Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 11:45:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S2000 and Vision Games.
| | |-+  My Backlit Reel Strip Color Enhancement Project
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Backlit Reel Strip Color Enhancement Project  (Read 2759 times)
Magicslots
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 62

« on: May 12, 2010, 08:08:30 PM »

Being a hopeless tinkerer (is that a real word Scratch Head )  I noticed while playing my SSS7, the the Lavender colored Double Bar symbols
would light up pink instead of purple/lavender.  So I set out to find an easy way to correct this problem.  I first thought of changing out the bulbs in the
reels to leds.  I found a video on Youtube by some guy named IGTMAN, (who is that guy?? he has a h_ll of a collection of machines!!), who had changed his out, and
it really made a difference in the colors on his reels.  Not sure of which led bulbs I should use, I decided to try to find some purple cellophane to slip in behind the strips.
It was close to Easter and I figured that purple cellophane would be easy to find at that time.  WRONG  frying pan   I did a little more digging around on the net
and thought I would try colored gels that cover flash units on cameras... Good idea..Too expensive  hissy fit   A little more digging and I decided to try regular
theater gels for lighting units....AAh Haa!...
 I went to a local Magic/Costume shop that a friend of mine operates, (he also sells, and rents lighting, sound and DJ equipment at his shop). Lo and behold
he had every imaginable color of the rainbow available  Tongue Out   applause

I bought what I though would be a suitable color, took it home, measured and cut some pieces to fit and  lightning bolt   lightning bolt Bingo! I had my solution.
A single color sheet gel costs about $8.00 with tax, and is enough to do lots of reel strips...It really more than you need, but the price isn't bad.
The first color I bought, really turned out too dark, so I went back to find a lighter color several weeks later.  I couldnt really find the color I thought Ii needed so the guy at the shop
gave me a sample pack of gels by Apollo,  (shown in the first pic)  Well, the size looked just about the perfect to fit the reels, and what do know..It is perfect!  applause  applause

So now I have hundreds of colors to swap and play with, and the sample pack was FREE!
The gels just slide into place behind the reel strips and dont seem to have any real problem slipping out of place.
The first ones I cut from the sheet only slipped slightly on reel #1 after several thousand spins, and it takes about 3 seconds to fix the problem.
Best of all, no tape etc, is needed so it doesn't gum up your reel strips!  Odie

* samples1.JPG (83.2 KB, 800x600 - viewed 242 times.)

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."  (Sir Winston Churchill)
Magicslots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 08:12:39 PM »

Here are some pics of how the gels fits in to the reels and the color difference when lit...
The pictures dont really show how good it looks!!    The reel in the center is without a gel, it really does look pink in person.. yes

* reel1.JPG (52.44 KB, 800x600 - viewed 198 times.)

* mlm.JPG (74.78 KB, 800x600 - viewed 207 times.)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 11:49:51 PM by Magicslots » Logged

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."  (Sir Winston Churchill)
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 09:15:42 PM »

Nice Magic!
I vote that as one of the best posts of the year BY FAR!!!!! Clap Clap Clap applause applause applause
Can you get any more of those gel packs on a ring?

Funny thing is:
I just did a search and found some for pretty cheap!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&sku=45184&is=REG&A=details&Q=&sub=rosco

2 bucks a pack!
Thor777
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 415

Slave to my CAT's !!!

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 09:25:11 PM »

Magic slots...  K+ for sharing detailed info & PICS tooo ! ...Great post...  applause applause applause
(bunker I KNOW your going to "experiment" with these)  rotflmao  Keep us posted !

My CAT is smarter than your honor student  !!!
Magicslots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 11:56:48 PM »

Bunker, I'll check with my buddy the owner of the shop when he gets back from his business trips,
I may be able to lay my hands on a few, I'll keep yall advised.  The gel off to the side of the reel, is the original dark purple that I cut
from the sheet.  Its really too dark for my likes.  
If anybody needs a couple of the pieces of the dark purple one... with the height of the symbol you want to cover,
 you can cut it to the width of your reels.  send a self-addressed stamped envelope, and I'll mail it right back to ya..  Send me a PM for my address...
These whole sheet gels would do a LOT Crazy of reel strips.

The great thing is, they are commercial grade, should not fade..at least not for a loooong time, and they are super easy to replace!

God, I love it when a plan comes together     The Wave
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 12:10:22 AM by Magicslots » Logged

MrBellMan
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 153

Wild Thing!

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 01:07:43 AM »

Too funny! I did that last year with the BLUE 7's on my Super Spin Sizzling 7's game to make the blue just a bit darker.

Looks nice. Congrats!

Rob

* IMG_2417.JPG (263.34 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 205 times.)

* IMG_2418.JPG (183.68 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 198 times.)
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 05:51:58 PM »

Hey Magic,
Did you ever find those colored gels?  Scratch Head 2 Scratch Head 3
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.