Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 06, 2024, 05:43:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S2000 and Vision Games.
| | |-+  S 2000 reel tilt
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: S 2000 reel tilt  (Read 10564 times)
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« on: June 08, 2011, 04:59:30 AM »

I've had a interresting day trying to fix a 3 reel S2000 from reel tilts. Most times couldn't play one game without a tilt, sometimes only #3 and other times all three reels would tilt. Seems the obvious would be dirty reel optics, so I took a air hose and blew them out, No help. OK so I removed the baskets and cleaned the optics, no help. Got to thinking I have another working machine same game, so switched the reels, no help. Next step was to switch the MPU, the reel tilts now moved over to the second machine. So I now know I have a bad MPU, I have plenty  of spares but I can't give up that easy. so after a quick inspection I decide to make a new set of chips for the game. Started out only replacing the base chip, no help. Next version chip, no help. Last but not least the two game chips, no more tilts. I did switch the Base and version back just to see and the game is still OK.  The whole reel tilt problem was in the Game chips.

Bunker take a look at one of your MPUs and take note of the little green wires that IGT did for a mod on all boards. Look at the reel driver for #4 reel, the green wire is soldered in a different  place than the other four.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:05:47 AM by Buzz » Logged

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
blueridgeslots
703 730-0821
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1262

703 730-0821

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 07:59:24 AM »

How many Ram Clears did you try?

Selling Quality Tested and Guaranteed Slot Parts and Machines at Wholesale

http://stores.ebay.com/BLUE-RIDGE-SLOT-SERVICE
stormrider
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 131

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 09:52:44 AM »

I've had a interresting day trying to fix a 3 reel S2000 from reel tilts. Most times couldn't play one game without a tilt, sometimes only #3 and other times all three reels would tilt. Seems the obvious would be dirty reel optics, so I took a air hose and blew them out, No help. OK so I removed the baskets and cleaned the optics, no help. Got to thinking I have another working machine same game, so switched the reels, no help. Next step was to switch the MPU, the reel tilts now moved over to the second machine. So I now know I have a bad MPU, I have plenty  of spares but I can't give up that easy. so after a quick inspection I decide to make a new set of chips for the game. Started out only replacing the base chip, no help. Next version chip, no help. Last but not least the two game chips, no more tilts. I did switch the Base and version back just to see and the game is still OK.  The whole reel tilt problem was in the Game chips.

Bunker take a look at one of your MPUs and take note of the little green wires that IGT did for a mod on all boards. Look at the reel driver for #4 reel, the green wire is soldered in a different  place than the other four.

Nice post Buzz good to know for future reference.

Congrats on #2000 BTW

Tim
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 11:41:53 AM »

Great post of your digging around Buzz!   applause yes
I'm nowhere near my S2000 at the moment but I WILL look for that wire on it tonight.
Even though I thoroughly believe it was because I plugged the bonus reel into the older reel driver board,
I wonder if that mod green wire was a possible cause of that chip getting blown up on my MPU?

I'll post later this evening whether or not my blown MPU has that wire...
I'm hoping when my "junk" MPU's come in - I can use the parts from them to repair this one!

and congratulations on your 2000th post!  Dancing Party

Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 03:02:12 PM »

How many Ram Clears did you try?

Jim  No I didn't do any clears on the machine, I promiced you I would lighten up on the clears. Besides I had already cleared it when I got it.

The one thing I didn't do that I should have tried was just reseating the old chips. Not that it means a whole lot, but I did read the old chips in the programmer (burner) and the check sums were OK. I did change the game chips from SG000155 to SG000363   and did that without reading a PSR, guess I'll get my pee pee slapped for that one.

Jim  I've come to the conclusion that there is no way that I can convince the general membership that with the exception of a few speciality games, any set of SG chips will work in any S 2000 game.  If it isn't listed on the PSR their not going to use them. What is the absolute worse thing that can happen if by chance you install the wrong game chips, the game won't work. Trust me it's not true if you use the wrong game chips, the candle isn't loaded with jet fuel and it will not go rocketing off you machine and flying around your game room or shop. ain't gonna happen.

Bunker I highly doubt that IGT's mod blew your chip (kind of think bunker did that one) I just thought it interresting that IGT did a mod to 5 reel drivers and one of them was did differently.

Tim 2000 post what does that tell ya I have to much time on my hands and I talk to much.  Thanks

reho33
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 146

Slot Losers of America / Tokie Owens

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 03:41:44 PM »

Well my newer S2000 MPU does not have the green wires and the other one that I have that is about 10 years old DOES WTF(?)

** NOTE: The information contained in any of my posts relating to slot machine ownership and use is information that I have gathered from publicly known sources correspondingly under the same protections of Free Speech governed under the Laws of the United States and Canada and is for informational use only. As is my Constitutional Right under United States and Canadian Laws the redistribution of said information is considered a form of free speech. Using this information in the United States or Canada to conduct illegal gambling in states/provinces where it is unlawful has been declared against the law in those states/jurisdictions and as such I do not advocate the illegal use of such information under both the United States and Canadian Laws. All references and examples of personal experiences are hypothetical in nature, and it is up to you to determine if the information presented is applicable to your situation or not**
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 06:23:59 PM »

The serial numbers on the MPU might give a clue as to whether or not your "older" MPU is really...uh...older?

Now I REALLY want to check mine!!!  propeller
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 01:29:31 PM »

Okay...I did some digging around on my blown MPU board... Sherlock Smiley

I had found a hole in the U67 P28AB MM74C240WM chip. (This is not good... rotflmao )
The hole appeared after I incorrectly plugged in a bonus reel harness Molex into a plain back lit reel controller board. (wrong move... Duh! )

The 1st picture is what the U67 chip "should" look like.
The 2nd picture is what it looks like when pulling a dumbazz move...  bust gut laughing
Needless to say - the board is dead and I'm just waiting on a new chip from mouser to get it going again.
Please click on photos to enlarge to see the details>>>

* S2000 502 MPU U67 chip.jpg (199.81 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 358 times.)

* S2000 502 MPU blown U67 chip.jpg (160.05 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 422 times.)
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 01:35:49 PM »

This same 502 MPU board has the 5 green wire reel driver mods done to it talked about earlier.
Not until I replace the U67 chip will I know whether or not there was a mistake done with this mod.
Look closely at the 4th reel driver green wire placement.

Apparently the D723 chip (4th reel) is the only one where the green jumper is placed to the left side leg.
I've outlined it with a green rectangular box.
The others all have the green jumper wires on the right-hand side of their respective reel drivers?

The 2nd photo is the ID labeling of this board with the encrypted manufacturing date...?
It does look like "502" MPU boards are going on about 14 years old now!!!
Click photo to enlarge>>>>

* S2000 502 MPU green wire 4th reel mod mistake.jpg (199.35 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 353 times.)

* S2000 502 MPU ID numbers.jpg (146.72 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 335 times.)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 01:44:07 PM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
blueridgeslots
703 730-0821
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1262

703 730-0821

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 01:59:15 PM »

The 2nd photo is the ID labeling of this board with the encrypted manufacturing date...?
It does look like "502" MPU boards are going on about 14 years old now!!!

I don't think so! the first 960 processor games were not manufactured until 1997 and they had 501's in them, I believe the first 502's were not until late 99 early 2000 with the different wiring configuration

Selling Quality Tested and Guaranteed Slot Parts and Machines at Wholesale

http://stores.ebay.com/BLUE-RIDGE-SLOT-SERVICE
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 02:35:54 PM »

I'm a little confused then.
The i960 Intel microprocessor has a date of 1985 & 1989 on it.
The 502 MPU circuit board ASSY# is dated "1997" but,  has a revised label which has 3 numbers that change:

In the 1st picture below, the MPU board has a "250" after the "Date:"
In the 2nd picture, my spare MPU board has a "314".
Does anyone know how to decipher these 3 numbers?  Scratch Head 3
Click on photos to enlarge>>>

* S2000 502 MPU ID numbers1997 and 250.jpg (147.59 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 339 times.)

* S2000 502 MPU Super Stepper Controller board dated 1997.jpg (138.89 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 385 times.)
FORDSBS
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 363

PET

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 03:03:21 PM »

Bunker, it seems your into these little chips on the board. Do you know if there is one of those that is for printer & if
so what spot is it in?
Thanks, Ford
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 04:32:10 PM »

On an S2000, The printer harness is routed to the J14 ( Netplex Printer) 10-pin header on the motherboard.
One would NEED a very clear, readable set of board schematics to see where it goes onto the MPU from there.
My schematics are the worse sheets you can look at.
Even when I enlarge them - I still cannot read them.
What specifically is wrong with your printer?
Are you getting power to it.
Is the light on?
You might want to start a new thread for your printer as this one is really about S2000 reel problems?
Click to enlarge photo...>>>

* Netplex Printer motherboard J14 header.png (12.45 KB, 398x272 - viewed 474 times.)
FORDSBS
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 363

PET

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 04:42:29 PM »

Thanks Bunker. I got it working the other day. Problem was on MPU. Thought if there was a chip on there I could check it.
I'll back out & let you get back to your problem
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 04:55:12 PM »

I'm a little confused then.
The i960 Intel microprocessor has a date of 1985 & 1989 on it.
The 502 MPU circuit board ASSY# is dated "1997" but,  has a revised label which has 3 numbers that change:

In the 1st picture below, the MPU board has a "250" after the "Date:"
In the 2nd picture, my spare MPU board has a "314".
Does anyone know how to decipher these 3 numbers?  Scratch Head 3
Click on photos to enlarge>>>

Bunker,

The 1997 date on the PCB is the copyright date for the design for the PCB, not the manufacturing date. Most times if there is a mfgr date it is tiny and on the solder side not the component side. Although I have never checked it out on IGT boards, and it varies from PCB maker. I will have to look when I get a chance.

CH CaptainHappy

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 05:26:21 PM »

Thanks for your answer Capt!  applause
I think I know why these MPU boards were "revised"....
They forgot to put traces on the circuits boards so they had to solder little green wires... rotflmao
Amazing little engineering mistake huh? Duh!
I outlined in red where these needed traces could have perhaps been placed?...but I'm NOT a board designer so.....
I wonder how many boards IGT had to recall and who's idea it was to make this little fix?

Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 06:20:03 PM »

I wonder how many boards IGT had to recall and who's idea it was to make this little fix?

Mark  The simple asn. is ALL of them.  I've never seen a 502 or 504 board without the green wires !!  I would post a pic. of all the bad and spare boards I have but I don't have a wide angle lens. Every one of them has the mod. Look on the bottom side of the board and you will find a mod there also, they just changed colors of the wires.

Now on what we have been calling the enhanced board 75512701 no green wires present.

* PICT0425.JPG (1665.23 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 336 times.)

CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 07:56:35 PM »

Thanks for your answer Capt!  applause
I think I know why these MPU boards were "revised"....
They forgot to put traces on the circuits boards so they had to solder little green wires... rotflmao
Amazing little engineering mistake huh? Duh!
I outlined in red where these needed traces could have perhaps been placed?...but I'm NOT a board designer so.....

Mark,

I doubt that the boards were ever recalled, especially not by IGT! Silly Me! Cry Laughing Most likely that was an error in their design that was discovered late in the process, and they may have already buit tons of the PCB's. When I used to build our own Single Board Computers and Motherboards we used to do a small prototype run of boards, and then we would do a larger production run with any needed corrections. Luckily I had really good designers, so most times we did not have to make changes. I would build a large run of PCBs (more cost effective) as that was the longest lead time item, and then send smaller batches to the assembly house for production as needed. Maybe IGT built a large number (like say 10,000) PCBs at one time and then had to do mods on them during the board assembly process.

On your picture it looked like the wire was going to surface mount capacitors, but I could not zoom in with enough detail to confirm. These items are polarized negative and positive so the one that is different than the four others would have it connected to negative vs positive of the other way around as I can't tell the component or polarity from your picture. BUT, if my thoughts are correct it is possible that you would not see this problem until the circuit for 4 and 5 reel setups is used as in your case when you connected the harness that uses 4 and 5 reels. stir the pot / get cooking

Have you been able to compare these wires on another board yet to see if that one is incorrectly installed? Scratch Head

Just some thoughts... I hope that I made sense. I can try to look at a board later to compare if you need.

CH CaptainHappy

CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 07:59:53 PM »

Mark,

I had been looking at your previous picture, and just noticed your newer picture you drew on has more definition, and those probable are not CAPS as I originally thought, so my previous post may be wrong... Will take some research later, gotta work now!

CH CaptainHappy
T.O.M.

Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 10:02:51 PM »

Bunker  Let me interrupt for just this one post.

Back to the reel tilts. I went back to the original machine and reinstalled the SG000155 that I had removed, just in case all they just needed to be reseated. It didn't help still getting reel tilt.  Went back to the SB000363 and everything is OK

Now I have another machine doing the same thing, I have installed 3 different sets of SG000155 and one set of SG000129 still was getting reel tilt until it got a set of SG000363.  These machines are nothing special, first one is a 5 Times Pay and the other one is 5 Stars, just run of the mill 3 reel one line machines. Now keep this in mind I have about 20 more of these machines from the same litter that have SG000155 and they are working great. Yes I know the solution would be to change all of them to SG000363, but with the price of 8 Meg. chips close to 6 bucks each I'm reluctant to replace 40 working chips !! ( I must be part Jewish and no one told me)

OK Bunker you can have the thread BACK.   yes yes stir the pot / get cooking stir the pot / get cooking  Crazy

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2011, 01:24:05 AM »

No that's okay Buzz...we all learn something new with your post!

I checked all 3 S2000 MPU's I have (yea! 3 !!)
They all have that 4th reel driver with the green wire on the left side of the SMD "cap".
So that must be the way the mod is done.

I also have that little yellow resistor on the back of all the boards like Buzz showed.
They are pretty much all similar but we still don't know how IGT dates the boards.
I have a "250"/a "314"/ and a "305".
All 3 boards have the same P/N and Code#.
The only differences are the Dates and Serial #'s
and that fact that one has an exploded U67 chip... rotflmao
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2011, 03:55:12 AM »

Mark,

I had been looking at your previous picture, and just noticed your newer picture you drew on has more definition, and those probable are not CAPS as I originally thought, so my previous post may be wrong... Will take some research later, gotta work now!

CH CaptainHappy
T.O.M.

Bunker,

After I saw the clearer photo, I recognized the logo on that chip earlier, but did not have time to look further as if I have work, I am lucky and it gets priority! yes propeller yes

As I thought, that part is not a SMT cap as I originally thought from your first picture, it is actually a "PLASTIC SURFACE MOUNT ZENER VOLTAGE REGULATOR DIODE" 1SMB5927BT3 to be exact!!! Data Sheet Attached for the fun of it! Duh! frying pan

We used some ON-SEMI parts on some of our computer board designs in the past.

CH CaptainHappy

* ON SEMICONDUCTOR Zener Data Sheet 1SMB5913BT3-D.pdf (72.18 KB - downloaded 164 times.)

Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 233

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2011, 05:31:09 AM »

Ahh, the power of updated and/or latest and greatest chips and firmware.  I still think that my Triple Double Wild Cherry scenario (see a few pages back) has to do with updated chips.  At the time, IGT had a technical bulletin that was released concerning a reel lighting problem when the original SB chip was used.  This chip had all of the cool sounds of the DSV42 chip unlocked.  So what does IGT do?  They release an updated SB chip to cure the lighting problem, but screwed up the sounds and only the legacy sounds were available...which blows.  Who knows what the MPU or SG versions were at that time.  

Anyway, so Rob and I test our machines with 363's and the old problematic SB chips, and low and behold everything works just fine.  No need for the updated crappy chip.  I'm sure there was pushback on IGT to fix the lighting problem somewhere else and ensure that ALL of the DSV42 sounds available whether that be an MPU update, SG chip, etc, who knows.

Remember friends, anything can be fixed in software/firmware.  Wink

Jason

Yoeddy's IGT Slot Machine Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/Yoeddy1
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2011, 02:46:55 AM »

Ah! Excellent, EXCELLENT posts gentlemen!  applause Clap
I do really appreciate the thought put into those ones.
It takes an amazing amount of research to make posts like that... yes Hail
Those are the ones where we all learn from each other!  propeller

ADD>>> I saved the data sheet Capt!
I will take a good look at it very soon! Thanks!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.