Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:30:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S2000 and Vision Games.
| | |-+  How to use IGT S+ game kits in an IGT S2000 machine
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to use IGT S+ game kits in an IGT S2000 machine  (Read 42836 times)
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« on: February 23, 2011, 12:24:28 AM »

How to use IGT S+ game kits in an IGT S2000

(Information gathered from this thread, with kudos to Brianzz, Buzz, coorslight115, Foster, Ohio Gaming, r273, StatFreak, and stayouttadabunker for providing valuable information and pictures to make this post possible.)

Most any typical S+ game kit and chips can be used in an S2000 (except for tournament chips).  In order to use your S+ kit in an S2000 game, you'll need:

- S2000 base chip SB001000

- Your S+ glass, reel strips, and SS chip

Note: there may be a speed limitation in that SS EPROMs that are not fast enough may cause problems with proper operation in an S2000 machine.  No permanent damage will occur, but the game may not behave correctly or could potentially lock up if too slow of a chip is used.

A 27C64 at 120ns (or faster) will work with older S2000 GMEs that are 4 meg.

A 27C64 at 100ns (or faster) will work with newer S2000 GMEs that are 8 meg.

For the older 4MB GMEs, that means the number must be 120 or less (since 1 nanosecond is faster than 2 nanoseconds.  90 nanoseconds is faster than 120 nanoseconds).  To determine the chip speed, look at the markings on the chip (under the paper label) -- the last part of the number is the speed.  For example, 27c64 120 would be 120ns.  27c64 100 would be 100ns.  27c64 200 would be 200ns (and likely too slow to use, although some members have reported success using 200ns SS chips).

Warning: ALWAYS ensure that the machine power is OFF when removing or inserting the MPU board.

Install the SB001000 chip in the U21 socket, and the SS chip in U17 (see pictures below).

Note: The SS chip has fewer pins than the U17 socket.  Install the chip ensuring that the notch in the chip is in the same direction as the notch in the socket, but leave a gap between the notches (the chip should be up against the un-notched end of the socket).  See the diagram below for a visual look at how the chip should be installed in the socket.

You cannot change the payback percentage through the S2000 menus for S+ games used in an S2000 -- the payback is determined by the data on the SS chip (just as it is with a S+ machine).

You may have to do a clear and/or keychip to change key menu settings including the accounting denomination.  Use Keychip 17 to access keychip functions.

The S2000 will take advantage of the backlit reels (if equipped), however S+ reel strips are slightly wider than S2000 backlit strips.  You may wish to consider using S2000 non-backlit reels with your S+ strips to avoid having to cut the strips down to fit in the backlit reel baskets (S2000 non-backlit reel baskets are slightly wider than their backlit cousins, and are the same width as S+ reel baskets).

The S2000 will also give you more advanced sound than the S+, however specialty games with respin sounds (Spin 'Til You Win, Coral Reef, Bullseye, etc.) will not have different song selections available like they would on a S+ machine with an older SP chip -- it will just play "We're in the Money" during a respin.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:15:47 PM by knagl » Logged

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 12:41:15 AM »

About using S+ reel chips in the S2000, if they are a 27C512 with an offset so they work in S+, will fail to work in the S2000.
The S2000 does not hold the additional address pins at a logic 1.

So if you have to make a S2000 compatible SS chip with a 27__512 (C or SF) no offset is used.

I would test a chip that was made for the S+ in the S+ (SST 27SF512) worked fine is S+ move to S2000. machine would show SS chip invalid.
When redid the chip without any offsets it worked.

Also the S2000 does not seem to damage the chips that you normally replace to do game change if you accidentally reverse them, but the S+ will every time.

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 233

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 12:47:01 AM »

Great post everybody and to Kevin for tying it all together.  I vote sticky.

Jason

Yoeddy's IGT Slot Machine Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/Yoeddy1
OhioGaming
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 297

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 01:33:21 AM »

I am not 100% sure of this but think it is true.

A 27C64 at 120ns will work with older S2000 GMEs that are 4 meg.

A 27C64 at 100ns will work with newer S2000 GMEs that are 8 meg.

If someone else knows this is not correct .. correct me.
reho33
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 146

Slot Losers of America / Tokie Owens

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 01:49:46 AM »

Will the "legacy sounds" be as "smooth" as in the S+ or will they have that "waveformy squareness" to them??

** NOTE: The information contained in any of my posts relating to slot machine ownership and use is information that I have gathered from publicly known sources correspondingly under the same protections of Free Speech governed under the Laws of the United States and Canada and is for informational use only. As is my Constitutional Right under United States and Canadian Laws the redistribution of said information is considered a form of free speech. Using this information in the United States or Canada to conduct illegal gambling in states/provinces where it is unlawful has been declared against the law in those states/jurisdictions and as such I do not advocate the illegal use of such information under both the United States and Canadian Laws. All references and examples of personal experiences are hypothetical in nature, and it is up to you to determine if the information presented is applicable to your situation or not**
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 79

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 02:15:39 AM »

Just for the hell of it I thru my OEM haywire chip in. It is a 27c64 200 and it worked fine . Had s2000 type haywire spin and your in the money tunes. Not too sure about the speed restrictions on the chips. SS4080
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 04:00:16 AM »

Just for the hell of it I thru my OEM haywire chip in. It is a 27c64 200 and it worked fine . Had s2000 type haywire spin and your in the money tunes. Not too sure about the speed restrictions on the chips. SS4080

I've read many times in the past that there is a speed restriction on the chips, although perhaps it's an issue where mileage may vary.  Did you have a sound SIMM installed when you were getting the "We're in the Money" Haywire spins, or is that built in?  I know the DSV00042 has Haywire sounds on it -- I just wonder if the game can take advantage of it with the S+ Haywire chips, or if it'd require using an S2000 Haywire chip to get the full effect.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 06:03:37 AM »

The Enhanced sound works with the S+ reel eprom in the S2000/Vision platform.

I also use my 120ns S+ eprom in it with no issues.

Thanks,
Bill
JRR4
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 04:22:03 PM »

Wish I had seen this yesterday but glad I found it today.  One thing, I'm having a time getting my S+ reel strips to fit into my S2000 reels.  They seem a micron too wide.  Anyone else have this problem.  Maybe the backlit reels are slightly narrower that the non backlit versions?
Ron (r273)
NLG Welcome Wagon & General Chat
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 401

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 04:38:05 PM »

Wish I had seen this yesterday but glad I found it today.  One thing, I'm having a time getting my S+ reel strips to fit into my S2000 reels.  They seem a micron too wide.  Anyone else have this problem.  Maybe the backlit reels are slightly narrower that the non backlit versions?

The strips are a liitle wider as the backlit strips and reels are narrower. I had to cut about a 1/32" off of my strips so they would fit.
I measured and used a straight edge and marked the edges with a ball point pen. The only problem if you go to use them
on a non lit reels they will be loose and may come off.

Ron (r273)
JRR4
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 04:39:28 PM »

Poor planning on the reel designers part, or maybe $$$mart planning.
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 04:53:16 PM »

The only problem if you go to use them on a non lit reels they will be loose and may come off.

Ron-

To be clear, is there a difference in size between S2000 backlit reels and S2000 non-backlit reels, or is the size difference between S2000 reels (regardless of backlit or not) and S+ reels?

In other words, would it make sense for someone wanting to use a S+ kit in a S2000 to buy a set of non-backlit S2000 reels, or would it not make a difference?

Ron (r273)
NLG Welcome Wagon & General Chat
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 401

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 05:11:18 PM »

The only problem if you go to use them on a non lit reels they will be loose and may come off.

Ron-

To be clear, is there a difference in size between S2000 backlit reels and S2000 non-backlit reels, or is the size difference between S2000 reels (regardless of backlit or not) and S+ reels?

In other words, would it make sense for someone wanting to use a S+ kit in a S2000 to buy a set of non-backlit S2000 reels, or would it not make a difference?

I found all my S+ strips were slightly wider. They are the ones I cut down as I only have one S+ left. Don't know if there is a differents in the two S-2000 reels.

Ron (r273)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 05:21:56 PM by r273 » Logged
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 05:55:38 PM »

Because most reel baskets are so out of whack - it's hard to determine the exact width.
I must agree with others that I've found that the S+ strips
are wider than the S2000 backlit reel baskets.
I just don't put S+ games and strips into my s2000 very often and
I will NOT cut perfectly good S+ strips to do this.
When you go to install the S+ strips back into the S+ -
they're way too loose.

It only makes sense to cut them if you're not planning
to ever install them back into an S+.
Pretty much what  r273 has done.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 08:10:26 PM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 06:49:25 PM »

The other option is to get a set of non backlit reels for the S2000.
The back lit controller will be fine when you use non back lit strips since those connections on the non back lit reel assemblies are empty. 

knagl

Kevin

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 06:51:43 PM »

The other option is to get a set of non backlit reels for the S2000.

That's what I was trying to get at -- are the non-backlit S2000 reels wider (and comparable to the S+ reels)?

Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 06:57:41 PM »

the set I have have the same part number on the baskets as the S+ baskets

knagl

Kevin

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 07:03:34 PM »

Excellent.  I'll add this info to the first post.  K+ and thanks, Foster.  applause

coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 11:56:02 PM »

I've read many times in the past that there is a speed restriction on the chips, although perhaps it's an issue where mileage may vary.  Did you have a sound SIMM installed when you were getting the "We're in the Money" Haywire spins, or is that built in?  I know the DSV00042 has Haywire sounds on it -- I just wonder if the game can take advantage of it with the S+ Haywire chips, or if it'd require using an S2000 Haywire chip to get the full effect.

No sound simm at the time. It was the same legacy sound the S+ does
brendalb
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 02:20:16 PM »

Great info, but I am curious about the Version and Game chips. Are there specific ones to use with the S+ setup?
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 02:40:40 PM »

Great info, but I am curious about the Version and Game chips. Are there specific ones to use with the S+ setup?

No specific one needed, what you have now will most likely work. Just install a SB001000 and your SS chip as instructed above. Pay attention to the SS chip placement in the socket.
JRR4
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 07:15:57 PM »

Anyone know if the S2000 setup as described in this thread with enhanced sound will support the song selection for the S+ coral reef game?   Will the songs sound the same or be 'enhanced'? 
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 08:32:12 PM »

Anyone know if the S2000 setup as described in this thread with enhanced sound will support the song selection for the S+ coral reef game?   Will the songs sound the same or be 'enhanced'?  

I am not sure on this. but since there is no way to chose the song selection and that newer S+ Game chips did not support songs , I would say no it will not play the songs. But I am doing a game change on Saturday and I will pop in a Corel Reef chip and see what it does to be sure if no one chimes in before then
Brianzz
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 316

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »

I seem to remember in another thread someone saying the only respin song is the "we're in the money" when playing an S+ game in an S2000
brianfink
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 20

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 04:48:50 PM »

why do the new 27c64a chips i bought that  work fine in splus keep giving me an invalid ss eprom code but older m27c64 chips seem to work fine when i burn them
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.