Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 02:20:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  IGT S+ Sounds
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: IGT S+ Sounds  (Read 7012 times)
jimsjunkie
« on: December 23, 2009, 07:30:39 PM »

I bought an IGT S+ Triple Dollars Slant Top Machine that the owners cousin had completely dissasembled to "see how it works".  Luckily all the parts were there except the power chord and some misc. screws and nuts.   I reassembled it and did a RAM CLEAR and then set the DENOMINATION and BV ON.  I got everything working except the sounds and the bill validator.  The sound is fine when inserting the coins but the reel start and stop sounds are like static.  I stepped through the Self Test to 50 and then stepped through the sounds and found its the 55 sound.  I changed what I assumed to be the sound chip with a good one and that didn't help.  Are the sounds generated in the GAME PROM chip, SP1048?  How can I get the correct sound for the reels turning?  I rarely ask for help but this one has me baffeled.  Jim
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 09:31:40 PM »

Post the numbers of the SP chip and we will be able to help you!
Sometimes the sounds is set from the options, sometimes from the dip switches...
it depends on what SP chip you have.
jimsjunkie
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 09:34:46 PM »

It's the SP1048.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 09:41:38 PM »

Remove the MPU from it's holding tray with the power turned off.
Turn on Dip-switch #3.
Replace the MPU, turn on the power.
You oughta be good to go!
jimsjunkie
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 09:52:44 PM »

I failed to mention in my origional post I had already tried that too.  But at this point, I'm ready to try anything.  So I pulled the board, turned OFF number 3 and tried it that way and got the same result.  I pulled the board again and turned the switch back to ON and no change.  Now what?
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 11:12:21 PM »

Speaker wires...are U getting ANY sounds at all?
You mentioned that you changed a "sound" chip...
I'm wondering now...what in the world did you change?
Are any of the legs folded underneath the chip in the socket now?
I'd start checking there too...
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 11:13:19 PM »

If the coin in "chime"-like sound is working correctly, I'm guessing that the "static" you describe is actually the simulated reel stop sound (and is normal -- you should get three 'bursts of static', one for each reel as each reel stops, and possibly one at the start of the spin, depending on the game).  If you're hearing static the entire time the reels are spinning, then that's a different story.

The sound is actually generated by a sound chip that is on the removable MPU board (the board that is attached to the silver tray with the handle) (not the SP chip).

The PSR for the 1048 does indeed say that dipswitch 3 determines reel spin sound.  Are you sure that the dipswitch is moving all the way to the "on" or "off" position?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 11:23:26 PM by knagl » Logged

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 11:22:09 PM »

Excellent catch knagl!
I would have tried that but could it be the IGT SP 1048 PSR is wrong?
knagl

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 11:27:32 PM »

Haha, we're posting and PM-ing and stuff is getting crossed in the mail!

Mark (Bunker) I think hit on the solution without realizing it.  From the PSR:

DIP switch changes do not take effect when credits are accumulated; the changes are recognized when credits are reduced to zero.

Please make sure that there are zero credits on the game (play them through or cash them out), and THEN power off, remove the board, change the dipswitch to "reel spin sounds" (whichever setting that is for switch 3), replace the board, power on, it should work.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
jimsjunkie
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 11:39:53 PM »

whooooopeeeeeeee!!!  I cashed out and inserted three coins and pressed spin and everthing is normal. Obviously I had credits on the machine throughout the whole process of trying everything else.  FYI, it was sounds like chirp or even click when the reels started and as each one stopped.  Now it's the normal reel spinning sound.  I'm glad this solved the problem because I've never been able to get the location you suggested to make the change in the software.  Thanks for all the help.  Now I have to find the problem with the BV.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 11:57:15 PM »

That's great! Knagl caught it! He wins the great Sherlock Holmes award for tonight!!! Sherlock Smiley
Great job knagl! applause applause applause
dpalmi
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 291

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 02:17:24 AM »

I changed what I assumed to be the sound chip with a good one and that didn't help.

I would like to know what chip it is he changed??  And where he got a "good one" from...

Dan #2

A great man once said, "I was told last time I would get a piece of cake."

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 02:30:43 AM »

I'm thinking he might of changed the "AY-3-8912"
programmable sound generator chip at the U56 location?
jimsjunkie
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 11:27:38 AM »

The chip reads:
SOUND
AY38912/P
9133 CEA
and is at location U49.  By that nomenclature, I assumed it to be a SOUND chip.  I had exchanged it with an exact chip I have in another board from a working upright S+ machine.  My next step would have been to exchange the two boards and try that.  I assume  now (there I go again) that would have solved the problem because the other board did not have any credits and the result would have been the wrong conclusion that the board was bad.  Sometimes in life the simplest solution solves the days problems and avoids many headaches down the road.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 12:58:52 PM »

Thanks for pointing out the correct location... applause I was looking at the old Belle book.
I went go pull out four S+ 10MHz boards (Yellow outline) and two 16MHz boards (Green Outline).
I noticed that IGT changed the chips to smaller sized YM2413's for the 16MHz boards later on.
Click on photo to enlarge them!>>>

* S+ sound generator chip 006.jpg (165.91 KB, 884x1932 - viewed 355 times.)
jimsjunkie
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 01:30:39 PM »

I was very fortunate the two boards I have were identical so the chips were identical and interchangeable.  I knew then the chip was not the problem.  I have searched but cannot find the list of PSR pages.  Can you help?  Thanks, Jim.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 01:57:01 PM »

PM me your email and I'll send ya my copy!
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 03:03:03 PM »

I was very fortunate the two boards I have were identical so the chips were identical and interchangeable.  I knew then the chip was not the problem.  I have searched but cannot find the list of PSR pages.  Can you help?  Thanks, Jim.

You've Got Mail  Mail

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.