Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 08:24:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  Help finding the right chip
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help finding the right chip  (Read 74367 times)
Mirage_Chaser
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 7

« Reply #150 on: September 21, 2011, 04:43:07 PM »

Yeah I figured it was just a ram error.

I did try the jumper in both position just in case and still no go. I am looking for a different MPU now.

I want to win by winning... (J. Lemos)
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #151 on: September 21, 2011, 04:45:57 PM »

I am looking for a different MPU now.

If that doesn't work, you may try putting the MPU in a different machine and see it it will boot with the set. Might have a bad EEPROM on the motherboard.  I think we already metioned that.
Mirage_Chaser

« Reply #152 on: September 21, 2011, 05:14:08 PM »

Well clearing the ram didn't work... the 45 wont clear and I am hesitant to try the set 5 in a different game or in a new board for fear of doing damage. I will have to try a different mpu and see if the 45 goes away or if it is somehow caused by a flaw in the backplane.

Mirage_Chaser

« Reply #153 on: September 21, 2011, 06:37:00 PM »

Does anyone know if the set chip procedure is different on a s verse s+?

poppo

« Reply #154 on: September 21, 2011, 06:47:31 PM »

Does anyone know if the set chip procedure is different on a s verse s+?

Do you mean a S MPU or just that you are using a S chip? Because when you use a set chip in a S+ MPU, it doesn't even know what game you are using. Using the wrong set chip may result in the game not working right, but the MPU should always boot with the set chip.
Mirage_Chaser

« Reply #155 on: September 21, 2011, 07:01:44 PM »

The board that I am using doesn't react to the new set 5 or my set 15. I got a different board same assembly number and it also doesn't react to the set chips. I know that the 15 works because I tried it in a different machine.

poppo

« Reply #156 on: September 21, 2011, 07:16:39 PM »

The board that I am using doesn't react to the new set 5 or my set 15. I got a different board same assembly number and it also doesn't react to the set chips. I know that the 15 works because I tried it in a different machine.

That is why you need to try those MPUs in another machine with the set chip. If the EEPROM on the motherboard is bad, it won't boot. Don't you have a spare machine somewhere?
Mirage_Chaser

« Reply #157 on: September 21, 2011, 07:40:22 PM »

I tried them in our test rig

Check it out

* IMG_1127.JPG (2032.91 KB, 1936x2592 - viewed 361 times.)

poppo

« Reply #158 on: September 21, 2011, 08:12:42 PM »

I tried them in our test rig

Check it out

And they worked? If so, pull the EEPROM off the motherboard board of the tester and see what happens. I see it's in a socket.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #159 on: September 21, 2011, 10:26:39 PM »

a suggestion...
I am not sure what kind of paper work you need to fill out to perform a Clear?
I'd Clear the MPU with a Clear chip and start all over with a SET chip.
The SET chips may not work if there's credits on the machine...
I could be wrong because no one in their right mind
would put RS chips in an S+ MPU to begin with...

Also, why aren't there any lights on in the display panel on your stepper tester?
Let's see a photo with the power switch on please?
It helps no one to see a machine with the power off!!!
If you don't want it - I'll Paypal ya a $100 bucks for it!

« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 11:04:04 PM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
poppo

« Reply #160 on: September 21, 2011, 10:29:46 PM »

a suggestion...
I am not sure what kind of paper work you need to fill out to perform a Clear?
I'd Clear the MPU with a Clear chip and start all over with a SET chip.
The SET chips may not work if there's credits on the machine...

Anyone with thoughts on this?

I agree. The motherboard and MPU have already been replaced, so any accounting info stored is already lost. If the clear fails then it would really indicate that the EEPROM is bad (which would stop a set chip from booting).

Credits are automatically cleared when a set chip is used. Self test settings need them cleared though.
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #161 on: September 22, 2011, 07:32:14 AM »

For what it's worth, the game didn't appear to boot with the SET15, either, although you know that your SET15 is good.  (Of course, the SET15 didn't result in a Reel 5 Tilt, either.)

The standard clear procedure for a reel tilt is to open and close the door -- am I safe in assuming that you've done that without any success?  (I realize that there isn't a 5th reel and it shouldn't be kicking that error, period.)

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #162 on: September 22, 2011, 10:18:57 AM »

Also, why aren't there any lights on in the display panel on your stepper tester?
Let's see a photo with the power switch on please?
It helps no one to see a machine with the power off!!!
If you don't want it - I'll Paypal ya a $100 bucks for it!

With no game chip, reel chip or battery on the MPU, one must wonder if the tester will light up ???

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
Mirage_Chaser

« Reply #163 on: September 22, 2011, 11:14:32 AM »

First off the 45 was a bent pin... sorry my mistake, as soon as that was fixed bye bye went the 45. The game is now as it was when this started (working with coin only and stealing any bill that is put in).

I will try a clear chip but keep in mind that the game is working just with coin only.

The picture of the tester has a junk board and not related to what I am doing with this machine.

And no I tried both set chip's 15 and 5 in the test machine and it did nothing. I tried them again with a different MPU with the same assembly number and they both did nothing. And by nothing I mean to say nothing happened on the display and it responded to no inputs.

And as for the rs chip in the s+ board I looked around and found that we have a few (like 3) machines that are in operation with that setup, they all are the same theme so really it's just one type other than the colossus.

poppo

« Reply #164 on: September 22, 2011, 11:52:50 AM »

I will try a clear chip but keep in mind that the game is working just with coin only.

And it still will. Using the clear will only reset the accounting meters and any special options that are enabled with a set chip. I still don't think a set chip is needed for a RS chip since it does not appear that they supported BVs in the code. But in any case the clear will test both the eeprom and cmos. If the clear chip won't boot, then it's time to look at replacing the motherboard again.

Mirage_Chaser

« Reply #165 on: September 22, 2011, 12:02:49 PM »

And it still will. Using the clear will only reset the accounting meters and any special options that are enabled with a set chip. I still don't think a set chip is needed for a RS chip since it does not appear that they supported BVs in the code. But in any case the clear will test both the eeprom and cmos. If the clear chip won't boot, then it's time to look at replacing the motherboard again.

Wait I missed that how do we know that they don't support BV's in the code? And when you say mother do you mean MPU or backplane? I have heard it both ways.

poppo

« Reply #166 on: September 22, 2011, 12:11:31 PM »

Wait I missed that how do we know that they don't support BV's in the code? And when you say mother do you mean MPU or backplane? I have heard it both ways.

Just assuming that since S machines did not come with BVs (that were not kludged on after the fact) that there was no support for them in the code. A PSR for one would confirm.

Motherboard = what you are calling the backplane. It's what IGT calls it.

* motherboard.jpg (127.31 KB, 1546x839 - viewed 305 times.)
Mirage_Chaser

« Reply #167 on: September 22, 2011, 12:21:09 PM »

Right just clarifying as many people refer to the processor board as the motherboard as in PC. Though I agree I am trying to find out now if there is some modification that needs to be done on the motherboard to make the ba work, the one that is in the machine now came from a machine without a BA.

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #168 on: September 22, 2011, 01:48:46 PM »

Were there any modifications done to the original motherboard that was in the machine?
Also, did this machine ever take bills previously and send them to the credit display?
If it did send credits to the display before, then the problem lies with the way the display receives the credits.

You last options are to follow the wires that lead to the credit display
from the aftermarket gizmo that's installed in that machine.
Check all wires for continuity and clean all the contact/pin points.

Since we know the coin counters are working - there's data signals going out of the BV to the meters.
You need to check the other data wires with a scope to see if any signals are coming out of the BV for the credits.

so...are you selling the unused stepper tester?
Mirage_Chaser

« Reply #169 on: September 22, 2011, 02:43:57 PM »

The machine took bills before and the credits did go to the display. There may have been modifications to the original motherboard I didn't happen to see it before the motherboard and MPU were thrown out. I have written to cashcode to see what they think and hope to have some luck there. Also it turns out that the BA is a vending ba and not a gaming be, that means in the very least it is sending information via a pulse. All the wires seem purpose run and there are no splices or iffy wiring.

Nope not selling and the board in the tester is unused not the tester its self.

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #170 on: September 22, 2011, 03:24:46 PM »

A vending BV in a slot machine?!?!?

How many wires coming out of the Cashcode
and where are they specifically going to?
The display panel or the motherboard or the coin-in optic boards?
Mirage_Chaser

« Reply #171 on: September 22, 2011, 03:44:49 PM »

12 wires come from the ba, half go to j6 2 are power and another is ground also, I still am not sure about the last... I have been looking today. Any ideas what j6 is for?

the cc harness and the optic harness look untouched they seem to run as they should.

Mirage_Chaser

« Reply #172 on: September 22, 2011, 04:25:51 PM »

So to reply to my own post J6 is the bill acceptor harness

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #173 on: September 22, 2011, 04:46:20 PM »

rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao Good job!  applause

Anyways, the S+ J6 Motherboard Header utilizes 6-pin.
I'm not quite certain if your harness has all 6 pins occupied?
Below is the J6 header schematics.
Click on copied photo to enlarge if desired...>>>

* S+ J6 Motherboard Header pinouts.png (14.31 KB, 475x276 - viewed 367 times.)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 04:54:39 PM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
poppo

« Reply #174 on: September 22, 2011, 04:47:08 PM »

I noticed that on one of the earlier posts. But it's possible that the original motherboard was modified to jumper the BV pulses over to the coin in. Too bad you threw away the original board.

OTOH, I don't know for sure what a standard S+ BV sends to the motherboard. It may be 'pulse based' too. Looking at the schematics, the BV input circuit from J6 is identical to the coin in.

So on a S+ you use the set chip to turn the BV on. But yours is already on. And earlier, I posted a part of a PSR that said the denomination can be set in self test on earlier SP chips. So have you tried just going into self test and setting the denomination?

Also, when you go into self test on the RS chip, is there even a 9_0 or 9_1 (BV enable). These are viewable on a SP chip whether the BV is enabled or not (you just can't change it without a set chip). If there is no 9_X setting, then that would be further indicate that the RS chip does not support a BV in the code.

* bv in.jpg (133.91 KB, 748x442 - viewed 306 times.)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.