Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 12:20:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  WMS Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  Please Help - WMS 401 Jackpot Stampede Deluxe
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Please Help - WMS 401 Jackpot Stampede Deluxe  (Read 6565 times)
m77
« on: November 21, 2009, 02:38:29 AM »

So the saga continues.

I have a Jackpot Stampede Deluxe which worked perfectly until the power supply blew.

I did the ATX mod and got all of the LEDs to light.

But the 7-segment display on the CPU read "2"

1. I replaced the battery, still "2"

2. I got a RAM clear chip and tried that.  still "2"

3. I got another CPU board and moved the ROMs over to it.  Still "2"  NOTE - This board is dated 1994, whereas my original board is rev 3 dated 1996.

4. I installed the RAM clear chip in the 1994 board and finally got the displays to fire up - "40   25" and heard the speaker go bong.  I heard a bit of a popping noise from farther back in the machine, but all still seemed to function.

5. I installed the XU3 game ROM back on the new and the display again read 2.

6. I tried swapping the three smaller IC's from the 1994 board to the 1996 board, installed the ROMs in the 1996 board again,  Still 2.

7. I tried the RAM clear chip in the 1996 board, but accidentally installed it upside down.  I think I cooked it (did I?) (did I cook the CPU board, too?)

8. I tried to reproduce step 4 above with all the same chips and the same 1994 board and could not - because I must have blown something.  Display reads "2"

9. Any combination I now try of any chips in either CPU board gives me a "2"

What can I do to get this think working?

Thanks.

knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 07:08:26 AM »

I'm not an expert on the games, but perhaps it's something in the backplane that's wonky?  Do you have a spare backplane by chance to try?

The clear chip with the 25 (for a $0.25 clear chip, I presume) in the display sounded right -- the popping noise from deep inside the machine did not.  Burning Resistor

You may well have fried the clear chip by inserting it backwards.  You likely did not cause any damage to the board when you inserted it backwards, however.

Clay (cfh) would probably have some better ideas than I about where to go from here...

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
m77
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 12:12:50 AM »

Before I take out the backplane, I thought I would add some more clues to this error "2" puzzle:

I tested the 1994 board out on another JSD machine and it booted fine (paired with the i/o board from my machine).  So this problem is not in the boards (at least the 1994 board)

RAM clear chip now works again (I didn't cook it), though intermittently.  Works only in the 1994 board.

When all of the game chips are inserted and the machine turned on The "2" error seems to flash on and off after power up.  Sometimes it seems steady, sometimes erratic and sometimes it flashes very briefly but regularly at 1/2 second intervals.  The fault light on the i/o board flashes in sync with the 7-segment display.

None of the incandescent lights on the front of the door are lit up.  The bill validator and other messages on the glass are dark.  Could this be a power supply issue?

When I did my ATX power supply mod, I tied together the like wires - red, black etc. as cfh's instructions were ambiguous about this.  Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 288

513-984-2201

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 02:18:20 AM »

I would check all the power supply voltages. I think you lost the 20vdc that is still supplied by the original power unit. the fuse could be still bad from when the original switcher went out. there are two fuses that were beneath the original power supply. That 20vdc supplies the voltage for the lamp matrix

Jim

MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma.
kenokarz
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 284

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 11:22:57 AM »

also on the large board on the power supply change the cap at c5  go to radio shack here is the part #
radio shack part # 272-1015
> 47uf , 35watt
m77
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 02:27:53 PM »

Thanks Jim and kenokarz for the specific info.

I will try that today

Is there any reason to believe that a problem with the 20V supply would prevent the machine from booting, or even more strangely would allow it to boot on the RAM clear chip but not the game chip?
Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS

Total Karma Storms: 288

513-984-2201

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 03:12:26 PM »

In your post item #4 where you said the displays did come up  and heard the bong! then the popping noise, when you are looking around, see if any wires may have been pinched when you reinserted the PDU back in the machine.

The main reason I wanted you to recheck all the voltages and lights on the I/O board because your machine was working before the power supply went south. And usually when it goes out it doesn't affect anything else. Most times you replace the supply and the machine comes back to life.

Jim

MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma.
m77
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 12:58:08 AM »

Continuing this troubleshooting...

The +20 supply voltage seems to be good.  I'm reading about 22 volts at both ends of the harness on the grey wires.

Still, with this working, the lamps are all out.  What could cause this, and could this also be what's crippling the machine?

Thanks.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.