Cool project.
Paladin
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 01:11:39 PM »

The pull handle would be easy, as it would just be wired up to the same input as the 'repeat last bet' button.  The problem is that the games only have keyboard shortcuts for 'insert coin' and 'repeat bet'.  There isn't even a keyboard shortcut for 'spin', so if you use the keyboard number 1 to add coins there isn't a button to make it spin.  What you do is choose your lines/credits with the mouse, then press the button which activates the 'repeat bet' keyboard shortcut which is the spacebar.

To make any other buttons or a hopper/ticket printer work, you'd have to completely dissasemble and reverse engineer the software to accept/send other external input/output, which is way over my head.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.