Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 04:16:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  hopper optic voltage
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: hopper optic voltage  (Read 7099 times)
russdx
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 5

« on: October 10, 2010, 06:04:22 PM »

i don't suppose any one knows what voltage the hopper optic is supplied with? is it 3.3v or 5v?

does any one know how the signal is handled? has it got a pull up/down resistor?

thanks Smiley
TZtech
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 129

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 06:39:39 PM »

Hi There

Assuming you are referring to S+
With no coin blocking the optic the phototransistor is "on" and takes the input on the processor board to 0v (Gnd). Supply voltage is 8 to 10v DC (+Vb) and pull up resistors take the input high when the sensor is blocked.

Refer to attached.

Ian

* Hopper Optic.pdf (47.62 KB - downloaded 221 times.)
russdx

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 08:44:33 PM »

thats exactly what i needed thanks Smiley

im writing a FPGA control module for this hopper and was getting some crazy output from the optic, but was driving it from 3.3v with no pull up resistor. ill amend my circuit.

thanks again Smiley
TZtech

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 04:40:23 AM »

Cool

Field Programmable Gate Array's are something I have never played around with. Please post some more details on how you are implementing this and how these things are programmed. I have done something similar with a microchip PIC. Have a look at this thread. If you need just the hopper simulation cheapest option is probably 555  timer. Built one years ago for Bally 5500.
http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?action=printpage;topic=7238.0

Ian
russdx

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 06:49:20 AM »

ah yes i came across this thread while reading the forums very interesting. I never really got into PICs (my dad loves them!) i tend to use the arm7 LPC2106 micro controllers.

im building my own slot machine, iv basically gutted my old IGT s slot and am currently rebuilding the electronics from scratch. Iv kept the hopper, coin comparator, buttons and LED credit panal and rewrote all the control code/hardware in Verilog to run on a Cyclone II EP2C5.

The basic design is the arm7 microcontroller runs the game code and handles the switch inputs and talks to the FPGA (memory map) which intern controls all the hardware

also have a nice 192x64 DMD display like they use on the Williams dotmation machines Smiley

im using the pluto3 kit from here http://www.knjn.com/FPGA-RS232.html
code is written in verilog (quite easy to pick up) programming the device can be done using usb with a simple ftdi usb chip

if any ones interested i can upload more information on the project Smiley
TZtech

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 04:29:04 PM »

Hi

Was actually doing some googling on ARM chips over the weekend. - Specifically this one -http://mbed.org/.
Currently using a basic compiler for the PICS - Am interested in learning more about C for micros so if you have any pointers let me know.

Would be very interested to see some more info on your DIY slot.

Ian
russdx

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 07:38:32 AM »

Im very new to C my self so cant help much their hehe (come from a adobe flash action script background), i do prefer to work with the higher level languages then the lower, cant stand playing with registers hehe, but they do have there used especially when it comes to hardware drivers

iv stripped out my old igt slot and replaced the HUGE processor board with my own custom slot controller board (10cm x 10cm lol)

simple diagram of the board features (each reel connector includes the 3 reel lamps and optic sensor)

the actual pcb design (few little mistakes but they will me mended!) (was my first pcb iv designed hehe)
the board it self is VERY simple, the FPGA does all the work, the arm runs the game code and makes all the decisions and the rest of the board is just ULN2803s to drive the physical hardware (great octal chips to convert FPGA 3.3v volt signals to control high current 12v lines)

the board and hardware all works, currently finishing off coding the reels FPGA module + arm driver code and hopper FPGA module. every thing else is done.

still need to design the DMD control board (bread boarded at the moment) but does work! (looks dam cool as well haha)
got fonts and boarders coded, still need to add images + animations (bit more tricky lol)

audio board is next as well but leaving this last as its not essential

hopefully have the hopper working correctly this weekend (using the new optic info Smiley), ill post a video up this weekend of the machine accepting coins displaying them on the 7seg panel and then paying them out Smiley
russdx

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 09:31:13 AM »

once im finished your welcome to all my source code (new to C and Verilog so will be messy) Smiley
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »

Holy Craps That's crazy simple Russ!
You've made a fantastic board! applause
I can't wait to see it all hooked up and running! obsessed drool
All you need is a dipswitchable game prom.
You'd be able to run any game just by flipping a dip instead of swapping proms all the time!
Hooked up to an LCD screen in the top box, you'd never have to swap award glasses either.
The only thing you have to change are the reel strips!  Hail
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 12:24:29 PM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
russdx

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 12:32:20 PM »

hehe, i did want to have a lcd belly glass for that very reason!, but decided i love the original back lit standard glasses to much (reason i decided to build a proper mechanical reel machine with lamps and 7segments and dmd displays) not just 2 LCD screens, i love all that hardware stuff much more fun!

ill take some pictures this weekend of it all setup (minus the reels hehe, still working on them)

Smiley
russdx

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 03:07:02 PM »

heres the schematic if any ones interested, im quite new to electronics so it may not be 100% correct, but iv built it and nothings blown up yet lol

see attached

* schematic.PDF (384.69 KB - downloaded 240 times.)
TZtech

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 08:31:53 AM »

Hello Russ

That a pretty complicated setup for your first try at electronics circuits. Vey well done.
what schematic/PCB software did you use and what was your experience with it.
Did you have the PCB;s made or did you DIY.

Ian
russdx

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 10:21:19 AM »

used Altium Designer(borrowed off friend) to create the pcb schematic/design, and had the board made by BatchPCB

http://russdx.frankster200.com/slot/DSC_0037.jpg

had 2 made, incase i made mistakes (which i did, but minor so could get around them hehe)

just making my 12v regulation circuit at the moment off the main transformer (seams to be a 26v coil with a 13v centre tap which is useful hehe)

once thats done ill get my hopper finished, then post some pics and videos of it running simple tasks hehe
russdx

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 02:19:50 PM »

ah crap, trashed my ftdi chip i use to program the arm microcontroller dodgy earth or somin.

no hopper code today Sad lol  ordered a new ftdi chip be here monday sweeet
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 02:53:59 PM »

it is fun to watch this progress along though!  Tongue Out
You'll figure it out!
I only know about half of the terms you're saying but it's a learning process for me too... Hail
russdx

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 03:22:55 PM »

hehe thanks, ill make a new thread when more is working and ill explain it all Smiley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.