Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 10, 2024, 06:51:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  The Slot Shop **Tech Talk**
| | |-+  Diode question
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Diode question  (Read 11138 times)
bulanek
« on: April 14, 2010, 09:37:11 PM »

I have a super rare never seen another one IGT coin pusher there is no information anywhere on it, IGT has been as helpful as possible but all documentation on it has been destroyed so getting any tech info is impossible. My question is I have been having heat problems and narrowed it down to a general area consisting on to diodes and a resister I thought it was going to be the 1n270 diode but when I went to remove it I thought I will replace the diode next to it as well but I could not read the numbers so I decided It would be easier to read once removed but when I went to remove it it pretty much disintegrated the only thing I can read is 1n and 001. so I thought okay there is another one that looks just like it same size same board good chance they are the same so I removed that one but the numbers are all rubbed off. Is there any way of testing this presumably good diode to find out what it is? I think it might be a 1n4001 what happens if I put this in and its wrong?   
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 79

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 10:05:56 PM »

There will be other more qualified people answer this, but most important on the diodes is their direction. They are one way gates. Record or remember the direction they were installed now if possible. The other factors include current handling and such. Pretty sure you can Not measure them like you can a resistor. Scratch Head
bulanek
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 10:15:55 PM »

Yes I took pictures before to make sure they go in as they came out.

* mini-IMG_4467.JPG (17.32 KB, 400x267 - viewed 230 times.)
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 79

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 10:29:38 PM »

and the board is marked applause applause applause
Super Joker
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 37

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 12:05:53 AM »

The glass one looks like a Germanium diode, and the other a Silicone diode. Basically, they function the same, the germanium has a lower bias voltage (.3v) compared to .7v for the silicon. Meaning that if 5v were passing through, it would be 4.7v on the germanium circuit, and 4.3v on the silicon circuit.

It would be interesting to see more of the board, front and back, to see if perhaps one of those had been changed out at one time.

1N4001 is a common silicone diode number.

The PCB, if you're lucky, should show the symbols for each diode (like it does next to the glass one). The only thing I would be concerned about is whether the silicone one is a Schottky diode - which I doubt.

Super Joker is Wild! Anywhere!
CommTech
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 251

Joe

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 12:52:52 AM »

I was wondering what you meant by heat problem.
Based on what you described I would say that the 1n4001 would be a good guess. 
Does the unit function correctly or is it not working at the moment?
More info would be helpful.   
bulanek
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 01:04:20 AM »

Sorry I was not sure if anyone would even reply so I didn't spend too much time typing, What I was referring to as a heat problem was when the unit ran for a while it would shut off and then if you either let it cool off, put a strong fan or hit the area with a component cool spray it would start back up it seemed like it was the germanium diode which is right next to the diode that feel apart which I know believe to be the problem. Both diodes appeared to be original. This is an odd board almost like a proto type one thing is for sure it is one of the first IGT machines made. The machine was working before I removed these 3 parts but would shut off sometimes every couple hours sometimes every few minutes. Any other questions by all means please ask them.
CommTech

Joe

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 01:23:04 AM »

Check the solder connections on the board in question. It sounds like you may have a poor solder connection on one or more of the components.
That may explain why cooling the board brings back the power.
bulanek
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 01:31:45 AM »

Ya I looked for that first, but the diode was cracked and broke in half when I removed it you don't think that could have been the problem? I'm not even sure what a diode does. I've now done alot of work on this board a lot of components are new if its a cold joint we will soon have eliminated it. Smiley 
bulanek
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 02:04:23 AM »

What could happen if the new diode is wrong?
CommTech

Joe

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 02:46:02 PM »

A Diode only allows current flow in one direction only. That is why it is important that it is installed correctly.
The fact that the diode was cracked may or may not have been causing your issue. It all depends on were in the circuit the diode is located.
For example: If the diode is located across the coil of a relay, then it's purpose is to prevent counter emf from producing potentially damaging voltages when the relay is de-energized. That probably would not cause your power to drop out.
 Please Post Pictures
I have no clue as to how the board is laid out or what it's purpose is.
If you can take a series of pictures which shows the entire board and it's connections, we may be able to help you further.
Remember, the more information we have (and can see), the more we may be able to help.

bulanek
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 05:17:41 PM »

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=364.0 that is my old post that I did under my old name (forgot what it was) so I created a new name that has lots of pictures the location of this diode is next to the large orange capacitor which I changed out already it is black in the new picture.
bulanek
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 05:23:51 PM »

I have all the other problems in the old post fixed they were bad opto couplers that were causing the malfunctions. this machine has came along way since I bought it. It has been a long fun crazy expensive journey, several phone calls to IGT and everyone else that new anything about this odd machine. Even had to have a custom made burg chain made to drive the gears that push the coins.  I'm getting there I just hope it doesn't fry when I power it up with possibly the wrong diode in there.
Super Joker
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 37

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 06:05:28 PM »

The other pics are 600x400, too small to get much detail, and follow traces to determine if this was a rectifier circuit, or what the ultimate purpose of the diodes in the circuit were.

Diodes are just one-way streets for electricity. It allows a flow in one direction, blocking opposing flow.

As long as the black diode is for sure a diode (as long as the pcb has a diode symbol), you are safe in just replacing the diode - also as long as you install it the same way the other one was installed.

Super Joker is Wild! Anywhere!
Op-Bell

Total Karma Storms: 326

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 07:05:24 PM »

Confirmed, the 1N270 is a germanium diode. Available at www.mouser.com, stock number 526-1N270, $1.06. The other will be a 1N4001, you can use any 1N400x, the last digit is just the working voltage and '1' is the lowest (50V). 1N4003 is more common (200V). Mouser part number 512-1N4001 or 512-1N4003, price $0.06 either type. No minimum order at Mouser and they will ship USPS, cheaper than UPS or FedEx that the other distros use. You may be able to get these at local shops like Frys or RS, though you won't get the germanium diode at Radio Shack.
bulanek
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 07:39:36 PM »

Thanks I already bought a package of them off ebay for 13.99 shipped that had both of them in it I was just scared to fire it up until told it was safe to do so. Thanks
bulanek
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 10:10:48 PM »

Alright it powered up and I think everything is working now except the candle light but I don't think that goes through the circuit boards. thanks for the help.
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 03:20:02 AM »

Please Post Pictures Please Post Pictures Please Post Pictures Please Post Pictures

You seemingly have a very rare IGT-created coin pusher/flipper machine.  I know I'd love to see a ton of pictures and/or video of it in action -- I'm sure other members here would like to see your treasure, too!

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
uniman
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 695

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2010, 01:21:04 PM »

Agree with Post Me, too! Me, too! Me, too! Agree with Post

excessive drool
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 12:44:51 AM »

I never knew IGT made any type of coin pushers...interesting!
bulanek
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 01:04:48 AM »

Yes I will take pictures for sure, how ever the machine is in storage 1 1/2 hours away from me so it might be a week or two tell I go down there. As far as IGT making a coin pusher it is very rare to say the least I had quite a few so called experts say I didn't know what I was talking about. But I have talked to the vp over at IGT which surprisingly was very nice and helped me despite the fact usually IGT won't even talk to an end user. He and his techs remembered the machine quite well, I guess they didn't miss it.  This thing is a monster and mine is ugly the guy I bought it from stored it outside under a tarp for years. Sad and it shows but the thought of getting my hands on a rare machine made me buy it 1000.00 or more latter I'm not sure I was smart to do so. But it has been fun but it's no beauty pageant winner that's for sure. So keep In mind when you see the pictures I was not bragging. It's like bagging the fat chick when you were drunk. 
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 08:19:51 AM »

Yes I will take pictures for sure, how ever the machine is in storage 1 1/2 hours away from me so it might be a week or two tell I go down there. As far as IGT making a coin pusher it is very rare to say the least I had quite a few so called experts say I didn't know what I was talking about. But I have talked to the vp over at IGT which surprisingly was very nice and helped me despite the fact usually IGT won't even talk to an end user. He and his techs remembered the machine quite well, I guess they didn't miss it.  This thing is a monster and mine is ugly the guy I bought it from stored it outside under a tarp for years. Sad and it shows but the thought of getting my hands on a rare machine made me buy it 1000.00 or more latter I'm not sure I was smart to do so. But it has been fun but it's no beauty pageant winner that's for sure. So keep In mind when you see the pictures I was not bragging. It's like bagging the fat chick when you were drunk.  

Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing  I had to give you a K+ for the laugh.

Pageant winner or not, consider that you will be showing the pictures to the rest of your drunk chumps -- er -- chums who frequent the same bar! arrow frying pan
I'm sure that we're going to enjoy seeing the pictures. smiley drool smiley drool  cheers Plastered Buddies  Please Post Pictures

Stat garfield

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
bulanek
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 07:53:40 PM »

Okay here they are don't laugh, any carpentry experts in the so cal area want to help me build a new cabinet let me know. I also at some point will want some plating done if you guys have any recommendations.

* mini-IMG_4604.JPG (59.06 KB, 400x600 - viewed 212 times.)

* mini-IMG_4610.JPG (40.04 KB, 600x400 - viewed 230 times.)
bulanek
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 07:54:18 PM »

more sorry it will only let me do two at a time?

* mini-IMG_4614.JPG (64.52 KB, 600x400 - viewed 238 times.)

* mini-IMG_4607.JPG (59.48 KB, 600x400 - viewed 223 times.)
bulanek
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 07:54:41 PM »

more

* mini-IMG_4611.JPG (50.22 KB, 600x400 - viewed 222 times.)

* mini-IMG_4615.JPG (35.22 KB, 600x400 - viewed 216 times.)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.