Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2024, 04:24:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  IGT S+ - 6AMP FUSE BLOWN - NOW NO GAME?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: IGT S+ - 6AMP FUSE BLOWN - NOW NO GAME?  (Read 6730 times)
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 323

Me at work

« on: April 19, 2010, 01:46:58 PM »

In the process of converting an S+ - I was having problems getting the BV to work - so I decided to try a different board (did not check it first) and it blew the 6amp fuse - now no matter what board I try - no display at all - tower light top flashes slow - bottom flashes fast - bv cycles - thats it - the power harness that goes from the Power Supply to the mpu is okay.  Did I fry the MPU or ?   CPUs are good in other games.   
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 02:43:26 PM »

I'd swap in a known good display B.
Maybe only the display blew?
Jiggle the power harness going to the motherboard...pins might be oxidized.
I had one that only worked when the molex connector was halfway pulled up and slanted to the right.
What I did was get a new connection contact on the pins and the display lit right up!
The receptor pins in the molex may be shot now giving you headaches.
Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 288

513-984-2201

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 03:07:56 PM »

Barry    if the game works ok, but no displays, check the mother board connections, there is a six pin connector( I think itis from the meters) if that is put in the wrong connector it take down the strobe signal and no displays.

Jim

on the board that blew the fuse,check the diode that makes the +vb its probably shorted. I forget the CR # . I'll let you know later.

CR2 and D2
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 03:24:44 PM by Jim » Logged

MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 03:29:28 PM »

That little black 6-pin molex connector fits in two spots on the motherboard...
Was always a bad design... hissy fit

The 6-pin black molex comes from the hopper harness and that should be put in
all the way to the back ( Onto the J13 header) next to the longer connector on
the furthest right-hand side of the motherboard...

The 6-pin black molex that comes from the meters/counters are mostly brown wires with different colored stripes.
That one goes onto the J6 header at the front left.
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Me at work

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 03:46:57 PM »

I guess I wasn't concise - the reels do not spin - therefore no game - the display is dead - display worked PRIOR to the fuse issue with the bad board (cpu had a trace that was soldered - I did not test - that is until now - this board blew the fuse).  So the display board could have blown - will try another one - will try another mother board as well - the connections going to the mother board look okay - Like I said - I checked the main power cord from the power supply to the mpu (the one with the white molex - it is fine).  I feel I either fried the mpu or the power supply? 
ashyron
In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 255

RIP Dad. I love you. 5-26-10

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 03:54:43 PM »

In the process of converting an S+ - I was having problems getting the BV to work - so I decided to try a different board (did not check it first) and it blew the 6amp fuse - now no matter what board I try - no display at all - tower light top flashes slow - bottom flashes fast - bv cycles - thats it - the power harness that goes from the Power Supply to the mpu is okay.  Did I fry the MPU or ?   CPUs are good in other games.    

This sounds like the exact problem I had with one of our games when I put in Triple Diamond.  I thought I blew up the game.  I took a board out and put it in a different machine and ran across the same problem.  So there's two games down, so I thought.  A friend of mine told me what to do to fix the problem and I haven't had a problem yet.  

Unless you replaced the power harness with a new one, I would take off the power harness and sand down the 6 prongs inside the machine it connects to and also replace or repair the wire harness.  I choose repair.  It took me about 10 minutes to pull each one of the wires out of the molex connector (one at a time of course), sand them down, stretch them back out and put them all back in.  

I haven't had a problem since.  Those power harnesses cause more problems than one might think.  

Well, it's been almost 2 years.  I'm kinda back. Undecided
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 04:48:17 PM »

I feel I either fried the mpu or the power supply?

If it's one of those two, I'd lean towards the MPU before the power supply.

Are the reels stiff with the power on?  Is the denomination lamp lit up?

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Me at work

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »

its not the power harness as I swapped that first.  it has to be the mpu for the power supply - so I will take a mpu out of another game and try that.  thanks.
ashyron
In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 255

RIP Dad. I love you. 5-26-10

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 05:50:06 PM »

its not the power harness as I swapped that first.  it has to be the mpu for the power supply - so I will take a mpu out of another game and try that.  thanks.

All that typing and it's not the harness?? Scratch Head Scratch Head

bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

I tried Tongue Out

Well, it's been almost 2 years.  I'm kinda back. Undecided
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 08:53:21 PM »

hey B.
 Are the reels "stiff" when you power up the machine?
knagl's post is important!
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Me at work

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 09:07:36 PM »

they didn't move if thats what you mean (that is jump when first powered up).   I didn't check to see if they were energized.   I kind of feel it is the mpu as the machine would not clear properly nor set - the meter was acting up BEFORE  I  blew the fuse.   
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 11:42:50 PM »

At this point, about the best thing you can do for that board is try a clear chip...
If that doesn't go into the clearing sequences and get your display going, then it's either your display is bad or the MPU board.
I'd try the problem display in a known good machine and
a known good MPU in the problem machine.
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 79

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 11:43:17 PM »

Try to turn the reels by hand, do they turn easy or are they notchy and stiff? If you changed the chips on the MPU during this change you may have run into a problem I had. The little metal contacts in the chip socket can break off and stay under the socket and short out the traces or just not make contact. Worth a look
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Me at work

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 11:56:10 PM »

board has the clear chip in it (it is a good clear chip) - will try swapping out the mpu - tried good cpus - connections are good - the bad board blew something beside the 6amp fuse. 
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 07:08:21 AM »

I wonder if the mpu blew the small transformer on the MPU tray?

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 11:18:21 AM »

I wonder if the mpu blew the small transformer on the MPU tray?

The best way to check that is to swap an MPU board with THAT tray!
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Me at work

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 01:36:32 PM »

well - the problem is the meter board is NG   since I did have an issue with the board once - I swapped it out and voila - the new meter works.  still cannot get the BV to accept even after running the set - different boards etc.  will work on that one later.   My visual check of the meter board showed no apparent damage - check the one cap on the board and it tested okay - so I am assuming 1 of the ICs - easier to replace the unit that mess with the board at this point.  Anyone have a meter panel for sale?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.