Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:40:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  Aristocrat Video Gaming Machines
| | |-+  aristocrat Mk5 start up fail
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: aristocrat Mk5 start up fail  (Read 21956 times)
shane
« on: March 18, 2010, 10:58:28 AM »

hi my machine was working fine and then in just went in to start up screen but it didn't start this time on the screen it says

CPU cheak ok
DRAM error!!
epron checksum ok
SRAM cheack ok
DRAM emuldor found
2khz timer ok
startup tests failed.machine locked

if someone has any ideas to help me that will be grate  :
TZtech
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 129

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 04:05:33 PM »

It looks like the ram is faulty or more possible corrupted. Have you tried to do a Ram Clear ?
shane
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 08:39:57 AM »

no how do you do a ram clear?
TZtech

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 04:26:21 PM »

Hi Shane

Is you machine from Oz or US ?. I think for the US version you need chips. The South African SW that I am familiar with works as follows (As far as I know OZ versions are the same)
Power down - remove processor board and remove the 3 batteries for a few minutes. Replace batteries, replace processor and power up. Machine should start up and display an error to the effect of 3 way memory error. Machine will display on screen to press 2 buttons to clear the ram. Once this is done you can select the operator menu and chosse your options relevant to your machine.

Ian
shane
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 11:01:48 AM »

thanks for the reply Ian

my machine is from oz i did what yousaid pulled out the main board but there is only one battery so i took that out for a few minutes replaced it powered on and still the same message

CPU check ok
DRAM error!!
epron checksum ok
SRAM check ok
DRAM emuldor found
2khz timer ok

i appreciate your help on this if you have any more ideas or troubleshooting methods I'm willing to listen

thanks Shane
TZtech

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 11:10:16 AM »

Hello Shane

Pretty shure the mark 5 board also has 3 Batteries. Could you maybe post a pic of the processor board ?

Ian
shane
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 04:40:51 AM »

ok here it is

* 100_0809.jpg (994.35 KB, 2848x2134 - viewed 1290 times.)
shane
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 04:42:29 AM »

i hope it helps
TZtech

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 07:29:13 AM »

Hi

My Bad - Its the Mk6 that has 3 batteries. The 3 chips above the batteries are the RAM chips (as per attached).  Have not tried to actually repair these before. They are multi layer PCB and mostly surface mount so you would need fairly specialized equipment to do a repair. The only other possible problem I can think of is that the battery is flat.

If its not that you can try these guys for board repair/replacement - http://www.tektronikenterprises.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=89&sort=20a&page=3&zenid=3a3459d320a8f431e42a3af57451b93d

Ian

* MK5 Board.pdf (188.25 KB - downloaded 588 times.)
shane
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 07:58:37 AM »

thanks again for your help Ian i put a new battery on the bored and still the same so do you think the memory needs to be replaced
TZtech

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 08:43:15 AM »

Hi Shane

Found a OZ Mk5 manual - It is the MK5 board that uses 3 batteries. Your option however only needs the one.
The DRAM's are marked on the attached diagram - I dont have board level repair experince on these but i dont think its the actual DRAM's.
The only other advice I can give you is to check the Jumpers next to the LED's. Maybe the EPROM size selector jumper came off.
Also remove the 4 EPROMS and check the sockets - Sometimes they get damaged.
What are the staus LED doing when you power it up?

Regards
Ian
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 11:55:58 AM by TZtech » Logged
TZtech

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 12:01:10 PM »

Cant Add attachment to an edited post - Here is the correct board layout for your mach. The one I posted previously is for the US model and seems to be different.

* Oz-MVP.pdf (196.19 KB - downloaded 939 times.)
* Oz-MVP2.pdf (110.15 KB - downloaded 725 times.)
shane
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 09:56:04 AM »

hi Ian

my LED'S just flash red once on start up (all four) did all you said with eproms with the size selector jumper is it only a small black cover that goes on top of two pins?
if so its still there i really appreciate your time and expertise that you have shared with me maybe its time to get it repaired or time for a new one

just 1 more question is there anyway to unlock the machine?

thanks Shane
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 11:06:10 AM by shane » Logged
TZtech

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 01:51:57 PM »

Hi Shane

Unfortunately it does seem to be a board problem - What do you mean by unlock the machine ?

Ian
shane
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 10:52:37 AM »

CPU check ok
DRAM error!!
epron checksum ok
SRAM check ok
DRAM emuldor found
2khz timer ok

thats what is says on the screen, how do you unlock it
TZtech

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 12:55:15 PM »

Hello Shane

That will only clear if you have a functional/repaired board.

Ian
shane
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 09:50:09 AM »

so if i get a new board with a different game am i able to play my original game by changing the chips?
TZtech

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 10:54:56 AM »

Yep - Although usually  you wont get chips with the processor board. If you do bonus you can swap out if you get bored with current game.

Ian
cmosdata
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 12:14:33 AM »

one dram or more are damaged, four-ready changes
shane
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 10:08:16 AM »

OK my machine is working with different board and game i tried to put different game chips on my new board and it went a bit crazy saying that i change chips

what do i have to do to play other games?

do i just have to put in the numbers of other game chips?
hoppy
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 7

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2010, 05:15:48 AM »

Hi
Have attached photo from US 500 MVP manual.
All my Australian / New Zealand MVP Mk5 boards have 3 batteries and the board components are in different places.
I thought the board may have been US as it only had one battery but it is different to your photo.
A NZ MVP MK 5 Series 2 board photo is also attached
cheers

* aristo US MVP 500 board.jpg (178.63 KB, 910x1152 - viewed 1639 times.)

* NZ MVP 5.2 board.jpg (284.91 KB, 1154x888 - viewed 1144 times.)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 05:36:27 AM by hoppy » Logged
lovepokies33

Total Karma Storms: 7

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2010, 07:27:56 AM »

Hoppy I think you are confusing the issue, Shane HAS an aussie machine/board. The pic he has shows exactly that. His board is a classic mark5 series 1 board used everywhere around the country. - They only have 1 battery. (the newer MVP aka mark5 series 2 is a newer revision of the board but other than that it's the same).

Just so you know, the NZ mark5's all have 3 batteries because thats what the 'international' version has to cover the paranoid jurisdiction issues. NZ & Aussie machines are pretty much the same, even programs will work in each others boards, however if you run a NZ program in an aussie board it will check for 3 batteries and error, you can clear/reset the error and run the program for a bit, bit it's annoying as it will warn about battery low 2,3 etc.
Also NZ Programs don't use the 'comms' board, if this is installed it crashes before full bootup etc. But an aussie program without the comms board won't even try and boot.

Now, The USA mark5 is different even more, while it's in theory 'really the same', it has too many little changes (possiblly on purpose) that make it impossible to run USA programs on Aussie/NZ boards. The USA platform is overall is different, they use a whole different backplane, an all in one driver/comms board, they have annoying 'set chips' and the game setup is totally bloated. Most programs use 6 - 8 eproms, but the aussie version of the same program uses 4 eproms.

So Shane, when you said the machine 'went crazy' when you put another game in the working board, this is normal with a game change, you just need to follow the setup instructions such as resetting the static ram and then going into machine options and setting things there.. save changes and close the doors etc.

Once you do this a few times you get the 'knack' of it and can do it pretty fast.

Cheers!

PS

Shane your original board seems to have issues, these boards are getting pretty old now (mark5) and anything is possible with these boards, we are talking about 10 - 13 years old. Repairs might be simple if you know what your looking for.. but you have a working board now, then that's really all you need. Smiley
TZtech

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 05:23:46 AM »

Great Info - K+

You sound like you are very familiar witht these - Can you recommend a source for board replacement/repair for both MK5 and MK6 boards.

Ian
jasongd
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 26

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 04:16:31 AM »

http://reelgames.co.nz/
Ask Mike in NZ, He might have a 5.2 board to sell.
Cheers.
Jason. wave
midohioslotmachines
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 01:11:46 PM »

I recently purchased several MKv and MKV1  Atronics  and the aristrocrat 540's , I am looking to hire a phone tech to help me get these set up and running.  If you might know of any one that would be interested it would be greatly appreaciated.
thanks   
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.