Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:47:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S2000 and Vision Games.
| | |-+  S2000 Vision Slingo problems
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: S2000 Vision Slingo problems  (Read 9850 times)
smileman83
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 24

« on: November 18, 2013, 10:50:06 AM »

Hi all. A newbie needs some direction and help. I have an S2000 Slingo that I have had for 7-8 years. I have never had any issues other than I had to have the battery replaced about 5 years ago ( sent it off since its a soldered battery). Last week I was playing and the reels went into a general reel tilt. Searching the group, I found the help and opened the door , turned the reset key and closed the door and it rebooted fine. The next day I was playing my new game king and I saw the candle on the s2000 flicker for a moment and it said call attendant and then went back to normal screen. Wasnt playing the Slingo at the time, but thought that as odd. Came home and turned on the machine last night to play and it boots, and then went to the Slingo upper screen and flickered between that screen, and the blue call attendent screen. I hit the rest switch again and nothing. Tried opening the door and closing- no luck.

Opened the door, looked at the motherboard lights and the top amber light is flashing.Error messages say main door open, bill door open (even thought its closed). Closed door and reset and occasionally it will allow a game to start but goes into a general reel tilt and now it goes right to call attendant but the upper screen says Com failure.

I want to learn how to troubleshoot, so I need some direction to help myself and this great group plan a line of attack. after reading everything I can, I assume I should start with door optics, could it be the battery as well? I just need help in giving more info.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bruce
cowboygames
Abbys Dad
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 12:22:40 PM »

First thing I'd look for would be a door optics alignment issue. Make sure they are clean and the door is latched completely. Secondly I'd check to see of the green battery on the MPU is leaking acid. A trace for the door optics runs underneath it and gets damaged when the battery leaks. If that proves to be the problem do a search under green battery and you will vet a litany of info on what to do with it
smileman83
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 12:43:01 PM »

Thanks Cowboy,

I will do those this evening. Again I am a newbie and will search the door optics for pictures etc. I assume when you see the door, there are two small brass colored things , one on the door, and one on the cabinet. Other than alignment, which I did see a post regarding using pencil lines, etc, is the optic visible and does it need to be cleaned with alcohol or something like that or is it a magnetic contact that has to align and simply aligning will be the only issue.

Secondly, removing the MPU- is there a latch or something to disengage before I can remove- I will also search for that.

Bruce
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 02:28:08 PM »

Door optics, if good, should never need more than dusting if even that, it's an LED transmitter/received setup. If your cashbox door is showing open then it is a micro switch on the inside of the door and it can be bypassed by tying the two wires together.

As far as your MPU, you'll need to turn the machine off, remove the coin tray and it will just pull out. Same board as the battery you replaced 5years ago, but this battery is a larger 3 cell and has a green wrap on it. Post pics when you get the board out and we can help you proceed from there if necessary
smileman83
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 02:44:57 PM »

When I open the cashbox door, there are already two wires tied together with taped ends. I have reseated the cashbox and checked the door. It goes through its cycling when I close the door, so I assume it thinks closed.

How about the Com error on the vision screen- that was the last thing I saw late last night before I shut her down.

So remove the hopper I assume, and then pull the mpu out and Ill take some pics.

Thanks again- awesome group of people here
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 05:10:39 PM »

On an S2000 the MPU is mounted to the left hand lower cabinet wall with a handle to pull it out. By coin tray I was referring to the actual tray that hangs on the bottom front of the machine
smileman83
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 12:26:33 AM »

Well, the optics look clear- hard to tell on the alignment but everything looks the same. Now onto the green battery. Attached are two shots and the magnified one definitely shows some leakage. I'll start to research this, but does this mean the board is  fried?

Bruce

* DSC_0714.JPG (573.32 KB, 1383x922 - viewed 262 times.)

* DSC_0712.JPG (247.71 KB, 972x649 - viewed 193 times.)
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 12:42:00 AM »

You'll want to remove that battery and check underneath it for trace damage. The board may be shot, but could well be fixable. Take a full size pic of the board. There's a good chance that battery doesn't need to be there at all.
smileman83
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 12:11:32 PM »

So, remove the board from the metal carrier and desolder the battery or just cut it off the board. I have a full size pic at home. Should I post that before removing battery?

Which method should I use to clean the residual damage or dont clean with anything and just inspect the traces.
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 01:02:17 PM »

Desolder or cut the legs, either way is equally effective. Clean with back in soda and water to neutralize the acid. Look carefully for acid damage. The battery needs to go either way, bit if there's no damage to the traces then your problem lies elsewhere. And yes, post a full size pic of the board so we can determine if the green battery needs to be just gone or replaced with new
smileman83
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 10:38:56 PM »

Here is the full size board pic and a close up of the board with battery desoldered. Do I test the traces with a DMM?

* DSC_0001.JPG (427.19 KB, 1076x666 - viewed 150 times.)

* DSC_0711.JPG (359.28 KB, 922x615 - viewed 193 times.)
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 12:27:44 AM »

Yep, test with the DMM and don't replace the battery, it's not needed on that board. If you find a bad trace the easiest fix is small gauge jumperwire ffrom nearest solder point on each side of the bad spot
smileman83
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 12:36:01 AM »

I can test some of the runs, but some of the traces lead under other components and I cant see where they go. I can use magnification to see where one point of solder is, but then the lead will run under a capicitor or something and not come out so I dont know where the other contact point is.

Do you just put the board back in the game and see if it works at some point?
smileman83
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 12:38:50 AM »

one of the traces runs under L2 and one under J8
Tilt
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 366

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 12:48:51 AM »

From the photo it looks like both traces to the right of the 4 where it's printed U84 may be corroded all the way through, or close to it.  Try repairing that and see what happens.
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 12:58:49 AM »

Good eye tilt, looking more and more like the battery was the problem.
Smileman, if it's the board and it can't be repaired, which does happen, post a WTB in the classifieds. Those 502 boards aren't to expensive. I may even have an extra that would only cost you a $25 donation to the site and an address to send it to
smileman83
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 10:21:18 AM »

Thats exactly where I am looking as well. The one to the farthest right of that number 4 runs under the LC orange round thing and I can see the other end solder point to put my lead on. The one closer runs under J8 and I also cant see where to put my leads.

How does one repair a lead?

Thanks Tilt as well. Hopefully we are getting close. Its kinda fun diagnosing, although I have too many other projects right now. SO I will stick with this one to get it done.
qbert
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 30

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 02:06:34 PM »

Cowboy
The green battery is NiMH it is alkaline.
You should use a mild acid solution like vinegar and water then lots of water to neutralize corrosive property of the green battery.
Baking soda is going the wrong way on the PH scale.

Trace repair is tricky but it can be done.

Rich
smileman83
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 02:37:24 PM »

Okay will try vinegar and water. I assume we are not flooding the circuit board- qtips yes??

Since the traces arent badly broken, would a conductive pen repair work? Anyone with experiences on that- Durable enough?
smileman83
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 02:40:35 PM »

Also, to check if they are broken, I guess i could scrape down to copper in two spots well away from the corroded areas and use my DMM on these. Just dont have solder spots for two of these traces because they run under other components.
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 02:50:39 PM »

Scraping the traces is fine and will also be helpful as a solder point for a jumper wire if necessary.
smileman83
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 10:51:28 PM »

Scraped all leads that were near the battery terminals that looked corroded and was able to test continuity and there were no breaks above or below board. Could this mean simply the corrosion was giving the flaky symptoms? Should I simply put board back in and try. I coated the small scraped areas with nail polish.
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 10:59:11 PM »

Give it a try,  can't hurt anything. Could still be something else causing the problem altogether, but you just tackled the biggest culprit
qbert
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 30

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 11:04:03 PM »

That would be the way I would go. What have you got to lose but a little time that it will take..
It does not take much resistance change to make that part of the circuit malfunction.
You may get lucky and just the clean up will do the trick.

Rich
smileman83
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2013, 11:36:30 PM »

So started the game up and everything started fine, but got the vision screen to come up with COM link failure instead of the slingo screen. But I was not getting the door open messages so I remembered reading that these machines stack error messages and maybe since this was the old erro message I just needed to open the door and reset, so I opened the door and used the reset key, and then the reels spun, the video screen said Please Wait and BINGO ( or should i say SLINGO!!). Got teh normal messages in the VFD (sp?) about Closure MB and Restart, but played several games and it seems to be working. I'll leave it on and see how she goes.

Couple more things- Should I replace the small coin battery or wait till I get a low battery message. I read about people changing them to a battery holder, so you dont have to resolder the battery each time ( Not sure where to get the parts though).

Secondly, Cowboy I was planning on making a donation anyway to the group. Last time I made one ( about 4 months ago) , they had to email me and ask who made this payment. Is there a way to make it so they know its from me directly?

And to all who helped- you guys are awesome. My brother in law was impressed and asked how did you fix that. I told him there were way may people like me who enjoy these games and pinball and old video etc and we help each other. I hope to contrbute as I learn more.

I am starting on a GK to Video Slot conversion after the holidays so I am sure I will be back-lol

Thanks,

Bruce
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.