Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:50:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  SIGMA Video Games.
| | |-+  Sigma Cash Bonus Poker problem
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sigma Cash Bonus Poker problem  (Read 3304 times)
Kid Smack
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 1

« on: December 01, 2009, 08:32:02 PM »

I have a Sigma Cash Bonus poker machine. The manual I have says it's a PT-2/2B. I think it's about a 1984 year. I moved it to a friends house. He called and said it wasn't working. I know very little about these things but went over to look at it. When I plugged it in, it powered up, cycled the BV...all normal, but then it restarted itself. No different than if I had shut it off and back on, and kept doing it over and over. I opened it up and checked for loose connections (with it still on...I know probably not smart.) When I wiggled the two pieces on the board circled in the two pics below, it seemed to work fine. I did this only an hour ago so I don't know if it acted up again yet, but he said it happened twice in the last week, sometimes in the middle of play. After he shut it down and let it sit a little, it worked fine for awhile. So my questions are: What are the two pieces circled? Could this be the problem since it was moved and may have jarred the two "clips"(?) since it worked so far after I pushed them on tight? And if that may have been a coincidence, what else should I look for that may cause the machine to reboot continuously like that? Thanks for any input anyone here can give me.

* sigmaboard001.jpg (120.1 KB, 761x571 - viewed 191 times.)

* sigmaboard002.jpg (118.4 KB, 768x576 - viewed 208 times.)
Thor777
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 415

Slave to my CAT's !!!

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 08:48:50 PM »

I have a Sigma Cash Bonus poker machine. The manual I have says it's a PT-2/2B. I think it's about a 1984 year. I moved it to a friends house. He called and said it wasn't working. I know very little about these things but went over to look at it. When I plugged it in, it powered up, cycled the BV...all normal, but then it restarted itself. No different than if I had shut it off and back on, and kept doing it over and over. I opened it up and checked for loose connections (with it still on...I know probably not smart.) When I wiggled the two pieces on the board circled in the two pics below, it seemed to work fine. I did this only an hour ago so I don't know if it acted up again yet, but he said it happened twice in the last week, sometimes in the middle of play. After he shut it down and let it sit a little, it worked fine for awhile. So my questions are: What are the two pieces circled? Could this be the problem since it was moved and may have jarred the two "clips"(?) since it worked so far after I pushed them on tight? And if that may have been a coincidence, what else should I look for that may cause the machine to reboot continuously like that? Thanks for any input anyone here can give me.

It is VERY possible one of the three "legs" on thouse transistors has a weak or broken solder joint... When you pushed down it made better contact.

I had a similar problem with one of my Mikon Progressive signs where the display would put up all sorts of strange characters after it warmed up or if I applied any pressure to the transistor on that board .   Burning Resistor

All I did was reheat one leg at a time just enough to melt a little extra solder on and have never had a problem since.

My CAT is smarter than your honor student  !!!
Kid Smack

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 08:52:25 PM »

Thanks Thor...Are the clips on top of them a heat sink of sorts?
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 11:11:10 PM »

Yes, those ARE heat sinks to help dissipate the heat coming out of the components.
You may NOT have to remove them to put a little solder on a broken leg though...
It's not necessary to take them off.
Kid Smack

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 12:26:28 AM »

Thanks. That's what I fugured. One of them had a patent # on it so I did a search and found it.
For anyone feeling nostalgic... hyper

* patent.JPG (74.4 KB, 512x754 - viewed 221 times.)
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 01:05:01 AM »

That's a great way to find out what things are! applause
Amazing how they stick that big heat sink on 3 tiny little legs huh?
That whole component combo was liable to bend over and "bust a leg" so to speak!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.