Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 08:25:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  The Slot Shop **Tech Talk**
| | |-+  Battery Soldering Tips
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Battery Soldering Tips  (Read 17920 times)
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 233

« on: September 13, 2010, 03:19:36 AM »

Hey guys,

I'm sure I'm about to get hit by a 'wtf' locomotive, but I was wondering if anybody has a tutorial on soldering the watch style batteries onto a board like I have on my S2000 and Game King.  I'll admit it, I'm afraid of soldering.  I did it on my old Jackpot Jungle, but I think I got lucky and almost ruined my board.  The soldering iron that I have is ancient, and I think I was going about it in about the worst way possible.  I fear the day that these start to go and even thought it would be worth it to pay the freight and labor to send to an expert that loves that sort of thing....yeah, yeah, I know it sounds weak on my part, but I'm more of a software guy.

Anyway, is there a video of the procedure?  Perhaps I could "learn by watching."  Wink

Thanks,
Jason
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 05:50:47 AM by Yoeddy1 » Logged

Yoeddy's IGT Slot Machine Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/Yoeddy1
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 07:28:22 AM »

Jason,

I did not look at any of these as I am dog tired, but here is a search that I did for some "youtube how to solder videos."

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=p&tbs=vid:1&&sa=X&ei=8OuNTKXuAoe8sAPH3aSVBA&ved=0CDYQBSgA&q=youtube+how+to+solder&spell=1

Hopefully something here will get you started on your path to becoming a Master PCB Soldering Guy!  bust gut laughing

I cannot stress enough that a "decent" soldering iron is probably a must to have.

Probably not this... http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/?category=&q=soldering+iron   Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Sorry in advance to the people here that have one of them, and it works great for you!!! wave yes I usually burnt myself with those, or almost set the place on fire with one like that!  Duh! frying pan Crazy

Maybe something like this??? I was surprised by the price! Duh!  http://cgi.ebay.com/VARIABLE-TEMPERATURE-40-WATT-SOLDERING-IRON-STATION-NEW-/260661323312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb0a02630

I use something like this on basic soldering.....  http://cgi.ebay.com/Weller-WLC100-Soldering-Station-Iron-40W-40-Watt-NEW-/280554964985?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41526107f9

Here it is used... http://cgi.ebay.com/Weller-WLC100-Soldering-Station-Iron-40W-40-Watt-/370430060500?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563f5a27d4

Now you have some homework while you wait for other "experts" to reply! bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

CaptainHappy CaptainHappy

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 01:33:07 PM »

I have to agree 100% with CaptainHappy. The BEST thing you can do is to invest in a decent temperature controlled soldering station with replaceable tips.

I bought a Tenma from MCM and am happy with it, but Weller is a well known brand and one of their models would be a good choice. My model, which listed for $90 and was on sale for $40 the week I bought it, has been replaced with another, but it lists specific temperatures on the dial and has an independent LED scale that shows the current temperature of the iron.

As far as soldering those watch batteries, I've only done it once and it was a b^#ch. Buzz has done it many times and I followed his advice. YMMV.

First, when you remove the old battery, cut the flat leads as close to the battery as possible: leave as much of the leads on the board as you can. He told me to use flux to clean the surface of the battery first and then to adhere a drop of solder each side of the battery, and finally to put the battery in place with the board leads touching and remelt the solder.

The problem I had was that I couldn't get any solder to adhere to the negative side (the smaller smooth circle). I boiled away half of the battery trying to get it to take. It's in place and working (and I can't tell you how surprised I was that it still had all of its 3.3V! (3V batt.), but I'm sure I'll have to change it again before long.

The next time I'm going to get a battery holder and solder it to the board and then put the battery into it, even if I know that I won't have to replace the battery for 10 years.

Maybe Buzz or another member can shed more light with some tips I don't know.

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 01:36:23 PM »

Bought this one for $49.95 last week on sale...

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/21-7958

Use promo code DD9102 to get that price, but I'm not sure how much longer it will be valid. Regular price is $112.

Thanks,
Bill
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 02:00:39 PM »

Stat just confirmed that I would most likely burn down my house if I attempted a solder job with the watch style batteries.   Cry Laughing

Is there anybody out here that performs a service like this for those of us that are all thumbs with a soldering iron?  I would have to imagine that I'm not the only guy in this circumstance. 

StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 02:49:24 PM »

Stat just confirmed that I would most likely burn down my house if I attempted a solder job with the watch style batteries.   Cry Laughing

Is there anybody out here that performs a service like this for those of us that are all thumbs with a soldering iron?  I would have to imagine that I'm not the only guy in this circumstance. 

I'll have to admit that soldering a watch battery would not be a task I would suggest to a soldering newbie trying to get his feet wet.  However, if you're going to play the slot game, you owe it to yourself to get a decent iron and start practicing. You have a couple of other options:

• You can find a disk battery holder and solder that onto your board instead. That's much easier than trying to solder the battery in directly. Pick a common size for a battery that can be easily found in a local store. (CR2032 or CD2025 come to mind)
  • You can find a disk battery with tabs already in place and solder that to the board.
  • You can use a 1/2AA or full AA 3.6V battery (the ones used in many slot machines) and avoid dealing with the watch-style batteries altogether. They are easier to deal with and also can be purchased with leads. The extra 0.6V shouldn't hurt anything. (If an electronic expert disagrees, please post)
  • You can solder leads to a 1/2AA or full AA battery holder to the board and then put your barrel battery in the holder.

When you order your soldering station, pick up a DVM DMM if you don't already have one. It's as basic a tool as a screwdriver. You'll probably use it more often than a screwdriver when working on slots. Tongue Out

Stat garfield

<EDIT> They call them Multi-Meters nowadays. lol. frying pan
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 02:55:57 PM by StatFreak » Logged

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
theDotster
Contributing Gold NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 219

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 03:02:39 PM »

I'm a newbie to soldering, I tried to solder a button battery into my Mikon controller and it got so hot will I mucked about that it exploded and nearly took my eye out, I recommend getting a professional in !!

When I die, I hope my wife doesn't sell my machines for how much I told her they cost.
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 03:07:34 PM »

Are there any NLG'ers that can do this procedure in their sleep and offer up this kind of professional service for the inexperienced crowd?

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 06:23:28 PM »

Buying a temperature controlled soldering station won't help a newbie much.
The best thing to do is LEARN!
Read a few online internet articles on basic soldering techniques.
Then practice with your soldering pencil and make a box out of paper clips.
If you can master that - you can solder anything without fear...

It will teach you how NOT to start a fire or BURN your fingers.

The best way to teach a child about fire is give them a small box 
of wooden stick matches and watch them light them up.
They LEARN really fast!

Check this out>>>
http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=6994.msg62409#msg62409

Also, always, ALWAYS wear safety glasses when soldering batteries!!!!
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 06:29:29 PM »

Buying a temperature controlled soldering station won't help a newbie much.
The best thing to do is LEARN!
Read a few online internet articles on basic soldering techniques.
Then practice with your soldering pencil and make a box out of paper clips.
If you can master that - you can solder anything without fear...

It will teach you how NOT to start a fire or BURN your fingers.

The best way to teach a child about fire is give them a small box 
of wooden stick matches and watch them light them up.
They LEARN really fast!

Check this out>>>
http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=6994.msg62409#msg62409

Also, always, ALWAYS wear safety glasses when soldering batteries!!!!

Well, the BIG problem is that my hands shake like a dog pooping razor blades, and by the looks of those boards and where those batteries are located, I'd shake myself right into a disaster.  LOL!

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 06:32:42 PM »

I really like Statfreak's Reply#5.
There would no heat applied to the battery if you just snip off the old one and
solder in a battery holder and drop in a new battery into the holder.

Remember, fear is something you can overcome.
Knowledge helps overcome fear.
So, you better start reading soldering articles... rotflmao
Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS

Total Karma Storms: 288

513-984-2201

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 06:38:51 PM »

If you only intend to do very limited soldering, I would suggest finding someone else to do it for you . Until you buy a soldering station , solder, flux, and a desoldering tool or braid and the smaller tools required to deal with electronic components you will have at least 150.00  invested. According to their website, Batteries Plus has locations in most major cities, they generally carry most batteries and will replace them on a board type level. meaning ,if you carry the board into the store if they have the battery they will unsolder the old and put in a new battery. As with anything else, you are the last inspector.
  As for tips to solder: the key to soldering is CLEANLINESS. you will never get solder to adhere to anything that is dirty, oily, etc. clean and tin any component before attempting any soldering. The tip of the soldering pencil itself has to be clean for maximun heat transfer. Tinning is a procedure that allows you to clean and flow solder onto the surface of the component that you are going to solder to a pcb. Its advisable to buy a soldering iron that you can replace tips, there are different type tips for different type soldering applications. If you apply to much heat or pressure to the eyelet or run , you could cause them to be lifted from the board and then you have another repair to do .  Applying too much heat to a component can do damage to the component and could injure the person doing the soldering. this generally applies to thru hole soldering applications, surface mount is a whole new world.

Jim

MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma.
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 06:52:54 PM »

Are there any NLG'ers that can do this procedure in their sleep and offer up this kind of professional service for the inexperienced crowd?

Jason  to be blunt I could do as you ask and solder a battery onto your board for you, but I won't. Reason being if I do it for you, you learn nothing. I have to ask, why are you changing the battery? Have you checked it with a multimeter? (bet you haven't)  Would you go out and buy a new set of tires for your car without inspecting the old ones? Same is true for a battery, you have to inspect it, only way I know how is with a multimeter. Go down to your local Harbor Fright (you have one I looked it up) buy a multimeter and cheap soldering iron, ( I say a cheap iron because I don't see you doing board repairs and a cheap one will solder a battery just fine) the multimeter you will buy from H/F is close to the category of being junk but will serve the purpose of checking a battery's voltage. Stop by a hardware store and buy some 60/40 solder the smaller diameter the better DO NOT BUY ACID CORE SOLDER   acid core BAD rosin core GOOD solid core OK ( I use solid core ) also get a small tin or bottle of flux and a sheet of fine sandpaper.

Now the fun begins  I would have you take the new battery and sandpaper some of the gloss off it where you are going to apply the solder. do this close to the edge of the battery both sides ( at 12 o'clock top and 6 o'clock bottom)  With the iron hot and ever though you bought rosin core solder put a dab of flux on the battery  (no such thing as to much flux, when your done it wipes right off)) Now place the hot iron to the battery where you want the solder, first the flux will burn off, now stick the end of the solder to the battery close to but not against the soldering iron tip, when the battery gets hot enough the solder will start flowing now just kind of lift the iron up a little bit so you get a pretty thick pool of solder. Do the same thing to the other side. now your ready to cut the metal tabs as close to the battery as you can, top one first, lift the battery vertical and cut the bottom side, here again as close to the battery as possible because the tabs will be reused even though they will be a little shorter, With the old battery out pratice your soldering on it. With a pair of pliers straighten the tabs ( doesn't hurt and kind of helps to put some solder on them also) Last step hold the battery vertical and against the lower tab, solder to the tab ( if you use your bare fingers they are going to get burned ) take the hot iron and touch the tab until the solder flows between the two. wait just a little while until the solder hardens ( 5/10 seconds) If you move it to quick it will break off and you get a little more pratice. Fold the battery over and repeat the top side. Now your done and you feel better because you did it yourself.

This is the method I use because I don't like putting heat anywhere close to a board if I don't have to. I should add that all of Stat's recommendations are right on. But me I don't install a holder because 10 years from now I don't care how much trouble someone else has changing a battery.

IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE GETTING THE SOLDER TO STICK TO THE NEW BATTERY<DISREGARDE> ALL OF THE ABOVE

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 06:54:41 PM »

Thanks guys.  Jim, when I performed the soldering hack job on my old Jackpot Jungle, I bought a battery with the soldering leads from Batteries Plus!   I had no idea that they would perform the service!  I'll have to give our local shop a call and see if they'll do it.  

Thanks for the advice, and yes, soldering is MINIMAL in my world.  This would really be the only use case for a soldering station, hence the request to find someone that can do it.

Thanks again,
Jason

Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 06:58:09 PM »

Jason  to be blunt I could do as you ask and solder a battery onto your board for you, but I won't. Reason being if I do it for you, you learn nothing. I have to ask, why are you changing the battery?

Hi Buzz,
There aren't any problems with my machines at all...they're running great.  I'm just doing a bit of research before the problem happens, so I thought I'd ask the community.  Thanks for the advice.

Jason

Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 07:11:35 PM »

Believe me gents, I am one of the world's biggest proponents of "DIY" as it does help an end user learn, save money, and feel that sense of accomplishment, but in this case...let's just say I would not make it as a doctor using fine instrumentation.  It really is a matter of the shakes that I have a hard time controlling.  You guys are great, and I appreciate your willingness to always help out.  I know my limits, and unfortunately, this is one of them.

channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 07:58:28 PM »

OK folks...

I've been soldering for years... started as a kid in the 7th grade with my first soldering iron. Upgraded my first computer from 16 to 64K when I was in 8th grade... and  went to school to learn surface mount soldering in '93... Let me go on the record as saying:

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER SOLDER TO BUTTON OR COIN BATTERIES

Buy a solder in battery holder... or go to Batteries Plus and buy a battery... They will spot weld the leads onto the battery for FREE. (At least the ones here in North Texas do!)

Those batteries can and will leak, explode, or worse... Lithium batteries contain EXTREMELY corrosive materials inside them. They will burn skin, eat traces, and cause lots of damage to whatever it lands on.

I'll solder all kinds of things, even .4mm pitch leads on a surface mount chips, but I will NEVER solder to a coin battery.

RJ

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 09:58:40 PM »

RJ  Let me go on the record YOU DON'T    I DO   

channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 11:11:02 PM »

I live 6 blocks away from the local Batteries Plus. They will spot weld leads for free on coin batteries you buy from them. It's far safer to solder to the leads.

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 11:14:06 PM »

Truth of the matter is I live in a Town that the only place you can spend money is, pay your water bill or go to the Post Office and buy stamps.

reho33
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 146

Slot Losers of America / Tokie Owens

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 11:16:38 PM »

You are really not supposed to solder batteries unless they have "solder tabs". The batteries I used for the S2000 had those tabs with pre-soldered leads so very easy to install. I just went to a hamfest and picked up a Weller gun for 10 dollars, now I want to solder everything because it heats up fast and cools down just as fast. I even made a door able for my Bally as per Stout's instructions.

** NOTE: The information contained in any of my posts relating to slot machine ownership and use is information that I have gathered from publicly known sources correspondingly under the same protections of Free Speech governed under the Laws of the United States and Canada and is for informational use only. As is my Constitutional Right under United States and Canadian Laws the redistribution of said information is considered a form of free speech. Using this information in the United States or Canada to conduct illegal gambling in states/provinces where it is unlawful has been declared against the law in those states/jurisdictions and as such I do not advocate the illegal use of such information under both the United States and Canadian Laws. All references and examples of personal experiences are hypothetical in nature, and it is up to you to determine if the information presented is applicable to your situation or not**
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 11:18:05 PM »

OK folks...

I've been soldering for years... started as a kid in the 7th grade with my first soldering iron. Upgraded my first computer from 16 to 64K when I was in 8th grade... and  went to school to learn surface mount soldering in '93... Let me go on the record as saying:

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER SOLDER TO BUTTON OR COIN BATTERIES

Buy a solder in battery holder... or go to Batteries Plus and buy a battery... They will spot weld the leads onto the battery for FREE. (At least the ones here in North Texas do!)

Those batteries can and will leak, explode, or worse... Lithium batteries contain EXTREMELY corrosive materials inside them. They will burn skin, eat traces, and cause lots of damage to whatever it lands on.

I'll solder all kinds of things, even .4mm pitch leads on a surface mount chips, but I will NEVER solder to a coin battery.

RJ

Channel, do you have any photos of the "soldered on" battery holders on an S2000 or Game King board?  Just curious what they look like.

Tilt
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 366

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 11:39:03 PM »

Here's a photo for you from another thread.  The same battery/holder works on S2K MPUs and 3802/3902 boards.  Clean, neat, and will last a long time. 

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=6357.msg56520#msg56520

Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 11:45:32 PM »

Here's a photo for you from another thread.  The same battery/holder works on S2K MPUs and 3802/3902 boards.  Clean, neat, and will last a long time. 

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=6357.msg56520#msg56520

Thanks Tilt!  I'll check with Batteries Plus and see if they carry them.  That would be a clean way of doing it indeed.

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 01:58:55 PM »

Excellent post Tilt!  Clap
That would be the best way to do it!!  yes
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.