Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:55:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  BALLY Game Maker. (Moderator: tacman)
| | |-+  Bally Game Maker Won't Boot
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bally Game Maker Won't Boot  (Read 7846 times)
mkraus01
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« on: January 06, 2010, 10:53:29 PM »

Help

I am a Newbie here and I have a Game Maker question I need help troubleshooting...  My Model Number is VMPLOS 156 and it was manufactured in 7/96 (if this helps).  I bought it about 1.5 years ago and it worked great for about a year.  About 6 months ago after being on all day it started to automatically reset.  The red reset light would flash on and then off, bill collector would cycle (reboot), screen would flash, and as it would almost boot up, it would repeat the cycle (reset flash on then off, bill collector reboot, etc). 

I'd turn it off and back on later and it would work fine for awhile, but he above process would occur after being on for awhile.  Then one day I turned it on and it would not boot and the all the lights were on (red reset light and all 4 green lights +5v, +12v, -12v, +24v).  After about 5 minutes, it would seem to 'warm up' and then the red reset light would start to flicker then the reboot process as mentioned above would start...... 

I played with all the connectors, tried re-seating the boards, etc.  Couldn't make any headway.

I measured the voltage at the battery and it is 3.66v.  I tried manually pushing the reset button, using the key reset, etc with no luck.  It seems like maybe something on one of the boards has gone bad?? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I'd be happy to discuss with someone over the phone if it would be easier.

Thanks
-Mike Kraus
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 12:31:42 AM »

Welcome to NLG Mike  wave

It sounds like a component is failing when heated. One troubleshooting suggestion is to buy some freeze spray and spray one component at a time to determine which one is failing. Run the machine until failure, then pull the board, spray one component, replace and check status. I would start with the IC chips, but I'm not an expert on this.

Hopefully, someone with board level experience will chime in and point you to the most common components that fail in this way.

StatFreak garfield
nlg  Global Moderator

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
mkraus01

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 12:44:31 AM »

As I re-read my post, I see I forgot to state that now the machine seems to be stuck.  When I power it up, the bill collector cycles, all the lights are on, and the display does not come up (In the past the display wouldn't come up until the reset light went out).

So basically it doesn't boot up at all right now....
ruttrunner1
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 21

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 12:55:57 AM »

I would buy a clear chip and perform the safe ram clear. You may just have corrupt data. I had a game maker a few months ago that just kept rebooting and that fixed it.
pinballmike49
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 47

slots,slots and more slots

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 01:09:25 AM »

If you want drop me a line, I think I can help...Mike.
Jeff

Total Karma Storms: 9

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 01:01:55 PM »

Welcome to NLG. As Stat has already suggested check simi conductors (transistors/IC's) with a refrigerant spray. Also I would look on the chassis of the monitor board in the low voltage circuits to see if there is a cold solder joint. Be sure to look with a magnifying glass, as the slightest cracked joint could cause the symptoms that you have described. I hope this helps.

Regards, Jeff
Ohio Chad

Total Karma Storms: 4

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 07:39:47 PM »

new power supply....12v 5v power supplies are notorious to fail.  If you are having speratic issues, I would spend +/- $25.00 for a new power supply from happ controls.
SilverFerret
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 34

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 03:43:16 PM »

I'm having the exact problem that you described and was wondering if you isolated the problem and know what the fix is?
Thanks, Jim
KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 233

Newest addition to the family, RIP Bentley

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 04:05:49 PM »

POWER SUPPLY   POWER SUPPLY   POWER SUPPLY!!!
I cant stress this enough!
Until you KNOW the power supply is solid, you cant troubleshoot this problem!
OK, first off check the 5 volt output. It * MUST * be 4.75 to 5.25 volts.If it's outside this range all bets are off and weird things can/will happen.
When you check the power supply, many dont check for ripple. THIS IS A MUST! Just because the green LEDS are on doesnt mean the power supply is healthy!
To check for "ripple" (if you dont own a 'o Scope)
Set multimeter to it's lowest AC range.
Measure across the voltage testpoint.
Let meter "settle". In a few seconds, it should show ZERO or very close to it.If you have a reading above ZERO here, STOP. Find out why.
Dont trust the meter? no problem. Take a small cap (1 MFD at 50 volts) and place it in series with a earpiece. connect this to the testpoint.
You will hear a "Click" when you do.If you hear ANY hum,rumble, buzzing at this point the power supply is in trouble.Fix this problem FIRST.

Most "Problems"are indeed power supply related....
Failures....
1>Power Supplies
2>Connectors
3>Electrolytic Caps
4>SemiConductors/Integrated Circuits
5>Mechanical Devices
6>Resistors
7>Assorted crap

Pretty much in this order...
Hope this helps!

Kirk (been a electronics tech for a few years)

Definition of "Retirement"= to be able to get back all you contributed into it AND take some of their money too before dropping dead.
mkraus01

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 11:49:39 PM »

So.... if you go back to the very first post you will see my issue.  It turns out I had 2 issues.   To sum it up in a nut shell, I replaced the power supply and my issue went back to the first problem (after warming up, the system would reboot continuously).  Then I replaced my main board and the problem was solved.  So my issue was 2 issues, main board went bad first causing the reboot sequence continuously, then the power supply failed and it would not reboot at all.  After replacing them both, my unit works great again!!!

Thanks to all for their advice and to Pinballmike who helped immensely with advice!

-Mike Kraus
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 12:11:56 AM »

Mike,

Good to hear that our members were able to get you going. Clap Clap Clap Thanks for posting back and letting us know what the results were! applause applause applause That is what this site is all about. Look around and enjoy, there is plenty to learn and do!

CaptainHappy CaptainHappy
 nlg ADMIN

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.