Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:31:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Monitor Repair Log and Database. **Arcade and Gaming**
| |-+  Monitor Repair Tech Support
| | |-+  How can you tell what type of CRT monitor you have as far as resolution?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How can you tell what type of CRT monitor you have as far as resolution?  (Read 8152 times)
modman
« on: December 30, 2009, 04:07:32 AM »

I have a 26" monitor and not sure what resolution it is. How can you tell? I think the monitor came from a Cruisin USA or Cruisin World. I know there are different types that run on different frequencies. I plan to do a 60 in one multi game conversion and the board has a dip switch you can change resolution. I know one was VGA at 31khz and the other I can't remember at 15khz? 'm not sure if it was even in Khz but the numbers were close if not exact.
Slotmaster
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 172

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 01:52:01 PM »

CGA

It will work with that monitor

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 02:30:08 PM »

Another way you can tell pretty easily is to look
at your header connector on the monitor board.
If it's the 5 or 6 pin connector - it's probably a CGA monitor.
If it takes a connector that look like the kind that plugs into a desktop monitor -
then it's highly likely that it's a VGA monitor.
They do make little conversion boards to convert the signals to go either way you want to go.
modman
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 04:40:34 PM »

I looked up on KLOV. on Crusin World and Crusin Exotica, they used a CGA monitor and Crusin USA used a medium resolution at 25khz so this would make it hard for me to tell which monitor it came out of. I'll take pics to show you. The problem is the 60 in one can only do CGA or VGA and not in between. Now here is a situation I have read about and apparently a few people have this same situation like  I have with  a Sanyo monitor. The vertical hold is not stable. I heard of using a 5k resistor between the sync wire and ground to fix this and I've heard others. With this being a common problem, what would be some solutions to fix this issue? I've already done a recap on the board and checked all the adjustments possible and even replaced the Vertical potentiometer with no results.
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 430

I DONT SELL ON EBAY ITS NOT ME .

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 02:52:02 AM »

I have a 26" monitor and not sure what resolution it is. How can you tell? I think the monitor came from a Cruisin USA or Cruisin World. I know there are different types that run on different frequencies. I plan to do a 60 in one multi game conversion and the board has a dip switch you can change resolution. I know one was VGA at 31khz and the other I can't remember at 15khz? 'm not sure if it was even in Khz but the numbers were close if not exact.

I HAVE THE 60 IN ONE AND THE 49 IN ONE MULTI GAME BOTH MINE ONLY RUN ON 15 PIN VGA MONITORS & 15 PIN VGA LCD DISPLAYS

THE DIP SWITCHES ONLY CONTROL CGA 15.7KHZ & VGA 31.5 KHZ .

I HAVE YET TO FIND ANY HOME PC MONITOR OUT OF HUNDREDS I HAVE BUILT THAT HAD ANY ISSUE ??

THERE IS ONLY ONE PLUG FOR VGA ANYWAYS ??
UNLESS YOU HAVE SOME REAL OLD STOCK BOARDS ?? OUT OF THE FOUR DIPS THEY ONLY CONTROL

1.NORMAL SCREEN

2.FLIP SCREEN

3.DISPLAY MODE CRT  CGA 15.75KHZ
3.                               VGA-31.5KHZ

4. HIGH SCORE ENABLED OR HIGH SCORE DISABLED

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU OUT ??

Rocket

LET ME MODIFY THIS THIS FOR ALL .. THERE IS THE JAMMA HOOKUP ON ONE  BOARD I HAVE THAT CAN BE USED FOR JAMMA VIDEO OUTPUT TERMINAL 12 & 13 ETC
PLUS TO POWER THE BOARD IF YOU CHOOSE THAT WAY ??

IT DOES HAVE THE TYPICAL FOUR PRONG PLUG LIKE A HARD DRIVE -CD-0DRIVE TO POWER IT AS I DO .

BUT ALL BOARDS THAT I HAVE SEEN & USED RUN THE VIDEO OUT OFF THE VGA PLUG ..
SINCE OLD NEW OR USED VGA CRTS OR LCD'S ARE SO COMMON TO COME ACROSS THESE DAYS
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 11:13:04 AM by ROCKET » Logged

The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO POST , what you think & what you do is who you become.
modman
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 04:25:39 PM »

Rocket: The 60 in one board I have is like what you described and has video out on the harness and has the VGA output. It is the latest board version that came out on the market. My question was how can you tell what Khz your monitor is as there are standard, extended, medium, and VGA. 
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 06:43:06 PM »

Rocket: The 60 in one board I have is like what you described and has video out on the harness and has the VGA output. It is the latest board version that came out on the market. My question was how can you tell what Khz your monitor is as there are standard, extended, medium, and VGA.  

IF ITS A VGA MONITOR OR LCD UNIT YOUR GOING TO USE ??

JUST GOOGLE THE SPECIFICATIONS OF THE NAME & MODEL NUMBER OF THE MONITOR OR LCD DISPLAY

AS I MENTIONED LAST NIGHT .. I HAVE LITERALLY BUILT OVER 100 OF THESE MACHINES WITH THE 60-IN 1
49-IN 1 BOARD THE ONES I HAVE USED ALL HAVE A VGA 15 PIN VIDEO CABLE OUTPUT LIKE ON YOUR HOME PC .

I GET USED AND NEW CRT'S DAILY BY THE TRUCK LOAD -SOME BRAND NEW OTHERS LITE USE OTHERS TRASHED

I JUST PICK ONE OUT OF THE PILE HOOK IT UP TO A LAP TOP I USE FOR THE TEST BENCH ..
SEND OVER A VIDEO SIGNAL TO SEE IF THE MONITOR IS IN OK SHAPE ??

IF ITS OK AND HAS GOOD COLORS AFTER ADJUSTMENT !! THEN THATS THE ORGAN DONOR FOR THAT MACHINE !!! Clap Clap Clap

I HAVE YET TO SEE ONE THAT I HAD TROUBLE WITH MADE BY ANY OF 2-DOZEN COMPANIES .. NCA-LGA-ORION -H/P-TATUNG-MAG-DELL -HITACHI- VEWSONIC -SONY - ETC ETC

ARE YOU TRYING TO USE SOME ANTIQUE CRT THAT IS OPEN FRAMED WITH NO NAME TAG AT ALL ?? BUT HAS THE 15 PIN VGA ON IT ??
IF SO I BET MY THERMOMETER IT WORKS !!! Clap Clap Clap Clap

=======================================================================
EXAMPLE : DellTM  E190S Flat Panel Monitor GOOGLE THAT
IT WILL GIVE THE SPECIFICATIONS OF THE MONITOR BELOW
DISPLAY
Panel Size:
19"
Aspect Ratio
4:3
Panel Type:
TN - Twisted Nematic
Max Resolution
1280 x 1024 at 60 Hz
Contrast Ratio:
800:1 (typical)
Brightness:
250cd/m2 (typicall)
Response Time:
5 ms (typical)
Viewing Angle
160° / 160° (typical)
Color Support:
16.7 million colors
Pixel Pitch:
0.294 mm
Display Type
Thin film transistor (TFT) active matrix liquid crystal display (LCD)
Device Type
Flat Panel Monitor

=================
ELECTRICAL
Voltage Required:
AC 100 to 240 VAC / 50 or 60 Hz + 3 Hz / 2.0A (maximum)
Power Consumption:
19 W (typical)
Power Consumption Stand by / Sleep
Less than 1 Watts
Audio Output
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 06:52:50 PM by ROCKET » Logged

The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO POST , what you think & what you do is who you become.
modman
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 02:29:52 AM »

The monitor I have I was told is a 25" monitor. The picture tube is an RCA and uses a medium resolution in the 25Khz range so it won't work with the 60 in one board. The tube is dated 99 so it's not that old but none of my CRTs have any type of VGA plug. However I have converted a Sanyo monitor to work with the 60 in one by installing an inverter kit to accept RGB. The only thing that is bad on the board which I have heard a few people having problems with is the vertical sync. On mine the vertical processor went bad so that is now being replaced. By the way, how much would you sell 19" monitors for that has little to none burn in and work fine? or would you? Are LCD monitors available with the correct screen ratio for the original games? I know there are lots of LCD monitors out there but I was told none would have the correct ratio nor will the response time be as quick as CRT monitors. Seems I get mixed answers on my questions.
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 03:54:57 PM »

The monitor I have I was told is a 25" monitor. The picture tube is an RCA and uses a medium resolution in the 25Khz range so it won't work with the 60 in one board. The tube is dated 99 so it's not that old but none of my CRTs have any type of VGA plug. However I have converted a Sanyo monitor to work with the 60 in one by installing an inverter kit to accept RGB. The only thing that is bad on the board which I have heard a few people having problems with is the vertical sync. On mine the vertical processor went bad so that is now being replaced. By the way, how much would you sell 19" monitors for that has little to none burn in and work fine? or would you? Are LCD monitors available with the correct screen ratio for the original games? I know there are lots of LCD monitors out there but I was told none would have the correct ratio nor will the response time be as quick as CRT monitors. Seems I get mixed answers on my questions.

YOU CAN FIND PERFECTLY WORKING VGA CRT MONITORS AT MOST ANY REDEMTION CENTER FOR FREE ..ALL SIZES
STOP OFF AT ANY DOCTORS OFFICE OR HOSPITAL ETC ASK WHAT THEY HAVE FOR JUNK ??

A BRAND NEW DELL 15" INCH  CRT TO 19 " INCH CRT ON EBAY I HAVE PURCHASSED FOR 19.99 PLUS 20.00 BUCKS SHIPPING UPS GROUND .

I CANT BELIEVE YOU CANT FIND ANYONE THAT HAS A USED VGA CRT MONITOR FOR THE TAKING ?? AS FAR AS LCD UNITS THOSE ARE PRETTY EASY TO DIG UP IN THE 15-INCH RANGE .. BUT MAY HAVE A BAD SCREEN WITH DEAD PIXELS TRY IT FIRST ..

MOST COMPUTER REPAIR SHOPS HAVE A SHELF FULL OF JUST USED PC TOWERS --CRT MONITORS --USED LCD DISPLAYS -ETC

THE THING YOU NEED TO DO ON SOME CRT MONITORS VGA STYLE WHEN PUTTING THEM INSIDE YOUR DESIGNATED CABINET FOR THE 60 IN 1 GAME IS TURN THE MONITOR 180 DEG . SO THE VIEW ANGLE IS TOP TO BOTTOM FROM SIDE TO SIDE NOW THATS ALL .THE REST OF THE CONTROL SETTINGS ON THE ORGAN DONOR MONITOR WILL WORK THE SAME ..

HOPE THIS CLEARS UP YOUR QUESTION ?? HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!

Rocket

p.s. just 3 days ago i cleaned out a office of refinance co. that went belly up . I picked up over 75  crt monitors  100 keybords --100-mouses --

5 fax machines -- 80 assorted pc towers of various brands ..loaded with windows 98- xp-home  xp-office -- vista - etc
just so it would not end up in a landfill somewhere !!  WANT ADDS ARE GOOD PLACES TO CHECK ?? CRAIGS LIST ?? EBAY FOR NEW OR USED ?
AS I SAID I PURCHASED A BRAND NEW DELL 19 " CRT FLAT SCREEN MONITOR --(NOT LCD) JUST FLAT SCREEN CRT BRAND NEW FROM A DELL DEALLER CLEARING OUT STOCK FOR 19.99 BRAND NEW IN BOX WITH VGA CABLES AND CD FOR THE PC DRIVERS .. THERE OUT THERE BY THE THOUSANDS !!!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 04:00:30 PM by ROCKET » Logged

modman
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 10:39:56 PM »

I know about the monitors you are talking about but those are not the ones I'm looking for, the screen ratio is not like the original monitor screens like the ones that came on the old machines. Although those monitors you are talking about will work, they won't be the correct ratio or look. I just saw one on Ebay on a Wells monitor sell for $132. It's monitors like those that are in demand. Do you come across raw monitors like those? It's those monitors that are hard to find. I've checked Ebay and Craigslist but not much listed for sale. I can however buy new version frame monitors but they are over $250
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 11:43:51 PM »

I know about the monitors you are talking about but those are not the ones I'm looking for, the screen ratio is not like the original monitor screens like the ones that came on the old machines. Although those monitors you are talking about will work, they won't be the correct ratio or look. I just saw one on Ebay on a Wells monitor sell for $132. It's monitors like those that are in demand. Do you come across raw monitors like those? It's those monitors that are hard to find. I've checked Ebay and Craigslist but not much listed for sale. I can however buy new version frame monitors but they are over $250

HONESTLY ,
You have me totally confused now as to what you want the crt monitor for ??

if your running the 60-1 board with the vga monitor of course its not the same resolution as the game monitor made 30 yrs ago !!
but the 60-in one game board is not run on the same protocol as was designed 30 yrs ago also ..

SO WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO HOOK UP A 30 YEAR OLD STYLE CRT  MONITOR ?? TO A BRAND NEW 2009 MULTI GAME BOARD ??
isnt that like putting kerosene in gasoline fired engine ??

you said you had the latest model 60-in 1 game board out there with 15 pin vga plug now it seems your looking for a monitor thats cga 6-pin plug 30 YEAR OLD RESOLUTION  ?

I dont want to sound mean or repetative ?? but what the heck are you trying to do ??

as i said i have built 100's of 49-1 games with various vga monitors and 60 in 1 multi games with vga monitors
the entire platform for signal output is not that of the resolution of the original >>SINGLE GAME GAME CRT <<<THE ONES I HAVE BUILT USING THE BRAND NEW 60-1 49-1 WITH VGA OUTPUT ARE THE CORRECT RESOLUTION AND LOOK BECAUSE THEY ARE ON THE SAME PLATFORM .
I NEVER BUILT ONE AND USED ANY VGA MONITOR THAT LOOKED LIKE ANY GAME WAS OUT OF SYNC ??
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 11:51:47 PM by ROCKET » Logged

modman
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 04:01:17 PM »

Sorry to confuse you as I had no intention to do so. The 60 in one has the classic games on a late model board that has both the VGA and the hardwire RGB output.  What I'm trying to achieve is the original look that only the old style crt's can do.  I don't want the flat LCD look and the CRT needs to be the correct screen ratio like the old monitors. I hope this clears things up? I also was told the VGA output would work but not be as responsive as a CRT is you use an LCD is this correct? but if you use a CRT with a VGA input then it would work correct? but the screen ratio would not be like the original comparing 4x3 vs 4x9.
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 04:10:06 PM »

Sorry to confuse you as I had no intention to do so. The 60 in one has the classic games on a late model board that has both the VGA and the hardwire RGB output.  What I'm trying to achieve is the original look that only the old style crt's can do.  I don't want the flat LCD look and the CRT needs to be the correct screen ratio like the old monitors. I hope this clears things up? I also was told the VGA output would work but not be as responsive as a CRT is you use an LCD is this correct? but if you use a CRT with a VGA input then it would work correct? but the screen ratio would not be like the original comparing 4x3 vs 4x9.

ok i understand what your saying now !! on 99% OF HOME PC CRT MONITORS IN THE SETTINGS DEPT . IT GIVES YOU THE OPTION TO SET THE RESOLUTION TO DIFF SETTINGS !!

I WAS STARTING A NEW TOPIC IN ABOUT 2 HOURS OF THE MULTI GAME 60-IN 1 AND 49-IN  1 GAMES AND JUST HOW SIMPLE THEY ARE TO MAKE !
YOU INSPIRED ME TO DO THIS LOL

I JUST GOT DONE TAKING ABOUT 20 PICTURES OF THE PINOUTS FROM MANUAL AND DIP SWITCH SETTINGS ETC ALONG WITH THE SMALL AMOUNT OF PARTS NEEDED FOR HOURS OF FUN ..

SO KEEP A EYE OUT FOR THE TOPIC TODAY .

Rocket

oh p.s yes the LCD DISPLAY DOES THE SAME AS FAR AS SETTINGS .. BUT THERE CAN BE DEBATE BY MANY ON THIS FORUM !!

I FEEL CRT MONITORS GIVE DEPTH TO THE VIDEO .. WHEN LCD IS CRISP CLEAN ETC BUT HAS NO DEPTH PERCEPTION .

I WOULD USE A CRT OVER A LCD FOR MANY REASONS .. PLUS IT LOOKS MORE ORIGINAL ..

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.