Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 08:19:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  S PLUS BILL VALIDATOR DEAD
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: S PLUS BILL VALIDATOR DEAD  (Read 30189 times)
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 192

Insert Coin

« on: August 12, 2011, 04:02:50 AM »

I realize this topic is all over the forum but I can't seem to get the information I need after going through seemingly countless threads on the same or similar subject! Sorry if this may be a repeat question.
I have an IGT S plus slant top (I have read the DBV is the same as an upright) with a JCM DBV-45. The previous owner said it was working when he removed it (didn't want it in machine when he owned it). I reinstalled everything, and connected all the wires. Everything seemed quite obvious and I also was able to see pictures of a similar looking setup on a slant top, previously posted - recently.
I am getting no life signs whatsoever. My first question is - If the DBV package was removed, does the machine by default, disable it? Or do I need to re-enable it? I pressed the self test button until I saw the 9, and there was a 0 in the credit window. When that 0 is present, is the power to the DVB power supply cut off? Or is it just being sent a signal to the unit to not power up? Either way, I'd like to get this once working validator up and working.
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 06:31:40 AM »

I am getting no life signs whatsoever.

Let's start here. When you power up the machine, the BV should cycle. This is independent of anything as long as the BV unit is geting power. If it's not cycling, it will never work and you need to find out what is wrong.

My first question is - If the DBV package was removed, does the machine by default, disable it?

No. Once enabled, it will stay enabled unless the game was changed (sometimes) or something like a clear chip was used.

I pressed the self test button until I saw the 9, and there was a 0 in the credit window. When that 0 is present, is the power to the DVB power supply cut off?

What you see in self test has nothing to do whether or not the BV has power. You can enable a BV even if it's not present.

However, are you sure you were looking at the right setting? Typically you need to use the jackpot key to cycle through the page <0> settings to get to the BV setting. What you are looking for is a 0 on the coins played and a 9_0 or 9_1 in the coins paid window.  If you are pressing the self test button until you have a 9 in the coins played, then you are looking at the wrong thing.

But we need to first go back to the getting the BV to cycle when powered up. You should have a small black power supply like this one (it may or may not have slots in it since you have a 145 head). Make sure it it plugged in to the main power supply.

Pictures of your setup will help.

* DBV power supply.jpg (280.15 KB, 800x600 - viewed 404 times.)
Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS

Total Karma Storms: 288

513-984-2201

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 01:24:22 PM »

does the machine work now? reason I ask---if its working then we can assume all the fuses and power is good. lets not worry about the bill acceptor being enabled. as soon as power is applied the unit should cycle. even if the cash can is removed, it should cycle.
there are 4 connections you should have made. there are four assemblies you should have, the head and transport assembly, the asseblly that the head and transport rest on and also support the cash can, and of course the  cash can itself  and the power supply assembly.
the power supply has two connections, one goes to the 145 head front connector, the other attaches to the harness in the machine, this harness is a 9 pin connector(I think this is from memory) two of the larger wires on this connector go to the 115 vac to provide power to the power supply, the other four wires go to J-6 on the motherboard , these are communication and other signal lines. one connection is to the back connector on the 145 head this is for the bezel lamp control, the other connection is the four pin connector that goes into the head and transport unit, this is the cash can optics, the last connection is from the right side of the 145 head to the transport unit itself.
if all these are present and no activity then you have to establish that you are getting 115 ac to the power supply, if so, are you getting 12vdc out of the power supply, if so (wiggle that 12 connector on the 145 head sometimes intermittent)  if all that is good  then I would suspect the head/ transport unit.
did you check and see if there was a bill stuck in the transport unit?

Jim

MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma.
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 07:32:26 PM »

Poppo: The BV does not cycle when power is turned on. I was testing wrong, using the reset key. I can try it the other way and see what happens. Jim: The machine does work and I think everything's connected. The previous owner told me he simply removed the working BV set and put it in a box for storage. I'll post pictures now and I'll pull the BV back out and check for anything stuck... I did make sure all the connectors were seated properly and making good contact.

* IMG_1281.JPG (1179.26 KB, 2043x2786 - viewed 313 times.)

* IMG_1283.jpg (854.83 KB, 3072x2048 - viewed 341 times.)
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 07:34:25 PM »

BV and main power supply

* IMG_1286.jpg (251.6 KB, 1536x1038 - viewed 317 times.)

* IMG_1287.jpg (1008.16 KB, 3072x2048 - viewed 362 times.)
poppo

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 07:42:29 PM »

On the right side of the BV head, there should be a cable connecting the head to the transport. If that cable is missing or not seated, it won't do anything.

Also there should be a small red LED on the BV head board between those two connectors on the left side of the BV head. Is it lit up? Unless that cable below is missing, you probably need a meter to see if your BV power supply is working.

* bv.jpg (254.54 KB, 558x662 - viewed 322 times.)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 07:53:41 PM by poppo » Logged
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 07:53:24 PM »

Can I pull that thing out w/o unscrewing the case out? I do see the cable, can't see a red light
poppo

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 07:57:39 PM »

Can I pull that thing out w/o unscrewing the case out?

I'm not sure how a slant top is mounted. But typically the head and transport come out pretty easy with just a lever on the left side and a couple of thumbscrews in the front .
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 07:58:44 PM »

i see it...i'll be back
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 08:22:45 PM »

I removed the thumbscrews, and pulled the lever and it's out. The cable was connected and the other cable is present.
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 08:25:17 PM »

It's DBV 145-SS Version 3. 11-11
DRM 2-00 NEW VERSION

Just noticed this...two wires appear to have pulled off their connections? Are these important?!! Looks like weak solder joint or maybe they were yanked out before.

* IMG_1289.jpg (177.18 KB, 1536x1038 - viewed 325 times.)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 08:40:18 PM by shortrackskater » Logged
poppo

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 08:31:31 PM »

Well, if everthing is connected properly, then you probably need to start checking voltages unless you have access to spare parts. The BV power supply would be suspect. You can always open it up and look and see if it looks toasted. I think there is a fuse inside of it.
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 08:47:27 PM »

I just modified my last post and added a picture...let me know.
poppo

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 08:51:57 PM »

Just noticed this...two wires appear to have pulled off their connections? Are these important?!! Looks like weak solder joint or maybe they were yanked out before.

Yep, I would say they are probably important. Hard to tell from your picture what they are from.
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 09:30:58 PM »

Here's a cropped, zoomed version of the same. It's the top two wires from the backside of the face. One wire says 5. I'm not with the machine right now but I'll be back later and can look closer.

* IMG_1289.jpg (91.15 KB, 954x626 - viewed 282 times.)
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 09:42:10 PM »

We really need a wider shot of what that is.  Is that just the bezel (where it says "Insert Bills $1 to $100" (or similiar) on the other side of what you're showing us)?  If so, that's likely not the reason your validator isn't getting power.  The area to focus on right now is the connection between the power supply and the validator, and also if you can you'll want to test the voltage coming out of the power supply to make sure it is providing power.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 09:53:19 PM »

Yes that's the backside of the bezel  - I'm headed back home and I can shoot a wider picture if you still need it.

Here's the entire unit -  with broken wires at far right side.

* IMG_1292.jpg (763.83 KB, 2639x1784 - viewed 329 times.)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 10:21:10 PM by shortrackskater » Logged
poppo

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 10:24:08 PM »

We really need a wider shot of what that is.  Is that just the bezel (where it says "Insert Bills $1 to $100" (or similiar) on the other side of what you're showing us)?  If so, that's likely not the reason your validator isn't getting power. 

I wonder if they shorted out on something and possibly fried the BV head or something.
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 10:27:31 PM »

I don't see any sign of frying...they look like they were weak solder joints. I've removed the bezel and I see where each wire goes. The other side of the wires lead to a two pin connector that's on a small circuit board (with three resistors and a diode) Should I just solder them back in while I have it apart? I still think you may be right and there's an issue with the power supply.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 10:35:57 PM by shortrackskater » Logged
poppo

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 10:53:38 PM »

If you are sure which wire goes to which point, I would go ahead and fix them.
proten

Total Karma Storms: 210

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 11:16:39 PM »

I would check the large cap in the power supply
for a bad solder joint. I had one doing strange things
and that was the problem.

Here is Roberts findings.

http://www.myslotnotes.com/Work%20PDF/result0379.pdf

Paul

One step at a time.
poppo

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 11:19:49 PM »

Note that that document also shows the fuse that is in there. Check to see if it has blown.
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2011, 01:47:03 AM »

Okay I just soldered in the two wires, powered up and got lights...green lights on the "INSERT BILL" area. These wires simply supply to the lights and are independent of the power supply since, when I pulled it out, the lights stayed on! I've taken out the little power supply and will open it up and check things.

Visually, the power supply looks okay. That cap is cleanly soldered in. The fuse is good. I think the power supply isn't getting power or it's not putting out power. Now I just need to know where to look for voltages. I assume it's DV in and out?

I also tried to check settings with the reset key switch, just to rule as much out as possible. I get to a 0 in the coins played window but just get 8888 in both winner paid and credits windows. I think there's no power to the DBV.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 02:45:52 AM by shortrackskater » Logged
proten

Total Karma Storms: 210

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2011, 02:48:31 AM »

If you look at the bottom of the link
you will see the out put voltage and
the pin orientation.

One step at a time.
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2011, 03:01:56 AM »

Do you know the voltage from the output connector; the one that goes directly to the BV? Or, the input voltage to the power supply from the 9 pin connector? It might be easier to check that way.

I was able to take it apart, and power it up...no output voltage. I don't think the power supply is getting voltage but I'd still like to check.
Thank you for all the help so far!!!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 03:07:27 AM by shortrackskater » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.