Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 02:35:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  NLG Members who host their own Repair Logs of Various Games.
| |-+  RickHunters Computer Help 101 (Moderator: rickhunter)
| | |-+  How to run a program to start automatically?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to run a program to start automatically?  (Read 5231 times)
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« on: May 19, 2010, 03:20:53 PM »

I have an idea I want to use on a slot which is more of a
computer configuration problem than anything else.

I don't have a slot award glass for a certain game I cannot mention
but I would like to display some pictures of the
award payouts and others on an LCD screen.

I won a cheap HP laptop (loaded with a basic XP Home Edition) on
fleabay which I will be using to power up
an 19" Dell Widescreen LCD display panel which will be placed in the
location on the slot machine where the award glass usually goes.
The LCD screen & laptop is powered by the machine's extra 115VAC outlet and
turns on when the machine's power switch is also turned on.
The LCD is plugged into the extra screen port of the laptop.
I also have the external speaker port running into the slot speaker wires.

The pictures I have of the award glass payouts are of a .jpg & .gif files and
are downloaded to the laptop into a program called "Microsoft Power Point Presentation".
Basically it's a slide show program which can be configured to
display pictures or short video clips at times I have options to preset their display run length.
In other words, the award payout pictures will run for about a minute
while others just pop up for like 10-15 seconds.
I can also run short animation .gif files as well.
The possibilities are pretty much endless as to what I can display on the widescreen monitor
and can be run in an endless loop.

However, this is also where the problem lies...there are no options in the Power Point program
that I can see which would allow me to run the pictures automatically
when the laptop computer is powered up.
I don't want to connect a wireless keyboard & mouse to start
the slideshow program to run the pictures every time I turn on the machine's power.

Is there any way I can perhaps add a line of command to the start up folder into
the System Configuration Utility column in the laptop - to run the slideshow?
Or am I looking at this wrong?

Any help on this would be fantastic!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 04:21:01 PM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
reho33
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 146

Slot Losers of America / Tokie Owens

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 04:35:40 PM »

Mark,
      Add the PP file to your startup group, you need to save the file as a slideshow format. then add it to the startup group in Windows and then it should run automatically on windows start.

** NOTE: The information contained in any of my posts relating to slot machine ownership and use is information that I have gathered from publicly known sources correspondingly under the same protections of Free Speech governed under the Laws of the United States and Canada and is for informational use only. As is my Constitutional Right under United States and Canadian Laws the redistribution of said information is considered a form of free speech. Using this information in the United States or Canada to conduct illegal gambling in states/provinces where it is unlawful has been declared against the law in those states/jurisdictions and as such I do not advocate the illegal use of such information under both the United States and Canadian Laws. All references and examples of personal experiences are hypothetical in nature, and it is up to you to determine if the information presented is applicable to your situation or not**
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 05:21:33 PM »

okay, good info...is it just a copy & paste the PP file into the start up folder?
Nothing else? It can't be THAT easy!   arrow
Here's a snapshot of the start up folder...
I don't know how to add a PP file into it though... Scratch Head 3 Scratch Head 2
Click on it to enlarge>>>

* start up folder.png (62.01 KB, 800x600 - viewed 351 times.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 05:29:15 PM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
reho33
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 11:09:30 PM »

No, don't use msconfig.
You need to save your pp as a slideshow.
when you have your file open in PP do File-->Save As--> then give it a name like test1.pps (save it as a powerpoint slide show hence the pps).

Now, place that file in the startup group like this , when you do Save As, pick the place to save in this path  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
The next time Windows starts, the slideshow will be full screen and start automatically!

Hope that helps ya.

** NOTE: The information contained in any of my posts relating to slot machine ownership and use is information that I have gathered from publicly known sources correspondingly under the same protections of Free Speech governed under the Laws of the United States and Canada and is for informational use only. As is my Constitutional Right under United States and Canadian Laws the redistribution of said information is considered a form of free speech. Using this information in the United States or Canada to conduct illegal gambling in states/provinces where it is unlawful has been declared against the law in those states/jurisdictions and as such I do not advocate the illegal use of such information under both the United States and Canadian Laws. All references and examples of personal experiences are hypothetical in nature, and it is up to you to determine if the information presented is applicable to your situation or not**
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 02:38:17 PM »

I tried your suggestions last night and it works exactly the way I want it to!
reho33
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 03:41:08 PM »

Can I get a Kmen?

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 11:16:23 PM »

I'll give you one each day I'm online!!!!  Tongue Out
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.