Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:46:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Progressive Controllers, Displays and Slot Toppers
| |-+  Mikohn Progressive Systems.
| | |-+  Another What Have I Got Here Thread
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another What Have I Got Here Thread  (Read 18148 times)
Lord-Data
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 11

« on: December 08, 2013, 10:45:55 PM »

Ok,
Well, it's time for another What Have I Got Here thread.

I've picked up a couple of 2-board/panel LED Matrix displays, and a single larger one, made up of 9 of the panels/boards, all daisy-chained together.
Each of the controller boards are the same. I've attached some pics which show some serial numbers/barcodes.

The sticker has:
341-012-90C GRAPH DRVR2(FCC) 00221380 on each of the smaller boards, and silk-screens is:
Graphics Driver 2 Rev C
Part #321-011-20

I guess the questions are, what have I got so I can search further about them, and what typically drives these boards? What protocol/method could I use to make my own driver for them?
I'd love to have an arduino/R.Pi type of system able to drive these panels.
A quick google on the UCN5832A chips that are on boards show they are an older 32-bit serial driver chip, which can be used for LED matrixes, so the question is, how do I use it? The connectors seem to be a 10-pin cable, which allows driving of the whole board, so I'm guessing some form of addressing at play?

Thanks if anyone can shed some light here

* photo 1 (2).JPG (813.59 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 607 times.)

* photo 3 (1).JPG (843.12 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 488 times.)
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 02:15:34 AM »

I'd have to look at one of the Supreme displays I have at home to be sure, but I think they're Supreme displays, which can be controlled with a Supreme controller.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
uniman
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 695

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 02:51:34 AM »

I'd have to look at one of the Supreme displays I have at home to be sure, but I think they're Supreme displays, which can be controlled with a Supreme controller.
That's what they are, Surpreme displays.
Lord-Data
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 08:07:25 PM »

Thanks heaps for the input guys.
As a side note, how "available" are these Supreme controllers? I didn't see much looking on eBay just now..
Alternatively, do you know any details about the protocol between the Controller and the boards themselves? Some basic research on the UCN chips show they are serial 32-bit latch chips, so I guess it's a matter of clocking out the bits one by one to the chain of chips, but I'm wondering if it's more complicated than that?
Labrat

Total Karma Storms: 1

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 11:13:04 PM »

It looks like the inside of a progressive display like jackpot carnival or cash express which is run fro a paltronics controller. Only guessing as have some thing similar in workshop
uniman
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 11:23:17 PM »

Those are Mikohn boards, I have a supreme display with same part #.
Mine just sits on a shelf, haven't used it yet.
Pretty sure you need a Supreme controller board and power supply to drive the graphics and a Con box (There are different Con's, not sure which one needed)if you connect slots to it. Also believe you need the proper Supreme controller that matches the size of you display, looks like 3 by ??.

Jay is the resident expert here on the Supreme.
Lord-Data
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 11:25:25 PM »

Those are Mikohn boards, I have a supreme display with same part #.
Mine just sits on a shelf, haven't used it yet.
Pretty sure you need a Supreme controller board and power supply to drive the graphics and a Con box (There are different Con's, not sure which one needed)if you connect slots to it. Also believe you need the proper Supreme controller that matches the size of you display, looks like 3 by ??.

Jay is the resident expert here on the Supreme.

I've got a 3x3 panel of these, and a couple of 1x2 made up of the same display boards.
uniman
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 11:47:14 PM »

Looks like a Con2 needed to interface to slots, a Supreme controller for graphics. You use Mikohn PSP software connected to the Supreme with an RS232 cable with pins 1 & 5 grounded at the Supreme end.

I've done StandAlone controllers but never messed with the Supreme.

Here is a link that may help; http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=4971.0
Lord-Data
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 01:40:34 AM »

So I need a Supreme controller board, or to make my own controller, to make this panel do something useful. I'm not worried about progressive, I'm more thinking text if anything. I can't seem to find anywhere to buy a 2nd hand Supreme Controller locally (Australia). I'm fluent enough in programming Arduino and similar devices, I'm more interested in if anyone knows the pinout of the cable between the Supreme controller and the displays (10 pin wire). The main chips on the displays are UCN5832A, which are serial matrix drivers, and some searching shows that of the 10 pins, there is a good chance that the wires are made up of only a few data lines, and the other 50% are ground lines. Does this sound right to anyone in the know?

The matrix the online document talks about uses a second controller sub-system to switch colours by switching power planes, however it seems that's not the case in this one. It looks like there is a chance that each colour is a 'pixel/pin' on the matrix, so each LED is effectively represented as 3 bits. Anyone know any more about the technical side of these things?

Thanks,
qbert
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 30

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 03:11:49 PM »

Check with rudysdeals (John Haas) I got a supreme controller from him not too long ago.
They are fun to play with lots of info here if you look.

Rich
qbert
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 12:48:31 PM »

When you get a supreme controller you will need a few things.
1) PSP cable (easy to make) to be able to program from a laptop with a serial port.
2) Mikhon download for windows software program to load supreme.

See attached may help you get started.
PM me with your email address, I can send you more information.

Rich

* Supreme_UserManual.pdf (357.25 KB - downloaded 1752 times.)
Lord-Data
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 10:04:14 PM »

ok,
so I now have a supreme, and I have it powered on.
I've made the cable as directed, and tested connections, all looks good.
I've made up a VM with Windows 98 to run the software since it didn't seem to work too well on 64bit windows 7. Connected the serial port through to the VM, installed Mikohn Download 2.0 and it runs and looks ok.
However, all I get is 'Error receiving directory'. On the Mikohn I have LED4 (red): ON, which according to the manual means Voltage OK, and I've got LED1 (green) flashing, which the manual just lists 'on' as 'all ok'. It doesn't list what flashing means.
In the VM, for some reason I've got 2 serial ports. If I got to 'Set Address', it looks like I can change port from 1 to 2, but that makes no difference, still 'Error receiving directory'. I'm curious, do I need to know 'Group Address' and "Address ID" for this unit? if so, I don't know those values. Is there a way to factory reset the unit?
Thanks,
Lord-Data
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 11:48:21 PM »

Update:
Got the downloader app running on my desktop natively (without the VM) and exactly the same situation. I'm guessing either I need to know the ID's, or the flashing green light means something is wrong. Anyone know what flashing on the green light means?

Edit:
Ok, I think it might be the ID stuff.. when I do 'reset' from Downloader, I get a flash on the serial lights on the board, so it seems to be responding which is a good sign.
I get flashes from the VM as well as natively, so looks like both are working.
Lord-Data
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 01:28:31 AM »

ok, got a display panel hooked up today, applied 5v and get a red LED on the back of the display, however nothing from the Supreme! Still doesn't display anything, and the green power light is still constantly flashing. To me I wonder if it's a watchdog reset or something similar got it stuck in a boot loop? I've tried the 'hyperterminal' trick to talk to it, and get nothing via serial from it. Really can't get any signs that can confirm this supreme is working, aside from seeing a RECV LED flash when I issue it commands, but that could merely be an electrical response, not a logic response.

Anyone got a Supreme and can confirm for me that the green LED on the board should be solid on? Better yet, anyone know what flashing means? Smiley
qbert
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 03:28:52 AM »

Are you sure you have the ribbon cable properly attached to both the supreme and the input side of the display screen as marked on the board?

With nothing but the supreme and the display hooked up you should be able to apply power to each board of the display panel. (That means for your 3x3 you should have power going to 9 boards in 9 places).  With the switch on the supreme toward the ribbon cable socket, you should be able to now apply power to the supreme. The top panel of the display should almost immediately you should see the boot sequence as it goes through it's self test. If this does not happen something is wrong. Assuming you see nothing on the panel you can try lobotomizing the supreme by placing the switch on the supreme board in the other direction (toward the voltage regulator heat sink) Remove the power from the supreme, then press both buttons on the board at the same time and  while then applying power. If the supreme is working you should see a rather long boot sequence with comment about erasing memory etc. don't worry this puts the unit to all of it's original default settings. Move the switch the other way to the run position and you should see some Mikhon display logo etc. on the top left panel on the screen. If you are getting nothing after this you either have it hooked up wrong or the supreme is not functioning.

When my supreme is operating in a normal mode the first led green light is always on and the fourth led red light is also always on. I believe when programing from my laptop the second led green one flashes.

Jay, feel free to chime in any time here.

Thanks
Rich
Lord-Data
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 03:34:49 AM »

ok, then, I believe I have a problem with my Supreme Smiley
I have the display panel powered on, red LED on the display panel
I then power on the Supreme (and yeah, I've checked and re-checked the ribbon, and even tried a different ribbon cable just to be sure!) and NOTHING happens on the display panel. I've tried 2 display panels, no difference.
The first green LED is flashing, not solid ON, so I think this indicates I have an issue. Not sure where to go with it beyond this tho!
I've already tried the factory reset procedure, still nothign on the screen. I've got no way to tell if it's actually doing it and I'm just not seeing it, or just not working at all. I'm thinking that last one, given the flashing light, and I still can't get downloader to pick up the device, even after doing a reset procedure.
Just checked VCC & Ground pins with a meter, and get 5.01v dead on, so that's working at least.
qbert
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 03:59:57 AM »

I think I agree with you that you have a problem with the supreme. The high maintenance item on the board is the VR with the heat sink attached. When unit is operating properly that thing gets pretty darn hot. I believe it's a 7805 5v regulator and they are pretty cheap.
You did say voltage was spot on so may not be it. Other than trying reseating any of the socketed chips I'm at a loss of what else to try.
Was the supreme board supposed to be functional when you purchased it?
Provide a pic of the board maybe we can see something wrong on it
 Rich
Lord-Data
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 04:06:58 AM »

I think I agree with you that you have a problem with the supreme. The high maintenance item on the board is the VR with the heat sink attached. When unit is operating properly that thing gets pretty darn hot. I believe it's a 7805 5v regulator and they are pretty cheap.
You did say voltage was spot on so may not be it. Other than trying reseating any of the socketed chips I'm at a loss of what else to try.
Was the supreme board supposed to be functional when you purchased it?
Provide a pic of the board maybe we can see something wrong on it
 Rich

I was given the board by a friend, he's a technician in the industry. he dug it out of storage, didn't have the capacity to test it. He believes it was working when it went into storage, but he couldn't test now, so who knows Smiley

I just traced the line of the green LED back to the IC near the battery (the LT691CN), and looked up what this chip does. Its a voltage monitoring and battery charging IC. I'll have to look into what can make that chip go bad, or report the led like that. maybe the battery is dead?
Lord-Data
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 09:54:05 PM »

ok, final update, yes, seems board is dead dead. Looking to try to source another now, lol.
My tracing was wrong, the green LED is actually driven by the main CPU. Sounds like a constant reboot/reset cycle. Probably repairable by someone that know's what to look for, or for someone with schematics for this board, but I guess there aren't many bothering to repair these!
I'll see what I can come up with for a replacement board!
qbert
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 10:53:06 PM »

Did you try reseating the chips on the board?  I would still replace that 7805 voltage regulator just for grins

Rich
Lord-Data
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2014, 10:58:31 PM »

I'll order one, I won't rule out trying to fix this one, it won't hurt to have a spare, but I think i'm resigned to having to find a new one.
From looking at the board, it appears that VREG chip is only used when teh device is running on 12v power. I've got it powered from 5v right now on my desk, and the problem exists regardless of what voltage is powering it, so I don't think the vreg is the cause of the issue, but I'll replace it since they're a cheap component anyway.
Any other common failures on these boards to look out for? And yeah, already done the re-seat and clean for the ICs
Lord-Data
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2014, 11:33:16 PM »

Ok, question for anyone with a Supreme, or experience with one.
I pulled the EPROM off the board, and thought I'd give it a power up without the ROM, just to see what difference it makes. I found a thread on here with a guy missing the U3 ROM on his, and his description was just that it "didn't work". Interestingly in my case, with the ROM removed, the green light still flashes, but MUCH slower. It now stays green for much longer, maybe 1-2 seconds, then flashes off, and repeats. Still nothing via RS232, or on the display panel.
When I put the EPROM back in, it returns to it's usual fast flashing/pulsing.

Just want to confirm if this is normal behaviour for these boards with no ROM present? If so, at least it shows this one is doing *something* right. Maybe I need to replace the EPROM perhaps..

My ROM is labelled Cycle Stealer Rev F. ver 3.09 (C/S A263h) - 10/7/2002
Which of the firmware versions on the download section would be the most suitable to program a new chip with, just to test/eliminate that being the problem?
qbert
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 12:25:27 AM »

I power my supremes with 5 volts and that  VR  is still used and it gets hot.
My Rom versions are older than yours 2.16 cs F777 from 1998.
Never tried to power up without the rom.

Rich
Lord-Data
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 12:36:30 AM »

Do you know if any of the roms in the download section are suitable for a replacement? I've got a friend who can burn the suitable type of chip, so rather than re-flash the one I've got, I figured I'd get a dump from here, and have him burn me another. Then I can swap it in and see.
Yes, I can see it also smooths the 5v line, and yes, mine gets hot too. Still dead on 5.01v on the VCC pins on the board tho, so while I've ordered a new transistor, I don't think that will be the source of the problem.
qbert
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 01:49:03 AM »

Can't send copyrighted files on NLG.
Hope you can find a replacement.  yes
I get 4.98V on the VCC pins
Just for the hell of it post a picture of the board so we can see it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 02:06:28 AM by qbert » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.