Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 12:16:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  S+ Head Scratcher!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: S+ Head Scratcher!  (Read 15043 times)
sblair
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 3

« on: June 11, 2011, 01:53:59 AM »

I bought an S+ the other day that the owner said wasn't working properly, said it wasn't taking coins.  We powered it up there for a minute before we left.  The machine powered up.  The wheels were twitching a bit and the display had a flicker to it I believe it was showing a 41 error.  I didn't try anything else there.

I got it home, before powering it up again I noticed a lot of nickels back around the xfrmr and floating around the back.  I fished them all out.  Pulled the MPU and visually checked behind it.  Put the MPU back in and powered it up.  Nothing.  Just the Fluoros.  No other sounds, lamps, or reels.  Just appears dead.

I pulled the MPU board to put it in my other working S+ and noticed the battery had one leg completely loose.  I soldered it back.  Put it in my working S+ and had to clear the 61 error.  After that it came up and worked fine in my good S+ machine.  So I know the MPU and it's xfrmr is good.

I put it back in the original S+ and it's still completely dead.  I metered the xfrmr and at the connector going to the backplane and all the taps have the right voltages.  I've reseated all the connectors in the machine, still no dice. 

I'm scratching my head at this point.  Is it likely there could be a problem with the back plane card?  I know the MPU is good since it works in my other machine.

Anything you guys could suggest at this point would be great!.

Thanks.
Scott
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 02:04:08 AM »

Pay the electric bill... Crazy

Check the 3 fuses?
Top=8A
Middle=6A
Bottom=8A

all quick blows
sblair

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 02:09:54 AM »

First thing I did was check the fuses.  I measured the xfrmr voltages at the connector that plugs into the backplane card too, which are after they have gone through the fuse....just in case there there was a problem with the fuseholder itself.

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 02:37:22 AM »

Hmm...try wiggling the harness that goes from the "x4mer" to the motherboard?
When you wiggle it with the power on...the reels should "hold"
sblair

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 02:42:40 AM »

Yeah, I tried doing that too....  no love Sad

Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 03:41:45 AM »

I'm still trying to figure out what a xfrmr and a x4mer are ?  Is that a new way of saying power supply?

I got it home, before powering it up again I noticed a lot of nickels back around the xfrmr and floating around the back.  I fished them all out.  Pulled the MPU and visually checked behind it.  Put the MPU back in and powered it up.  Nothing.  Just the Fluoros.  No other sounds, lamps, or reels.  Just appears dead.

Anything you guys could suggest at this point would be great!.

Thanks.
Scott
You fished out the nickels and looked behind the MPU, I think you had better look under the Mother Board  for coins.

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
sblair

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 03:46:55 AM »

xfmr is a standard abbreviation for transformer.

A transformer is a component of a power supply, but typically is not the entirety of the power supply.

knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 04:27:40 AM »

As Buzz said, I'd check under the motherboard (the fixed board that sits on the bottom of the cabinet which the removable MPU board plugs into) for any stray coins or metal pieces, and then look closely at the connector that goes from the power supply to the motherboard.  Look on the outside and inside of the plug for signs of burning or obvious discoloration.

Based on what you've described, the power connection harness is a likely suspect.  With the power off, be sure to check all of the other connectors, too, to make sure they're seated correctly.  I'd suggest plugging and unplugging the harness that runs between the power supply and the motherboard a few times to help clean the contacts and insure that the power is getting to the motherboard.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 11:23:30 AM »

xfmr is a standard abbreviation for transformer.

A transformer is a component of a power supply, but typically is not the entirety of the power supply.

I think Buzz was just being facetious. There are some 'standard' terms used here, and things sometimes get confusing when people start using other names. For example, 'backplane' is often used as the term for a board that others plug into. But here it's called a motherboard. And since the S+ power supply only has a transformer (i.e. no diodes, regulators, et.) it's just referred to as 'power supply'.
slot monkey
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 402

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 09:40:51 PM »

poppo, thanks for the explanation.

If Buzz had not asked it, I'm sure that I would have.
sblair

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 10:34:56 PM »

I have picked up on others here calling the backplane the "motherboard" which is completely bizarre to me.  Is that IGT's official term for it?  A motherboard is typicallly the main board in a device.  It defies comprehension that the: backplane, transition board, medusa card, whatever term you choose is actually being called a motherboard here.  I'd love to hear the logic for that.

There is a DC power supply in an S+, it is just integrated on the mainboard and not a seperate module.  Checking the power supply to me would still involve metering the DC voltage rails on the MPU board.

poppo

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 10:59:57 PM »

I have picked up on others here calling the backplane the "motherboard" which is completely bizarre to me.  Is that IGT's official term for it?  A motherboard is typicallly the main board in a device.  It defies comprehension that the: backplane, transition board, medusa card, whatever term you choose is actually being called a motherboard here.  I'd love to hear the logic for that.

It is the official name used by IGT.  The 'main board' is the MPU.

And the term is technically correct because all other 'daughter' items plug into it.

Right from the IGT manual.

* mb1.jpg (126.23 KB, 813x622 - viewed 295 times.)

* mb2.jpg (75.39 KB, 874x482 - viewed 315 times.)
sblair

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 11:08:10 PM »

Thanks Poppo.  I was guessing it must have been an unfortunate mis-naming by IGT for it to have persisted here.  It also drive me nuts that they use the wrong form of "Embedded" for the Bill Acceptor.  It is an "Embedded Bill Acceptor", not an "Imbedded Bill Acceptor".

Either there was very poor communication between the Engineers and Technical Writers at IGTor they had some folks that were just fairly ignorant in their product design experience.  Having been an EE and Software Engineer designing products and systems for many years, abuse of terminology drives me nuts.

Oh well, back to scratching my head over this S+.   Scratch Head

poppo

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 11:26:46 PM »

Oh well, back to scratching my head over this S+.   Scratch Head

I think you were given some good advice earlier. First check the power cable from the power supply to the motherboard. If it's not making good contact, then the whole power distribution is going to be screwed up. If a coin got under the motherboard, it may have burned up a power trace or just shorting something that will prevent the MPU from booting.

Also re-seat every connector on the motherboard.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 11:37:19 PM by poppo » Logged
sblair

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 11:30:37 PM »

I have gone through and reseated all the connectors to the "motherboard" Wink 

The next thing is to pull the motherboard out and check it.  It has foam gasketing around the bottom that makes it appear like a pretty tight fit, but it is the next most logical issue.  I had planned to try and swap with my good S+ to verify it.  The bad machine has the motherboard MPU on the left and the good S+ has it in the back behind the hopper, so it is more of a pain to swap.

I agree I was a little suspicious of the power connector.  It appears fine and I've reseated it and wiggled it, but I know those contacts can be problematic.  I planned to check it again by metering the underside of the motherboard with it plugged in after pulling it out.

cowboygames
Abbys Dad

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 12:30:47 AM »

Thanks Poppo.  I was guessing it must have been an unfortunate mis-naming by IGT for it to have persisted here.  It also drive me nuts that they use the wrong form of "Embedded" for the Bill Acceptor.  It is an "Embedded Bill Acceptor", not an "Imbedded Bill Acceptor".

Either there was very poor communication between the Engineers and Technical Writers at IGTor they had some folks that were just fairly ignorant in their product design experience.  Having been an EE and Software Engineer designing products and systems for many years, abuse of terminology drives me nuts.

Oh well, back to scratching my head over this S+.   Scratch Head

they mean exactly the same thing, what's the big deal?
poppo

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 12:42:17 AM »

After doing some googling, it seems embedded is the more popular term. But I agree, they are synonyms.
sblair

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 01:09:25 AM »

Having done EMBEDDED systems design for many years.  I see the word "embedded" frequently used in many different contexts by many manufacturers and authors.  I have never ever once seen anyone spell it as "imbedded."  Frankly it makes someone at IGT look fairly ignorant and as an Engineer that has to pay attention to details for a living it bugs the f--k out of me seeing it Smiley

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1440571

poppo

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 01:22:03 AM »

I have never ever once seen anyone spell it as "imbedded." 

But you just did above.  rotflmao

Frankly it makes someone at IGT look fairly ignorant and as an Engineer that has to pay attention to details for a living it bugs the f--k out of me seeing it

No offense, but thrashing IGT and the terms they have been using for decades is not going to help get your machine fixed. People are here to help with the problem, and not be the grammar police.
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 01:26:21 AM »

Alright, on the ground and spread'em mister  police    bust gut laughing
sblair

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2011, 03:22:28 AM »

I pulled the "motherboard" out tonight and I'm pretty sure I see the problem now!  The trace coming off J8 pin 1+2 is burned off.  I'm wondering what caused that.  The MPU board seems to run fine in my other S+ so nothing appears to be fried that would have caused this. 

The schematics I have are a fairly poor scan.  Are pins 1 and 2 on J8 supposed to be bussed together on the PCB?  When I measure the burned trace it goes to both Pin 1 and 2.  This could be possible since those are both Common terminals for the 2 sets of windings.

Anyone see this happen before?

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2011, 03:26:39 AM »

What happened is something inside the machine fell onto nearby contacts for more than a
momentary moment and shorted out...sparks flew and forced the
piece of metal elsewhere in the machine.
This, of course, ....is  PURE SPECULATION on my part.... Tongue Out

uh...IGT does nothing "logical".... rotflmao Cry Laughing

For example...sometimes they label a 2 coin machine chip with a number like SB100053.
However, the 3 coin machine chip will have a label with a number like SB100052!!!!!  arrow
Confuses the heck outta people! lol
poppo

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2011, 03:28:18 AM »

Are pins 1 and 2 on J8 supposed to be bussed together on the PCB?  

Yes.

Damage was probably from a coin floating around at some point. Since that connector is in the front, even with the foam, it would be easy to have one slide under and hit the contacts.

Or you could have a short somewhere else since the motherboard distributes power to other things besides the MPU
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 03:34:30 AM by poppo » Logged
sblair

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2011, 03:31:37 AM »

At least we agree IGT is not logical Wink

Your speculation is very probable, but I'm not seeing anything it could have shorted to is the thing.  There was the clear plastic shield on top that covers most of it and I can't see where any other shorting could have occurred. 

Looking closer at the solder side of the PCB I can see where pins 1/2 are bussed together so that answers that question.  My eyes aren't what they used to be.

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2011, 03:37:35 AM »

..but I'm not seeing anything it could have shorted to is the thing....  

That's because it's in somebody's pocket now as change... Tongue Out

Anyways, 24Vac at 6A rating runs through the J8...should NOT be "fused" together!!! lol
Unless you meant buss fused?
By the way guys "IGT does use "xfmer" in their schematics!  ( okay, "PWR XFMER"rotflmao )
Maybe this will help you? >>>

* J8 schematic.png (10.52 KB, 609x250 - viewed 325 times.)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 03:44:31 AM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.