Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 06:07:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  Welcome wagon and General Chat (Off-Topic Post Welcome) (Moderator: Ron (r273))
| | |-+  Shattered patio door window! Aargh.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shattered patio door window! Aargh.  (Read 7635 times)
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« on: October 01, 2010, 02:35:42 AM »

Just needed to vent a little.  I got home tonight to find the glass on the stationary half of the patio door spiderwebed into a few thousand pieces.   hissy fit hissy fit hissy fit

At first I thought that someone had tried to break in, but upon further inspection, it's just the outside pane of two-pane glass, and it appears to have started right near the top of the door (much higher than someone trying to break in would have hit).

The landscaping company (I live in a townhouse with an association -- not some grand estate where I'd need a landscaping company) mowed the grass today.  I'm 99.9% sure that their mower must have kicked up a rock into the door.  The glass didn't spill onto the ground below (it's surprisingly intact at the moment, but one gust of wind will probably change that), so they probably didn't even notice that they did it.   no

Needless to say, I'll be making a visit to the company who manages our homeowner's association stuff first thing tomorrow.  Conveniently, their office is literally directly across the street from my work.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 03:13:19 AM »

Take a good high resolution closeup of where the break originated. If it was due to impact you'll be able to see it.

Thanks,
Bill
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 751

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 03:46:30 AM »

(it's surprisingly intact at the moment, but one gust of wind will probably change that),

It will likely stay intact for ya...so no worries till they order in a replacement.  All glass patio doors are a laminated safety glazing much like the windshield in your car.  So basically it has a clear film layer bound within the glass panel that holds it together.  It could be worse...it could be shattered to the ground and all your slot machines are missing.   arrow
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 03:54:12 AM by Bettor Slots » Logged

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 04:51:17 AM »

And a nice invitation from the local PD wanting to discuss said missing items...   Sherlock Smiley Sherlock Smiley Sherlock Smiley Sherlock Smiley

Thanks,
Bill
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 05:42:20 AM »

Take a good high resolution closeup of where the break originated. If it was due to impact you'll be able to see it.

Will do.  We can kinda see where it was, and it had to have been impact (not just expansion from heat or something).

It will likely stay intact for ya...so no worries till they order in a replacement.  All glass patio doors are a laminated safety glazing much like the windshield in your car.  So basically it has a clear film layer bound within the glass panel that holds it together. 

I sure hope so.  Just standing next to it, I can hear it cracking and breaking every few seconds -- just little crackle noises here and there.  On the plus side, if it does go, it's the outside of the house that will get the bits of glass.

And a nice invitation from the local PD wanting to discuss said missing items...   Sherlock Smiley Sherlock Smiley Sherlock Smiley Sherlock Smiley

Heh, I actually invited the PD over to make sure that they didn't have other reports of broken glass/attempted entry in the area.  That's when I found out from a neighbor that they were out mowing the lawn today.  I'm in a legal state -- the cop barely even glanced at the slots in the basement (right next to the glass), other than to suggest that I move one of them in case the window decided to shatter inwards.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 01:11:25 PM »

I'd lay an old tarp on the patio next to the door.
It'll be easier to clean up after it goes completely.
Please wear safety glasses around that thing!!!
Maybe tape some plastic sheeting onto the door frame before removing the door too!
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 04:49:21 PM »

I'd lay an old tarp on the patio next to the door.

Good idea!

I'm waiting on a call back from the lawn care company to see if they're going to take responsibility or not.  If not, back to the association since ultimately I pay them for maintenance (not the lawn care company).

knagl

Kevin

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 01:59:22 AM »

As a follow-up, after a little bit of resistance, the lawn care company is taking care of the issue.  I should have new glass installed this coming monday.   yes

Brianzz
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 316

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 02:22:09 AM »

I would knock the other one out and call them and say "The damnedest thing just happened while your workers were mowing grass..." maybe they'll give you a whole new door  Cry Laughing
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 03:10:06 AM »

As a follow-up, after a little bit of resistance, the lawn care company is taking care of the issue.  I should have new glass installed this coming monday.   yes

...and the lawn maintenance crew is scheduled to come by Tuesday, right? muted  Help   rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao   Pretend this is grass -->Snow Blower Golf Smiley

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.