Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 09:11:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  NLG Members who host their own Repair Logs of Various Games.
| |-+  RickHunters Computer Help 101 (Moderator: rickhunter)
| | |-+  SCANNER Problem
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SCANNER Problem  (Read 7091 times)
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 323

Me at work

« on: March 07, 2010, 03:44:40 PM »

I have an HP ScanJet 5300C - this is a flatbed - color - with fax - email etc.  When I try to scan either using ADOBE or just the Scan software  of a document with TEXT and a parts diagram - the scan drops some of the lettering - not the parts diagram - no matter how I place the document in the scanner - does the same thing.  I have reloaded the software - I have powered down and unplugged the scanner - has USB connection - which I have into the computer not an external hub.  I am using Windows 2000 professional.  I  had the same problem years ago with a different cpu - cleared up all of a sudden. Now its doing it again.  Not much help on the HP web site as this is an old scanner.   I even defragged my cpu which is a stand alone system - no internet - just use it for documentation.
a69mopar
647-402-1977
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 600

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 06:16:48 PM »

Hi Barry,
   In the past I've had scanners that I would have to set to a higher resolution to pick everything up.  There were settings in the software for DPI and i used to set it pretty high.  This was a SCSI based scanner that I had bought from Costco.  It worked awesome on higher resolution, but became extinct after a few operating system upgrades.  I now use my wife's all in one to scan and love that it will scan direct to .PDF files

Thanks,
Wayne

www.GTASLOTS.com      647-402-1977              BALLY S6000 GALLERY
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Me at work

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 06:31:15 PM »

I didn't try the resolution - there has to be a memory issue - as I scanned 2 or 3 documents - then I get garbage - so I unplugged the power and the USB for awhile - replug and it works for a bit longer - so the memory (scanner) is corrupted somehow - it will only clear by dropping the power.  So I can get by for now - just didn't want to buy another scanner since I seldom use it anyway.  thanks wayne.
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 06:34:32 PM »

Another possibility may be that the text getting lost is lighter? Is there a setting to darken the scan a little bit? Just a thought, but it may be totally off the problem?

CH CaptainHappy

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Me at work

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 09:23:56 PM »

actually the lost text is darker - funny thing like a word  SLOT the O would drop!!
knagl

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 06:55:53 AM »

Could it be a situation where the software is using Optical Character Recognition (OCR) to interpret the text, and if it can't figure out a letter it leaves it blank?

Is there an option to set the software to treat what you're scanning as simply an image (picture), rather than "picture and text" (despite the fact that there is text on the page)?

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
tacman
NLG Document, Media Gallery and FAQ Writer

Total Karma Storms: 446

Genius in training.

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 10:53:21 AM »

I would agree with Kevin, when scanning if OCR is being used, you will get problems because it is trying to interpret letters. Scanning just as a picture with OCR disabled should take care of that. Of course, unless you are going to change the lettering after it is scanned.

Dan (tacman)

FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Me at work

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 02:19:55 PM »

that makes sense if the problem was constant - if I unplug the usb and power - wait - re connect - scanner works for awhile - then starts dropping letters.
knagl

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 09:55:57 PM »

that makes sense if the problem was constant - if I unplug the usb and power - wait - re connect - scanner works for awhile - then starts dropping letters.

Are you restarting the software when this happens, too?  If so, it could still be a software issue where the OCR has issues after being used for a while.

The specs from HP says that it comes with "HP Precisionscan 3.0 scanning software with fully automated Optical Character Recognition (OCR) capability" -- again, is there a way to disable that and specify that the document you're scanning is a picture?

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Me at work

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 12:00:43 AM »

I am running under Adobe - when scanned image comes up "distorted" I just unplug and unpower - have restarted adobe and not restarted.  Problem has to be in the scanner memory.  Its always the top and bottom of the document - doesn't seem to loose the drawing - just goes south when it tries to scan TEXT. 
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Me at work

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 07:04:44 AM »

finally got a doable work around to the problem - the problem is when I scan certain documents usually an exploded parts diagram which has lines and numbers - the numbers would drop from the scan.  The FIX is to use the option scan selected areas of the document - once scanned - use the box outline to outline the entire document - then accept - and VOILA.  what a way to run an airline. 
a69mopar
647-402-1977

Total Karma Storms: 600

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 11:59:31 AM »

Good to hear you got it beat.

Thanks,
Wayne

www.GTASLOTS.com      647-402-1977              BALLY S6000 GALLERY
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 04:40:17 PM »

Barry,

Clap Clap Clap

Pretty clever thing to solve the problem!

CH CaptainHappy

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Me at work

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 07:06:27 PM »

wow - getting a swelled head.  don't like a problem that cannot be solved.  Logic is my forte - was in the computer business since the 60s - problems always occur - the solving of problems is a challenge.  Won this one - but ?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.